Must Do Tacoma Expedition Upgrades?

millerfish

Adventurer
SIZZLE
Can you tell us more about the Exhaust reroute? Did you just tuck it up closer to the T case or did you run it further aft? Where did you tie back in to the tail pipe? Photos??

Thanks

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I guess these will kind of count as a mod, but, get a good shovel as well. I've used a shovel so many times to get various offroad vehicles out of the sand. Also, a fire extinguisher. Both of them can easily mount in your bed or on a roof rack

SIZZLE

Pro-party
SIZZLE
Can you tell us more about the Exhaust reroute? Did you just tuck it up closer to the T case or did you run it further aft? Where did you tie back in to the tail pipe? Photos??

Thanks

I had a muffler shop reroute it from under the tcase to behind it. I couldn't go over a curb without scraping the tube before. It hangs real low at the worst spot. Sorry no pics but do a search on tacoma world and you'll find a bunch.

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
Yep water is huge, specter water and fuel cans are way burly. You might think about some type of awning or one of those stand alone awnings, the sun can be pretty fierce. A couple of long chains or lengths of cable for extraction, using the hi lift, and some shackles. Have fun

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I'm curious about the CO2 systems... How many inflations of a 33in ish tire can one expect to get from a canister? I'm debating as to weather or not I want to go compressor of co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Honestly, the ONLY *must have* item is to get out and explore. The stock truck will take you lots of places as is. Start there and supplement your trips with the items you feel like you *need*. We all enjoy building trucks (myself included) but forget that you don't need a fully built truck to get out on an adventure.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
A recovery strap, jumper cables, a tire plug kit, cheap air compressor, and a shovel will get you out of most problems.

Throw your camping gear in the back and take off!

(I agree with Box Rocket ^^^)

Saharicon

Adventurer
Honestly, the ONLY *must have* item is to get out and explore. The stock truck will take you lots of places as is. Start there and supplement your trips with the items you feel like you *need*. We all enjoy building trucks (myself included) but forget that you don't need a fully built truck to get out on an adventure.

Completely agree and we have done 15k miles in this truck exploring since August of last year. However, if I didn't ask questions like this I would just be working with nothing to spend my money on.

Switch

Observer
Hey everyone! I picked up a new 2014 Tacoma DC OR about a month ago for the purpose of overland travel. Truck is currently completely stock.

So far we have had it on the Eastern Shore of Delaware and Maryland, on the forest roads of Pennsylvania, and now it just got done with a cross country trip to California from PA. We will be exploring the Sierras and the SoCal desert a lot over the next 6 months.

My question is what are the Have to haves, the need to have, and the would be nice?

I already ordered a RotoPax fuel can/bed rail mount, should be here today. What are some other safety, recovery, upgrades the Tacoma should get for being out in the South Western United States? Is the stock bottle jack sufficient out in the desert? Will the batteries deal with the conditions out here ok?

I would like to keep this a running list for other aspiring overlanders. :smiley_drive:

Must Have Newbie Tacoma Expedition Equipment:
Extra Fuel - Something like RotoPax
Recovery strap
Shovel
Rear diff breather mod
Full Size Spare
Tire Repair Kit
Air Source - On board air or Power tank

For on board air, here's what I did on my 2006 Tacoma

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60954

Wow that was a long time ago, but it still works!

Saharicon

Adventurer
I'm curious about the CO2 systems... How many inflations of a 33in ish tire can one expect to get from a canister? I'm debating as to weather or not I want to go compressor of co2.

I haven't had one for awhile, but when I had my jeep (with 33s) I had a PowerTank and I know I filled up all 33s, from probably about 15psi) in seconds on at least 3 trips and never got the thing filled before I sold it.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I haven't had one for awhile, but when I had my jeep (with 33s) I had a PowerTank and I know I filled up all 33s, from probably about 15psi) in seconds on at least 3 trips and never got the thing filled before I sold it.

That's awesome! My primary concern with using a can was that I could potentially run out of air on a longer (maybe two weeks to a month) adventure.

codybutz

Observer
does anybody know off hand, if that write up from TW for the rear diff breather mod will work for 1st and 2nd Gen Tacomas? are the fitting part numbers and thread size the same?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears