Moving up in the world.

TJVach

Observer
Hey folks. You have been so informative about everything else that I figured you would know the answer for this. Every picture on here seems pretty darn nice so I can't go wrong. I have been using a Sony Cybershot from a while back and want to get a new one as it has broke on me from all the years of abuse I put it through hahaha just kidding. I have been on dpreview.com and I have been just totally overwhelmed. Been looking at that site for about 3 days and have found numerous cameras that looked nice, but can't really decide what way I want to go. I was thinking about a SLR-Like camera because I am not crazy into photography yet, but I have a feeling that I will if I get a decent camera. I know that a brainless P&S would always be a good decision, but always feel like it isn't "upgradeable". I know that I could stick with a P&S and then down the road if I get into it, make the leap to a DSLR. It's all very confusing at the moment. Thanks for your help!!! AGAIN!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
All of my film shots used to be on a high end 35mm Nikon N-70 with lots of big lenses. I got a Canon Digital Elph 400 series and now I have a newer 500 series. Once in a while I think about getting a Nikon digital D-80 or D-200 and reusing the big lenses. The I get lazy and just keeping using the little Canon.... :victory:

Wanderlusty

Explorer
We just picked up our first DSLR.

We went with a Nikon D40. Good starter camera for those moving into the hobby.

We have been impressed so far, and have enjoyed using it. Will probably get more lenses as time goes on, and upgrade to a nicer body in 3-5 years, but would definitely reccomend it for a 'starter' DSLR.

DSLR's start expensive and go up in price quick. For a first camera, if you have $1500 to lay out, go for it, but we got the D40 for $600 plus some more for a few accessories.

slooowr6

Explorer
Got the D40 past weekend as well. A nice starter DSLR. It's a good way to test the water in the DSLR world without spending too much. So far I really like it. Here is a shot from D40.
148626644-L.jpg

7wt

Expedition Leader
slooowr6 said:
Got the D40 past weekend as well. A nice starter DSLR. It's a good way to test the water in the DSLR world without spending too much. So far I really like it. Here is a shot from D40.
148626644-L.jpg
Is that with the stock lens? Wow, that looks great. I was actually going to go get a D40 this afternoon, you go tme all excited.

7wt

Expedition Leader
What have I gotten myself into? I just bought a D40 and man alive this ain't no point and shoot! I can't wait to learn how to take real photos instead of just clicking. One cool thing I found out after playing around with it for 5 minutes is it has a great macro setting. I have always wanted to take pictures of the flies I tie to post on another website and the little camera my wife has just won't do it. The D40 took a great shot of a fly for the first crack. Now I have to build a lite photo booth for the flies and do it up right. I think I am going to be real happy. I got a good deal on it too although I saw it in a magazine for a $100 less than I paid. My out the door was $580 which is cheaper than I see it most every where. Oh well.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I love how well it does on closeup shots. My wife took some pictures of some flowers from point blank range and they looked so nice. The portrait setting is also awesome and gives great results.

We are scheduled to take a one-day class that came with the warranty we bought for the camera, and the same place also offers a multi-week class as well. I think at least one of us will take that.

We have been talking for a LONG time about getting a nicer camera and becoming 'serious' amateur photogs...just finally took the plunge...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior