Mstudt's 01 Toyota 4runner SR5

MStudt

Adventurer
I've been gone for a bit, but here are some much needed updates.

inally got around to getting the first section mounted last night. I drilled some 1-1/2 holes in the sides, primed it, and sprayed it. I've got the template for the next section finished, and will be working on that section this weekend.

MStudt

Adventurer
This is just a quick write-up on the Andy MOD 2.0 using a real TRAC Off switch from a Toyota Avalon.

I want to start by thanking four members. Without their help, I would not have been able to make this happen.

Like many other members, I want to keep the stock interior look as much as possible. I started out by using a Toyota Avalon factory TRAC Off switch that I picked up from a fellow member.

This switch is normally open, and needs to have a relay to operate it. I picked up a 5 pin BWD R3074 relay from my local Autozone.

I then cut the red wire with the black trace for the Andy MOD 2.0. From here I used butt connectors on each end of the wires to extend them about 12" to the relay. This is a basic drawing of the wiring outline for the relay. These wires are run to 87A and 30 on the relay.

From here I used 86 as my power and 85 as my ground. My power is coming from an open spot on the fuse block under the dash on the drivers side. With the ground being directly below (picture shows it halfway cut off).

I have the main power from the fuse box running into the TRAC Off switch, and out to the relay (86). You can see the four wires all hooked up here.

I then mounted the relay to one of the screws used to secure the gauge cluster.

Next, I ran the wires to the location on the dash I used.

This is the final result. You can see that I moved the security module to another location. I swapped the security module and the CDL switch. Now I have the TRAC Off and CDL side by side.

MStudt

Adventurer
This past weekend we spent some time at the Lone Star Jamboree in Gilmer Texas, and a night on the Buffalo just outside of Yellville Arkansas. Lone Star was a blast, but that red dust started getting to us, and remote camping was calling. Here are some pictures from the trip.

Lined up and heading to Clyde's Ravine.

One Clyde's Ravine

Buffalo River camping

MStudt

Adventurer
I couldn't wait any longer, so I installed my antenna mount today. I'm going to be running a hatch mount rather the Drifter mount that I'm making. The mount is an OPEK Am 204 7SM. I'm using this mount with a Firestik medium duty spring, and a Firestik II 3' tunable antenna. It's mounted on the driver side and I routed the coax through watertight loom connecting the hatch to the body. I just need add some liquid tape to where the coax enters to loom to close it up.

Wire coming out on the inside of the cab. I had to remove the rear light, and pull the center section of trim off to access this area.

All mounted up.

MStudt

Adventurer
Needed just a bit more light in the back. I added a couple Eagle Eye 3w LEDs to the back hatch along with a SPST LED rocket.I need to work on the wiring still but you get the idea. There isn't a lot of room to work with on the hatch. I had to make sure that each of the three holes wouldn't contact the hatch at all. There are three grommets behind the hatch trim. I popped those grommets out, and made sure the LEDs and rocker where situated directly in the center of those holes.

Just showing you how bright 2 of these are.

MStudt

Adventurer
This is not your typical DRL MOD where you just cut a wire and through in any kind of switch you can find. This MOD will allow you to control your DRL's from your headlight stalk. In order to achieve this MOD you'll need a headlight stalk from a 99-03 Toyota Solara. If you have fog lights, then you'll need to make sure you get a stalk with the for light dial on it as well. There are newer switches that go from 04-06, and I'm not sure on these. A simple test would be able to determine if these will work.

This is the switch that I'm using, and it was purchased off eBay for $13.

You can see in these pictures that the 4runner stalk (top) and the Solara stalk (bottom) don't have matching pins. However, this is nothing to worry about.

You can see in the picture below that the 4runner stalk does have pins in the same place that the Solara stalk does. However, these pins do not have wires going to them.

After testing the Solara stalk I found the two pins in red are the pins that control the DRL. I did this by using a test probe and 9v battery. The pins with the red circles around them are the ones you want to use for the DRL MOD.

Here is the plug on the 4runner that connects to the headlight stalk. The two red circles are the terminals that you need to add wires to. These terminal locations match the pin locations on the Solara stalk.

