MP3 audio without using stereo?

aluke0510

Adventurer
Ok, wasn't sure where to post this as nothing seemed to fit.

Here is what I want to know:
How does one set up a audio jack input and small amplifier to run music from an MP3 player to just standard audio speakers (Not huge speakers...)? There should be a easy method to set up an audio jack feeding directly to a small amplifier and a variable resistor to power a couple small stereo speakers right?

Here is why:
I have an old Jeep Scambler that is being built up. The stereo system is being pulled out because it was nothing close to what I wanted. I don't want anything to look fancy inside and want to keep it as low key as possible. I don't need an FM/AM radio even. My cell phone has one if I am desperate, sure signal won't be good but I just don't need it. Don't need a CD player either. I just want to be able to play music from an MP3 player to a couple speakers and not have a stereo in there screaming break in and steel me; that and I don't want to sacrifice dash, overhead, or center console space for a complete stereo.

Any thoughts/help in doing something like this?

Thanks

redneck44

Adventurer
Just plug the MP3 player into the amp using the headphone socket to whatever inputs you have on the amp. The volume control on the mp3 will change the volume from the speakers.

I used to run a 600watt system from my mp3 player in my old truck.

El Solis

Adventurer
I used the kicker pxi50.2 small amp that plugs into iPhone (i think there are other options). Has a small faceplate for controlling everything. Before that I had just an amp, speakers, and a cable to my iPhone that charged it and ran music to the amp. had to get an in line volume controller tho.
zu9epa5u.jpg

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
In my old Alfa Spider (which still had the factory stereo) I had an iPod plugged through a y-adapter to a 2channel amplifier. The only slight gotcha is that the amp will be expecting a remote turn-on from the head unit, but you could either switch it or put any hot cable on that.

Another option would be to get something like a Clarion EQS-746 equalizer which has dual inputs - which gains you volume control, sound shaping, and the ability to plug in a second source (CB, computer, whatever).

shogun

Adventurer
If the player has bluetooth, like a phone, cant you just use bluetooth speakers and run the entire thing wireless? Does somebody sell bluetooth speakers that will run on 12v?

Expedition Leader
Just plug the MP3 player into the amp using the headphone socket to whatever inputs you have on the amp. The volume control on the mp3 will change the volume from the speakers.

That's exactly what I do in my FJ40. Amp under the passenger seat takes RCA plug inputs, so an inexpensive cord bought at Wally World with a 3.5mm male mini-plug on one end and two male RCA plugs on the other end hooks up an ipod with no fuss. Speakers clamped on the roll cage. Works great with minimal wiring, is nearly invisible, and doesn't clutter up the dash like a conventional stereo.

redneck44

Adventurer
One thing I forgot to mention was the remote power switch, most amps have a remote power switch that turns the amp on when the head unit is turned on, just run a 12v feed to it from a switch or ignition feed.

aluke0510

Adventurer
I used the kicker pxi50.2 small amp that plugs into iPhone (i think there are other options). Has a small faceplate for controlling everything. Before that I had just an amp, speakers, and a cable to my iPhone that charged it and ran music to the amp. had to get an in line volume controller tho.
zu9epa5u.jpg

I like this a lot. I don't need a big amp and as I was looking nobody sold may smaller amps. This thing is probably about the perfect size. It charges, controls the songs playing, looks good (not a hack in job), and controls the volume. This is what I am getting. Thanks for all the great replies!

madmax718

Explorer
You can get a single din unit with aux in for like 20-30 dollars at walmart. You can get mp3 players off thumb drives for like 70.
These are low key, people don't steal radios like they used to. Most don't even offer removable face plates , or remember, "benzi boxes"?

aluke0510

Adventurer
These are low key, people don't steal radios like they used to.

In the States maybe, developing world, ha. They will break in just because you left cigarettes on the dash board. Anything to keep things low key is a plus. I will be able to keep everything very secure in the back of the Jeep but in the front it is harder. Especially for things like this. Anything to keep wandering eyes from seeing something they can resell is a plus. Not that I am worried about this being stolen but I travel with 40k of photography equipment and laptop, plus the investment in my images (They will steal a memory card with pictures worth up to 10k in profit and sell it for $15). Anything to help prevent opportunistic petty crime from happening on the vehicle is good because once inside they may get curious and pull out the pry bar. Traveling with what I have the best thing is to keep the vehicle from looking fancy and expensive. And to a lot of the world a radio with fancy led screen looks like gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears