My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Dmski

Adventurer
Just popped back over here and am always impressed with your R50! Love these trucks. How many miles are on it now? And the rear storage drawers are a great addition!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey thanks wreckdiver, yeah been a while. I started catching up on your thread but i realized I need a couple of months lol but enjoying the excellent pics from your overland-honeymoon! :)

Haha thanks!

Yeah my thread has gotten a bit... sizeable. I chat a lot as it turns out. :D

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hey guys, the bumper is just about done minus a few asthetic tweaks etc. It was a lot of fun building it especially since a friend of mine with a CNC setup was able to cut many of the pieces for me which sped up the process. In fact, since most of the pieces are already programmed into CAD it should be pretty easy to sell these as a DIY kit. Once I had all the pieces it took me a full weekend (only stopping for lunch/dinner) to do the final fit up and weld it in my garage.

I think it came out nicely, I want to add a hoop and may be a skid plate in the center.

IMG_20170128_145324_zpsfplrprif.jpg

IMG_20170129_184610-1024x1365_zpsu8iobslf.jpg

IMG_20170128_1728472-1024x786_zps7jjfxj78.jpg

IMG_20170129_124418-1024x1365_zpshktlr77c.jpg

IMG_20170128_184335-1024x7682_zps3wxzjuhu.jpg

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh and while I was at it I removed the rear bumper and got the hitch receiver welded on to the back bumper too.

IMG_20170127_160642-1280x960_zpswkj6evop.jpg

IMG_20170130_1306072-1024x925_zpsaf4ufvc6.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow well done! The bumper looks amazing! You should seriously consider sellling DIY kits if you have the means to CNC, which sounds like you do.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Crap, I was trying to edit my last post on my phone and I deleted it...awesome! :D

Anyway, the short and the long of my last post was if there's interest i can have the DIY (weld it yourself) kits made.

stioc

Expedition Leader
A friend invited me for a day trip out to Joshua Tree this past Sat. We had a fantastic time shooting some fun guns (on BLM land adjacent to JT before entering the park). Lots of folks were out shooting there, in fact, we were surprised but after all the rain we've been getting it was a beautiful sunny day to be outdoors. The Pathy did fantastic with the new bumper. I noticed two main things one it got quite a bit of attention on the road, people didn't cut me off without blinkers (my major pet peeve) and in fact, even a couple of cars that could've gotten in front of me waited and went behind me as they switched lanes. I found that particularly interesting. Two, as I'd always suspected I had more traction at the front tires now; previously the front traction had never been great going uphill on loose surfaces - the tires would spin very easily. It's amazing what a 120lbs over the front of the tires would do to improve traction.

IMG_20170204_105747_zpsawfmutij.jpg

IMG_20170204_105718_zps8xvon0lg.jpg

IMG_20170204_152659_zpst9evylwq.jpg

IMG_20170204_152137_zps38ktkxe3.jpg

Dmski

Adventurer
That thing looks mean! Also love the terrain you have down there. Don't get me wrong, mud is fun, but a little dry open desert with some grippy rocks wouldn't be a bad change from the PNW haha!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You know, when I bought my R50 my intention was to keep it stock and just use it as my DD but you are severely tempting me.... :sombrero:

stioc

Expedition Leader
The R50s are fantastic trucks, the biggest downside is the aftermarket support so unless you enjoy the challenge of making custom parts or retrofitting from other trucks keep the R50 as a DD but look elswhere if you want to build a serious offroad rig. I started with the "oh I only want a 1.5" lift, +1 tires and I'll be happy" hence the "mild/budget" wording in the title of this thread -that was almost 4.5yrs ago with lot of time experimenting, researching and customizing parts since then. Contrast that with a friend who recently bought a newer 4Runner, spent three weeks ordering parts from the ARB catalog and another 2 weeks having them put on. His truck looks like it came out of the SEMA show in less than 2 months. For some that's awesome, for others may be not but all depends on what you want.

At the stage where I am with the truck I'm just about done with anything I ever lusted after and more. My biggest complaint is the suspension...I really really really wish ICON or FOX or even Bilstein made a better suspension system for it. Where others can bomb down a rutted surface with their soft suspension soaking up the bumps I'm getting my teeth fillings shaken out due to the stiff springs and the KYB struts that just can't control the heavy springs.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That bumper looks fantastic on there and finished up! Awesome work my friend.

Yeah that's the big downside with a lot of the Nissan platforms. My friend here in town is trying to mod up his Hardbody and there's nobody making anything for it anymore. Couldn't even buy sliders online. Had to get the Trail Gear DIY set. I can't imagine how it is with the R50. It's such an excellent platform, as you and many others have shown. Such a shame that parts are so tough to find. Makes me feel like I'm spoiled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998