Mounting an awning with a high top

gtbensley

Explorer
How are people doing it? E350 with a high roof, ex ambulance. Not sure if the skin is Fiber glass or an aluminum skin. Would like a bracket into the gutter but not finding a ton of info. Could always drill the top and add some backing plates and mount to those, but would rather not have that large of a project. Any ideas? Pictures are appreciated.

flightcancled

Explorer
The tops should be fiberglass. However there may be some steel reinforcement to comply with federal roll-over regulations. My high top cab had it anyway.

Curious to hear what people think.

gtbensley

Explorer
The tops should be fiberglass. However there may be some steel reinforcement to comply with federal roll-over regulations. My high top cab had it anyway.

Curious to hear what people think.

I think you're right, I do have some sort of cage under the top. Accessing it to bolt in might be difficult.....,and just a bigger project then I want.

Petrolburner

Explorer
My cage is clearly visible inside, it's not part of the fiberglass top. I drilled through the fiberglass and mounted my ARB awing with 10 6mm stainless bolts. The top has some curve to it so I used some plastic spacers for the 2 front and 2 aft most bolts. In hindsight I wished I'd added spacers to the top row of bolts to level it out a little bit. The arms are designed to flex but I could have them flexing a little less if the awning were more aligned with the vertical axis.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Here was the night before leaving for Moab and installing the awning. Note the ladder with a board on top of it to be used as scaffolding.

Untitled by Trevor Stellrecht, on Flickr

First time being deployed

So the top curves front to back and angles inwards. Gutter mounts would have worked fine or maybe even better. Certainly would have been easier.

I have it mounted up high so that it clears the doors easily, and so it has a good slope even with the poles extended high enough to walk under without ducking. I have to use my step stool toolbox for getting the aft strap fastened. It's a challenge to roll up for a short guy like me, especially with two sprained wrists from crashing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears