musty tent

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I just took my tent out of the shed and its musty and looks like mold in it. What would be the best way to clean it. Also there are a couple of holes in the screen. I am new to camping.:ylsmoke:

seanz0rz

Adventurer
welcome to the wonderful world of camping!

next time, try to store your tent indoors, away from the elements, and always make sure you pack it away when its dry and clean. if thats not possible at the end of your stay at a camp site, then loosely pack it until you get home and can clean and dry it, then pack it away properly.

to remove the mold and mildew, people have had success with tile-x products.

as for the holes in the screens, ive seen screen patch kits around. a long time ago i patched a friend's tent screen. i used a section of screen cut from a destroyed tent and sewed them together with some nylon thread. came out great and last i heard the patch was still holding strong!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Like Graham, I find that Lysol is about the best way to deal with it. Once mildew starts on the material it is key to stop and kill as much as possible. Just letting it dry will only make it dormant until the next time it gets wet. So Lysol and a good cleaning with mild dish detergent is about all you can do. Problem is most things that are good at cleaning mold and mildew aren't so good for nylon and waterproofing.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I had set the tent up last year to try and get the kids to sleep in it a couple of times without success. This year they want to. The tent got stored in the shed loosely and when I set it up yesterday so I had some mold. Will try the above and hopefully will get everything out.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman