Mounting winch to stock JK bumper

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I have a Warn 9.5Ti winch with brand new synthetic winch line sitting on my shop floor from my 2006 Wrangler and would like to mount it to my JK. When money allows I would like to get the AEV bumper for my Jeep but that is down the road. I see most winch mounts are in the 300 plus range which would be a healthy amount to put toward the AEV bumper. Is there any other alternatives I dont know about out there that would work for the time being?

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I had a WARN winch plate when I had a JK. Worked great and was cheaper than a full bumper. Now there are several other companies who make winch plates for a good deal cheaper than WARN.

Idlehour

Observer
Harbor freight has a winch plate for cheap ($30 #90476 iirc). I have mine mounted upside down, with the fairlead on the outside of the bumper using spacers. I had to notch the little chin bar under the bumper for the lever, and grind the plate in a spot or two. It's probably even easier if you mount it right side up.
Jk-forum has a bunch of writeups. Searching 90476 might help.

Last edited:

Idlehour

Observer
Here's a few pics. The spacers for the fairlead don't. Work great. If I did it again and mount it directly to the plate. The blue thing is where the winch remote plugs in under the hood.
47ca1375.jpg

fa0e31e8.jpg

b8c00d37.jpg

forsakenfuture

Explorer
Here's a few pics. The spacers for the fairlead don't. Work great. If I did it again and mount it directly to the plate. The blue thing is where the winch remote plugs in under the hood.
47ca1375.jpg

fa0e31e8.jpg

b8c00d37.jpg

Thats amazing and came out much better then i would think possible!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Check cl, eBay, etc as many folks go the same route, then sell after getting their preferred bumper. However, it is a nice way to keep the weight down going the winch tray way.

ColinJ

Rough Country makes a few cheap mounts.. I thought about getting one until I could afford my ARB but then I remembered that is what Visa is for ;)

Maine07jk

Adventurer
Personally I would save your money like I did for a winch bumper. I feel mounting the winch on our bumpers puts it too high and makes it less effective. Some also talk of the winch blocking needed air to the radiator when it mounted that high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78