Mounting jacks to Grandby

bootlegger

Observer
I've recently purchased a 2003 FWC Grandby.This unit was picked up at the factory by the original owner and never had jacks mounted.
I have purchased a new set of Reico (4) jacks with the intention of machining my own aluminium brackets.
My question is, does anyone know what the 4 corners of the camper consist of structurally?
I'm assuming aluminium angle or possibly tube?
Thanks

eblau

Adventurer
Aluminum tube and its very thin. FWC puts screws through the jack mounts directly into the frame on all corners. If you have the time I would drill and use rivnuts then bolt the jack brackets on with machine screws. The problem with the self tappers is with time and weight they start to loosen up and the jacks get wobbly. The rivnut/ machine screw approach would tight hold for years and seal better. Just my 2 cents. If the camper is not going to spend a lot of time on the jacks I guess I would just drill and use the screws like the factory did and build a nice dolly for the camper to rest on when off the truck.

EDIT: Did you score the one posted on CL a few weeks back? That was a crazy deal!

bootlegger

Observer
I was hoping it was angle and thick enough to tap.I appreciate the info. Yes it was on CL. I got it pretty reasonable, but I wasn't able to try anything out other than the fan and exterior lights. Fingers crossed that the refer and heater work.And BTW the jacks aren't cheap! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78