You'll still need to perform the regular DRL MOD for this to work. You just need to cut the from the DRL module, splice in two pieces of wire, and run those wires up your steering column to you new stalk. Connect the wires to the pins I have matched, and you're good to go.

I can not take total credit for this. Here is a thread that member velomatt started in March of this year, and his question didn't see one response. So I decided to give it a try. [MENTION=83128]velomatt[/MENTION], the Solara stalk does work for disabling your DRL with a little work.

DRL Disable MOD
Here is information on how to disable your DRL's.

If there is anything that I missed, or something you need clarification let me know.

MStudt

Adventurer
Getting closer.

Top is on and the openings are sanded.

Boxes in place.

The three boxes are completely removable. They can be used for seats, stools, and storage. Just need to add the hinges.

I plan on picking up the rest of the metal on Friday to finish the front section. Just need to get carpet, Kakuto style clamps, screws, and some spray adhesive.

MStudt

Adventurer
Some new control arms.
20140920_173314_zpsik0yrzh9.jpg

20140920_173224_zpszjrbghcu.jpg

mtnkid85

Adventurer
This is not your typical DRL MOD where you just cut a wire and through in any kind of switch you can find. This MOD will allow you to control your DRL's from your headlight stalk. In order to achieve this MOD you'll need a headlight stalk from a 99-03 Toyota Solara. If you have fog lights, then you'll need to make sure you get a stalk with the for light dial on it as well. There are newer switches that go from 04-06, and I'm not sure on these. A simple test would be able to determine if these will work.

This is the switch that I'm using, and it was purchased off eBay for $13.

You can see in these pictures that the 4runner stalk (top) and the Solara stalk (bottom) don't have matching pins. However, this is nothing to worry about.

You can see in the picture below that the 4runner stalk does have pins in the same place that the Solara stalk does. However, these pins do not have wires going to them.

After testing the Solara stalk I found the two pins in red are the pins that control the DRL. I did this by using a test probe and 9v battery. The pins with the red circles around them are the ones you want to use for the DRL MOD.

Here is the plug on the 4runner that connects to the headlight stalk. The two red circles are the terminals that you need to add wires to. These terminal locations match the pin locations on the Solara stalk.

You'll still need to perform the regular DRL MOD for this to work. You just need to cut the from the DRL module, splice in two pieces of wire, and run those wires up your steering column to you new stalk. Connect the wires to the pins I have matched, and you're good to go.

I can not take total credit for this. Here is a thread that member velomatt started in March of this year, and his question didn't see one response. So I decided to give it a try. [MENTION=83128]velomatt[/MENTION], the Solara stalk does work for disabling your DRL with a little work.

DRL Disable MOD
Here is information on how to disable your DRL's.

If there is anything that I missed, or something you need clarification let me know.

This is a VERY cool mod. Im not totally up on the DRL mod, but I assume the Solara stalk has another switching function that allows you to turn them on/off correct?... Which in turn means you could perhaps use that stalk to turn a set of auxiliary/off road lights on off?

MStudt

Adventurer
This is a VERY cool mod. Im not totally up on the DRL mod, but I assume the Solara stalk has another switching function that allows you to turn them on/off correct?... Which in turn means you could perhaps use that stalk to turn a set of auxiliary/off road lights on off?

You could do that too. Depending on the set-up you might not need the Solara stalk. A lot of guys that don't have factory fog lights upgrade the stalk with the ones used with factory fog lights. They end up using the fog light switch on the stalk to control the off road lights. It's just a matter of running the wires and making sure they're fused.

MStudt

Adventurer

Here's a link that shows you how they did it.

96Delica

Adventurer
Just ordered some of those little LEDs, very nice! I think I'm going to try and tie them into my hatch light in the back.

MStudt

Adventurer
Just ordered some of those little LEDs, very nice! I think I'm going to try and tie them into my hatch light in the back.

That's going to be harder than you think. I was going to do that, but I couldn't get the wires fished through the hatch. I gave up after about an hour of trying. Make sure you measure everything twice. There is very little room on the hatch to work with. When you pull off the rear panel you'll notice two black plastic filler plugs. I pulled those off and made sure sure my led's fit in the center of those openings. That's the only place you have to mount them, so measure twice, and drill once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179