Mounting a composite camper box on 4x4 E350 chassis

Steve_382

Trying doing all the work yourself, and ask how many $/hr you'd like to be paid, and ~$200k for the finished camper-van doesn't seem so bad... ;)
And the Winni Ekko is $180 to $200. The quality on AEONrv and OEV seem worth a bit more money to me. Also, most people don't have the space, tools, ability, etc. to do a home build.

For what its' worth, the 2000 Wheeled Coach E450 Ambulance I'm converting to a camper at work uses OE Ford body mounts in OE locations along the frame, with the box hard mounted to the cab. Likewise, my 1995 Quigley E350 DRW with an enclosed service box also uses OE Ford body mounts along the frame, and the box is hard mounted to the cab. I can't speak for the ambo, but I definitely hear movement when my Quigley is flexed out, to the point where I am concerned I'll rip a mount out of the service box. I planned on losing the service box in favor of a pivot-mounted flatbed with a removable composite box, and a rear cab cap to separate the cab from the habitat.
how big is the box on your e450?

joeblack5

In my 1998 e350 Quigley 7.3 diesel extended van all the doors are difficult to open or close as soon as you lift a wheel of the ground. My 1997 e350 Quigley srw with a 5 window busbody has similar problems.
Now one wheel of the ground is by no means heavy off roading. if an event like tht would happen at 20 mph then the forces would be a couple of factors higher. I would not like to depend on super stiff glue joints alone. If they crack the strength is gone. overstress a riveted or spot-welded box that is designed for flex abuse and you will be fine.
I would not like a super stiff glued composite box since local stresses can become very high.
Our 404 unimog build with a busbody and flexing subframe is embodying my distrust of super stiff glue joints,.....not to mention the bizarre high price of composite.

Johan

rruff

Explorer
I would not like a super stiff glued composite box since local stresses can become very high.
That's why a flexible chassis needs a pivoting or spring loaded subframe. Or at least it's a good idea.

My frame isn't as flexible as some, but I used poly isolators (4 in front, 2 in the back) with the rear ones on a centerline so they act as pivots. Only gone around 800 miles but so far so good.

simple

Adventurer
In my 1998 e350 Quigley 7.3 diesel extended van all the doors are difficult to open or close as soon as you lift a wheel of the ground. My 1997 e350 Quigley srw with a 5 window busbody has similar problems.
Now one wheel of the ground is by no means heavy off roading. if an event like tht would happen at 20 mph then the forces would be a couple of factors higher. I would not like to depend on super stiff glue joints alone. If they crack the strength is gone. overstress a riveted or spot-welded box that is designed for flex abuse and you will be fine.
Our 404 unimog build with a busbody and flexing subframe is embodying my distrust of super stiff glue joints,.....not to mention the bizarre high price of composite.

Johan
I had an 01 e350 Quigley and the rear doors didn't work on uneven ground let alone lifting a tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle