My 1996 SR - build thread

magoh76

Adventurer
Last night I finally found the replacement for my previous Monty that I wrecked two months ago. Drove a few hours to Branson, MO and picked up a 1996 SR with 134k miles. It's got some things to take care of like any 20 year old truck but I think it will be a solid platform for wheeling and family adventures.

I jokingly suggested it's name was Maximus and my wife liked it, so meet Max:

20151013_073243.jpg

I will be reading up on the forums and Mitsubishi Links to sort out the things below, but if any of you have quick links feel free to let me know:

• Rear Window on driver's side doesn't work with button and falls down while driving. Probably fell off the track.
  • Smokes a little at start-up. From other threads I've learned this is probably valve seals.
  • Get an alignment and check tire balance - there's a little shimmy between 60 and 65 mph.
  • Electric door locks are crazy. Unlocks then locks immediately if you don't hold down the button.
  • Front wheel lights on the 4wd diagram flash continuously, although the 4wd system works fine. Found a thread with possible solutions to this. PO had electrical tape over the flashing lights.
  • Check engine light gives me code for knock sensor.
I believe I can handle all those. I'm not a great mechanic but I know a few. It also has the typical paint/clear coat issues. The good news is the timing belt was replaced on schedule and the PO had good records of maintenance. Everything else seems sound on it - transmission, transfer case, locker all work as expected and it drove home 3 hours without a hitch. A/C, heat, cruise, wipers, sunroof etc are all in working condition. I hope to be adding build info to this thread before long.

There are a couple more pics here: https://goo.gl/photos/z2t5DDJvVhYSATbVA

mr_ed

Toolbag
Looks good!

My wife's LS does the same thing with the power door locks...I've never gotten around to digging into it. I'm figuring (hoping) it's just dirty switches.

Gruni14

Observer
I looked at that rig too. Was going to buy it but wife talked me out of it (for a little newer one). It's a nice and clean rig to start with. Have fun!!

magoh76

Adventurer
Proper sized tires first. Trying to decide what size. I have some 235/85-16 (that's about 32-inch) ST Maxx tires from my other Monty, but I don't have 16-inch wheels that will fit this one. Also I really want to go with at least a 33 inch tire. Wouldn't mind 35s, but I think that means a lift, which I might do. I know there's the cheap way (spring spacers and torsion bar twist) but I like the OME equipment and it doesn't seem badly priced.

I'll be making some bug screens for the windows so we can sleep inside the truck with the windows open. Like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/399694535651548743/ or this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/123749-Window-screens along with some other camping mods, like LED interior lights, better battery and an inverter, maybe a roof rack w/awning.

I'd like to get a winch, but I'll have to find a bumper upgrade first.

Someone recommended Aisin hubs but I need to know some more about the advantages of manual hubs. I've always just used the auto hubs on my previous Monty and on my Ranger and Bronco.

BOPOH

Explorer
you dont really need a new bumper, Mitsu made it possible to hide it behind your factory bumper. There are plenty of pictures but i can't find the best ones (at work) - here is one

IMAGE_00080.jpg

magoh76

Adventurer
you dont really need a new bumper, Mitsu made it possible to hide it behind your factory bumper. There are plenty of pictures but i can't find the best ones (at work) - here is one

IMAGE_00080.jpg

Ah sweet, I didn't realize that. Will seek out some instructions.

BEG

Adventurer

IMAGE_00080.jpg
I've never seen it mounted there. I always thought the "factory location" was below the bumper, between the frame rails, like so:

M2frontr.JPG

Any more details on that particular build?

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
You asked about the benefit of manual hubs. These trucks have a CAD, or central axle disconnect that disengages the drivetrain at the front axle when it is in 2wd. However, it leaves the front hubs permanently attached to the half shafts due to there being only flanges on the wheel end of things, so whether or not you're in 4wd, the half shafts always spin. It's really simple to install Aisins (I wouldn't suggest any other brand) to free up things and keep those half shafts from spinning. You can probably expect something like a +1 mpg on the highway because of it.

John B.

magoh76

Adventurer
You asked about the benefit of manual hubs. These trucks have a CAD, or central axle disconnect that disengages the drivetrain at the front axle when it is in 2wd. However, it leaves the front hubs permanently attached to the half shafts due to there being only flanges on the wheel end of things, so whether or not you're in 4wd, the half shafts always spin. It's really simple to install Aisins (I wouldn't suggest any other brand) to free up things and keep those half shafts from spinning. You can probably expect something like a +1 mpg on the highway because of it.

John B.

Thanks for the explanation John, that's helpful.

magoh76

Adventurer
Got a couple minor things done this weekend. Changed the oil and filter using Mobile 1 oil. Replaced missing bolt in the skid plates. Removed the running boards and added my cross bars to the roof rack. This last one is just temporary, I'm thinking I want to remove the factory rack and get some gutter-mount bars for greater strength.

Here's how it looks with the running boards deleted and the bars:
Maximus w bars no rb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12