MTN DAWG - 1978 K5 Blazer with FWC

MTN DAWG

Good day All,

This is my first real thread and it is to be an introduction of my rig and a bit about me. My truck (MTN DAWG) is a 1978 K5 Blazer. The story of MTN DAWG starts in the late 1990's when my wife, son and I ran around in an old '79 burb (the first to earn the MTN DAWG name). It was beat to hell and back and we were pretty poor back then and kept is patched together with junk yard parts and duct tape.

As we got older and making better livings, we upgraded our ride a few time. I found that having newer rides was not as much fun as an old beater. Long story short, I decided to build the ultimate (for me anyway) rig for under $3000.00. A lot of junk yard parts, making trades, redneck fixes (I am originally from Oklahoma), and home brew DIY stuff.

Got the K5 from a friend for free due to "electrical problems", it needed a new battery. It sat under a Russian olive tree with the windows down for a few years before I got it. Made a trade of Banshee (quad) parts for springs, found some used tires, scrounged some shocks, and used up a bit of elbow grease.

Found the FWC on this site and left two days later to pick it up in Colorado. Spent two months working with my stepfather (retired master carpenter) re-doing all the wood.

I am 3 years (although 1 year was spent in Afghanistan) into this truck, I do all the work myself (it hurts just thinking I would need someone to work on my truck) and use it a lot for hunting, fishing, and exploring Nevada. The goal of $3000.00 has been surpassed, but not by too much. The overall goal is; if I can scrounge the bits to make parts myself, I will; if not then trade or junk yard; last resort is to buy new.

There are tons of amazing rigs on this site and I get inspiration from them all. It's the old iron, foreign and domestic, with people working on them and relying on them that I truly identify with.

Okay, now some pictures (everybody likes pictures) of MTN DAWG in various stages.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0455.jpgIMG_0485.JPGCIMG1102_1.jpgCIMG1105_1.jpgCIMG1139_1.jpg

I look forward to comments and input.

Thanks for reading!!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hello Rob, and welcome to the site. Glad to see that your rig lives up to its name. It has certainly seen some mountains, I am sure of that!:Wow1: Check out my sig, (the 2 links on the bottom of my post) and you can see that we almost have the same taste in Chevys!:)

Rot Box

Explorer
Nice rig and welcome to the forum!

You definitely live in a great state for exploring. Be sure to share your adventures with us :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've got to admit I like my newer trucks most of the time, but love the older iron. Maybe I'm just too lazy/disinterested to rebuild stuff?

Nice old K5 and FWC... the original FWC.

Welcome.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great build and combo.

I will keep my eyes open for you. Maybe the Reno'ites need to set up a mild destination trip sometime.

Love the budget approach as well.

Jack

MTN DAWG

All,

Thanks for the kind words. Chilliwak, I have seen pics of your truck a have taken some inspiration from it. Locrwin (Jack), It is also my DD and according to others, I pretty easy to spot. I you do, flag me down, would be great to say hey and would be great to have another rig in the group.

I promise to try to keep up on updates. Will try to add pics and details this weekend or next week while out of town.

I am looking for some ideas on some lift assistance for the top (hydro pistons or whatever they are called) if anybody has some advice, that would be great.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

MTN DAWG

rockin kw,

I got VERY lucky finding mine, actually found it here. I left two days later from Reno and drove to Colorado Springs to get it. I almost had to buy the blazer under it but by the time I got there the blazer was sold. I didn't want it anyway. Keep your eyes and computer open. I only know of mine on the road here in Reno but I get stopped atleast once a month and every now and then someone tells me they had or has one "just like it".

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears