Mounting a ARB awning question

roamingaz

Explorer
I have a 8' ARB awning and I am trying to find the best way to mount it to the side of my four wheel camper. I found a few ideas that simply glue it then screw into the awning and the side of the camper. I have also thought of bolting it through the side of the camper but I am not sure I want a hole in it yet.
Any ideas ?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Pictures of what we are dealing with are always great. Assuming I'm picturing this correctly I think you will have to mount something to the camper, whether a bracket that the ARB mounts to or not is up to you, that way you don't need to run it 100% of the time.

A

davidshourd

Adventurer
wondering if anyone has mounted the ARB awning to the side of their FWC or any other camper? I am really after some sort of quick mount option so I could flip it from passanger to driver side with little issue. any thoughts? here is a link to what the extrusion on the back looks like. I have a couple thoughts, and no hesitation of putting through bolts in the camper. but any ideas would be appriciated. It would be pretty easy to just perma mount it one one side or the other, but I like the idea of it being on either side given the camp site/situation.

here is the link to what the bracket looks like on the back of the awning: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44502

davidshourd

Adventurer
The awning showed up today. ARB really makes a quality product. upon getting it out of the box I had an idea onhow to mount it. I used a couple pieces of sheet aluminum and cut them into a hook shape that would hook onto the cleats I have mounted to the rim of the camper roof. I am thinking I would buy some more of these type of cleats and mount them at equal distance on the back and other side, so the mounts on the awning would never need to move. These pictures show my quick mock up. I think I will work on refining it tonight and then get the exact shape cut out via a CNC machine at a local shop. probably use 1/8" aluminum. This will allow for a quick switch from side to side or to the back. as for stowing while on the move, I will just toss it up on the roof and strap it down. it only weights about 20-30# so its pretty easy to flip from side to side. my first impressions of this awning: I am impressed, really easy to deploy. easier with two people but I think I am getting a system figured out for just one person. (sorry for the garbage cell phone pics, its all I had.) any other thoughts for a quick mount?

Attachments

• IMAGE_141.jpg
    IMAGE_141.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAGE_140.jpg
    IMAGE_140.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMAGE_139.jpg
    IMAGE_139.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 279

davidshourd

Adventurer
I think I am having a conversation with my self here...but maybe someone will find it worth while. :) after many trials of different designs and ideas I ended up hard mounting it to the drivers side of the camper. talked to FWC and they told me about the 5" (+/-) channel that rounds down the length of the camper and they typicaly mount their fiamma awnings with a dozen or so self tapping screws along that. so thats what I did. used some RV seal tape and then caulked around the extrusions on the back of the awning for some extra insurence. the thing is not going anywhere or leaking. I have a light on the drivers side and added a storage compartment on that side (previous post) so its kind of command central on that side, gas hook up, light and power ports. pictures to come after using it this up coming weekend. turns out that the lowest point on the awning is about 6'-5" considering my lift on my truck so its about perfect (I am 6'-2").

davidshourd

Adventurer
here is a couple pictures of it in action this past weekend. found some amazing camp sites with no one around up past Mt Hood. even ran into another guy ith a FWC on a Tacoma up at Timberline lodge, he was hitting the board against the LATE season snow they keep groomed on hood.

Attachments

• awn1.JPG
    awn1.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 317
  • awn2.JPG
    awn2.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 272

Super Doody

Explorer
I think I am having a conversation with my self here...but maybe someone will find it worth while. :) after many trials of different designs and ideas I ended up hard mounting it to the drivers side of the camper. talked to FWC and they told me about the 5" (+/-) channel that rounds down the length of the camper and they typicaly mount their fiamma awnings with a dozen or so self tapping screws along that. so thats what I did. used some RV seal tape and then caulked around the extrusions on the back of the awning for some extra insurence. the thing is not going anywhere or leaking. I have a light on the drivers side and added a storage compartment on that side (previous post) so its kind of command central on that side, gas hook up, light and power ports. pictures to come after using it this up coming weekend. turns out that the lowest point on the awning is about 6'-5" considering my lift on my truck so its about perfect (I am 6'-2").

Hi David,

I found your post to be valuable :sombrero:. Did you have to move the clasp on FWC? I'm thinking about install an ARB awning on my Eagle FWC.

Thanks,

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger