Much needed mid sized alternative, Colorado and Canyon

Sojourn

Wanderer
Saw these at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

hajy7e3e.jpg

e2emyda9.jpg

yzy2ereb.jpg

syguga4u.jpg

qe8eha5u.jpg

The new Tacoma slayer.

New for 2015 with a diesel option in 2016. I was very impressed. Good to see that GM will beat everyone to market with these trucks in an under served segment. The updated (major/minor change, not major redesign) 2016 Tacoma will offer only sheet metal and cosmetic changes; same basic drive train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sojourn

Wanderer
Whoops, attached the wrong diesel shot. It's this one, the previous one is the Ram 1500.
7yjyse5e.jpg

ejyza8yq.jpg

Can't figure out how to edit from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
Hopefully the drivetrain options in the new GM midsize trucks will encourage Toyota to upgrade the Tacoma engines and transmission.

I was a little disappointed by the announcement that the 4x4 drivetrain would not be available in the least expensive GMC Canyon. You have to order the SLE trim to have the option to order the All Terrain package.

I have to remind myself that GM is limiting the options in the Colorado and Canyon to simplify the trucks' introduction. It may take a couple of years, but I expect GM to offer more flexibility in ordering options in the future. And I'm sure GM is working on additional models of the truck.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that GMC will return the Syclone turbo V6 model to the lineup in the not-too-distant future. For 2014, Cadillac is offering a 3.6L twin turbo V6 that makes 420 hp, 430 ft lbs of torque. When GMC last offered the Syclone in 1991-93, the 4.3L turbo V6 offered only 280 hp and 350 ft lbs.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
It is much nicer looking these days. I think it looks better than a Tacoma and seems to have a better drive train option.

rkj__

Adventurer
I will likely buy one of these as my next truck.

I'm not in a rush to replace my 2008 Canyon though.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I was a little disappointed by the announcement that the 4x4 drivetrain would not be available in the least expensive GMC Canyon. You have to order the SLE trim to have the option to order the All Terrain package.
I don't think that's right. You can get 4x4 without the All Terrain package but to get the All Terrain package, you'll need to go SLE.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The real deal is all Canyon peg levels will offer 4x4 just like the Colorado. This is an electric shift (unfortunately) 2 speed transfercase with neutral. Where the confusion comes in is the Canyon will offer the Autotrac transfercase in uplevel peg groups. The Autotrac transfercase is the automatic unit with all-wheel drive-like capabilities. Perfect for someone that doesn’t have the good sense to know when to use 4x4 and when not. I prefer not to have autocrap in any vehicle personally…..Actually, I don’t like electric shift in anything either but there is no choice in most trucks these days.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hopefully,the Colorado's seating position is off the floor more. A common criticism in the mags is the low seating on the Tacomas/4Runners. I always feel like I'm sitting in a small beach chair in them.

Clutch

<---Pass
A common criticism in the mags is the low seating on the Tacomas/4Runners. I always feel like I'm sitting in a small beach chair in them.

Probably personal preference, I prefer the seating position in the 4Runner/Tacoma, feels like you're in the vehicle rathe than on top of it. Other vehicles I feel like I am sitting on a bar stool.

rkj__

Adventurer
Hopefully,the Colorado's seating position is off the floor more. A common criticism in the mags is the low seating on the Tacomas/4Runners. I always feel like I'm sitting in a small beach chair in them.

In order to get the seat off the floor, you need to make the cab taller. The point of this truck is to be smaller than the full size trucks, and that includes width, length, and height.

CLynn85

Explorer
Probably personal preference, I prefer the seating position in the 4Runner/Tacoma, feels like you're in the vehicle rathe than on top of it. Other vehicles I feel like I am sitting on a bar stool.

+1, I find the seating position in the Tacoma to be incredibly comfortable and is one of the reasons I bought the truck. It would be prudent for the Colorado twins to follow suit for multiple reasons.

Clutch

<---Pass
+1, I find the seating position in the Tacoma to be incredibly comfortable and is one of the reasons I bought the truck. It would be prudent for the Colorado twins to follow suit for multiple reasons.

My Trooper's seat sits up higher, while I like the vehicle...it makes my legs ache on longer trips. My Tacoma, it doesn't do that.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Seating position is a finicky thing. I had a slammed Volvo 850R wagon as my previous vehicle and getting in and out of a car that's 3" off the ground gets tiresome REALLY quickly. For longer trips the seating was fantastic, as with Volvo having the best seats in the industry. No fatigue of any kind whatsoever. Then I moved onto my Suzuki SX4 AWD and it has a very upright higher seating position. I didn't like it at first but then came to love it at the ease of getting in and out and it's really nice for city driving as it gives you more visibility. But on long trips as stated before, my legs do get restless from sitting so high off the ground. So it's a win/lose situation it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger