Mountain Khaki Pants

xtatik

Explorer
Oil finished cotton like what Filson makes is actually very good in inclement weather. Its totally wind and water proof. You also have wool that maintains 80% of its insulation when wet, and down that is very warm, light and packable.

Natural clothing is also very comfortable because it breaks in better than synthetics.

Synthetics are awesome for certain things also, but natural is not obsolete by any means. Most people just haven't forked over the investment to find out how truly great WELL crafted natural clothing is.

Yeah, Being a birdhunter I'm familiar with Filson oil and tin cloth products. Lotsa' nostalgic romance built into the brand in that sport, but form follows function for me in the field and I have given up on them in recent years due to better synthetics. I used to have a pair of their tin cloth upland chaps and they did a decent job of turning back cactus thorns but they're nowhere near as good as the synthetics I wear now for that purpose. Cabela's Briarguard pants use a type of ripstop nylon pant with a Turtleskin facing that not only repels thorns, they will stop a Rattlesnake strike as well. They are lighter than a pair of jeans and repel water better as well. If they do get wet they dry very quickly.

http://www.turtleskin.com/puncture-protection.aspx

Explorer
Actually hunting is why I dislike many synthetics. Most animals are too savvy to be caught by something that sounds like a large potato chip bag.

I have a pair of nylon analog pants that I love for cutting firewood and skiing though!

xtatik

Explorer
Actually hunting is why I dislike many synthetics. Most animals are too savvy to be caught by something that sounds like a large potato chip bag.

I have a pair of nylon analog pants that I love for cutting firewood and skiing though!
That's funny, but true in many of the fabrics..lol. I can understand that when chasing the bigger critters...the birds don't seem to spook thankfully.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I'm a huge fan and so is my wife! These things work well for everyday, really no place you can't wear them!

Attachments

• CF012278-Edit.jpg
    CF012278-Edit.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 88
  • _BJE0169-web.jpg
    _BJE0169-web.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 73
  • MexTrip06-027.jpg
    MexTrip06-027.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 112

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Gotta love MK paints!

My first pair of MK's was the free offer that OJ mag did and I received the Alpine Utilities version.
I am not a tall dude and my inseam is a just under 30.... yep I am short.
So I did not know how long was their 30" inseam and how it would fit.
When I received it, it did fit kinda long.. but that was with my sneakers.
I threw them into the wash (hot wash and hot dry) and retried them and they shrunk up a little. The back side of the cuff was now not near the floor.
They felt and looked better.
Well, after a few days of yard work and a weekend of wheeling - with boots (Timberland for yard work and my 5-10's trails hiking boots for wheeling); I am impressed how they feel and the room to bend, lift, carry and of course just sitting in a rig.
I really like how they have a horizontal section of the left hand front pocket to allow you to place a knife there. Easy access to my knife.
I use my CRKT Folding Razel.... Keeps a edge and I use it at work too.
CR4020RH_xlarge_28201_large_104.jpg

4020rhclip.jpg

I am very pleased of my MK, so today, I ordered two more MKs, another AU and their flannel lined version. I plan to use them for a long 4 day event at Gilmer Tx (Toyota Jamboree 2011).
I will post up my thoughts on the flannel version after January.
BTW - I would had bought either the convertible paints or shorts... but they did not have the size and color combo in stock. :(
That means I will get them later on. :)

I would recommend these for any wheeler or expo'er.
Great pair of paints. :victory:

The Good:
Tough.
Ample of pockets in just the right places.
Pocket knife place holder.
Flexible enough for all types of duties.

The Bad:
No odd number inseam sizes.
Only a Three of colors offered.

4.5 stars out of 5.

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I just bought two pairs. Yellowstone and then the slightly darker khaki color. Love them, 32x34, noticed they are a little snug on the waist, but maybe thats all the food talking.

-Sam

Andy G

Adventurer
I've never "talked up" a pair of pants before. Any clothing, for that matter.

But the MK's I got as part of the 3 year OJ subscription?

Wow.

I tell EVERYONE about them. They are so freakin' comfortable, they fit great, and they are durable as all heck.

I never thought I would buy a pair of $80 pants in my life...that's about to change, as I place an order with some Christmas $$$ I received from family.

Yes, Virginia...Mountain Khaki's are THAT good. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears