My 1 Gen 4Runner Build

R33F

Hi guys,
I just picked her up last month.
I have been looking for a long time for a 1 gen.
My patience have paid off.

Thought I'd start a build thread,
My goal is to have a reliable, capable, and comfortable rig to explore this world in.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

1985 Toyota 4Runner
208,000 miles (no rust)
Solid Front axle
EFI 22RE
New head gasket and top end
New Timing chain kit
New brakes, rotors, and master
New exhaust system front to back
New 33/12.5/15 Goodyear MTR Kevlar's
Trail Gear Armor all around
New OME springs
High steer kit
GM single wire alt mod
New Pro Comp shocks
Headlight conversion kit
New Blue Tooth stereo
8" Samsung Tablet mounted to dash (GPS/BC Nav)

To Do List:

Install/wire up Blue Sea Fuse block
Re-wire stereo install rear 6" kicker speakers
Wire up New Cobra CB and 4ft. Firestick
Deal with front driveshaft (Too short after lift)
Wire up charging ports (USB ports)
Sort out front rubbing issue on full left turn (Spacers or change tire size)
Replace front seats
50cal. Locking center console mod
LED interior lights
Carpet kit

Long Term Mods:

Jason's Flip-Pac mod
Rear Tire/gas can carrier add-on
Lighting
Winch
Lockers
Hidden snorkel Mod

Thanks for looking.

Greg

Attachments

• yota3.jpg
    yota3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 28
  • yota2.jpg
    yota2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 24
  • yota1.jpg
    yota1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice find! Looks clean!

On the tire rub, the inner fenders are pretty easy to muck around with. Just find where it's contacting. If it's the plastic liner, you can cut a bit of it away. If it's the metal seam, it can be pounded back.

I find these benefit the most from proper gearing. I decided to keep the tires small rather than regear diffs, but I really love what some extra low-range gearing does (I'm using a 4:1 gearset from Advanced Adapters in the single case).

I also really like keeping it simple and lightweight. They're light to start with, and although they're capable of carrying a bunch, I find they do much better when kept as light as possible. I've certainly run heavy in the past, but I put it through a serious weight-loss regimen and it feels like a different truck--nimble, capable and responsive...I'm loving it.

I originally tried new carpet inside but it came out pretty quickly in favor of roll-on bedliner. It makes it a little louder inside, but it's so much easier to keep clean and dry (and mold-free).

Have fun!

R33F

Nice find! Looks clean!

On the tire rub, the inner fenders are pretty easy to muck around with. Just find where it's contacting. If it's the plastic liner, you can cut a bit of it away. If it's the metal seam, it can be pounded back.

I find these benefit the most from proper gearing. I decided to keep the tires small rather than regear diffs, but I really love what some extra low-range gearing does (I'm using a 4:1 gearset from Advanced Adapters in the single case).

I also really like keeping it simple and lightweight. They're light to start with, and although they're capable of carrying a bunch, I find they do much better when kept as light as possible. I've certainly run heavy in the past, but I put it through a serious weight-loss regimen and it feels like a different truck--nimble, capable and responsive...I'm loving it.

I originally tried new carpet inside but it came out pretty quickly in favor of roll-on bedliner. It makes it a little louder inside, but it's so much easier to keep clean and dry (and mold-free).

Have fun!

Hi tanglefoot,

Thanks for a great response and input, My tire is actually rubbing on the front spring, the inner fender has already been removed.
I'm fine maxed out to the right but when turning driver it rubs pretty bad. If I can remember it, I can avoid it. But it's a new to me rig and I do it all the time.
I'd like to go to a 10.5 with 16" steel wheel. Like Dorton's rig, I love that set-up. I had that on my LC.

R33F

Here is my LC set up.

Attachments

• LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 17
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 18

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Three rights make a left!

I was just thinking...you may need some wheel spacers to run those 16" wheels. I tried on some FZJ80 wheels once and they didn't fit (contacted the steering arms). The '85 and earlier trucks and 4runners are pretty picky with backspacing.

OSV

Adventurer
Hi tanglefoot,
Thanks for a great response and input, My tire is actually rubbing on the front spring, the inner fender has already been removed.

it might be nice to have that plastic liner in there to keep most of the water out of the area.

I'm fine maxed out to the right but when turning driver it rubs pretty bad. If I can remember it, I can avoid it. But it's a new to me rig and I do it all the time.

have you jacked the front end up and checked the wheel bearing play/torque?

there are adjustable stop bolts that control the turning radius, perhaps one of those needs looking at.

Fishpilot

Excellent truck!

My only advice is to drive it to Bellingham, put it on the northbound ferry to AK with my name and address, check your mailbox for weekly Denali brewing Chuli stout 6 packs from me, then wait 4 years until I return it. Deal?

austintaco

Explorer
Are the OME springs stock length and in the stock location? Most aftermarket lifts for the solid axle trucks will move the axle forward. However, you also have to weld on a front spring hanger mount and this will add lift to your setup. I mention this because I have went down this road with some Trail gear springs after my stock length/stock location downey springs were done. Moving your axle forward might eliminate the rub.
Is the rub happening when the springs are flexed or when they are static? Very nice 4runner. A gem for sure.

bjammin210

Is that lift just from the OME springs and pro comp shocks? Thats exactly the amount of lift I'm looking at getting from my 85.

R33F

it might be nice to have that plastic liner in there to keep most of the water out of the area.

I agree 100%.

have you jacked the front end up and checked the wheel bearing play/torque?

there are adjustable stop bolts that control the turning radius, perhaps one of those needs looking at.

I'm pretty new to this stuff, I will have to do a little research to see what your talking about.
Thanks for your input!

Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears