Mounting a Rtt on an 01 Xterra

wardrow

Adventurer
I could use a little help guys and galls. I am going to be mounting a tent on a customers 01 xterra and I have a feeling i will need to make some custom brackets. Does anybody know the O.D. of the roof rack tubing? I went to the local Nissan dealer and the oldest they had to measure was an 08 which came out to be 2.2 inches.

I would not mount it to the factory rack, sorry. Follow the tubing to the bases that are bolted to the roof... PLASTIC. I can almost guarantee if they do any wheeling or bouncing around on bumpy roads they run the risk of the bases breaking.

I would argue that with your customer first...

Xterabl

Adventurer
Diameter of rack tubing for 1st & 2nd generation Xterras is about the same, ~2 inches or a little more. But the tubes are closer together on the 2nd generation X's.
Certainly, I'd guess there are at least a few Xterras with RTTs...maybe search around the forum to find them. While the mount footpads are plastic, they are engineered such that loads are born by the mount points to the roof. Each of the 4 plastic mount locations are fixed with 4 machine screws (something like metric 6 mm sized). So, to check for strength, consider the shear strength of 4x4 = 16x 6mm diameter steel bolts...probably it's not too bad.

trump

Adventurist
I haven't looked at a 1st gen rack up close, but I can't imagine it's much different from a 2nd gen. I made some simple brackets for our 2nd gen and got some longer bolts... works great.

2011-08-04232604.jpg

CIMG1336.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior