My 2005 Dodge 2500 LWB or a 73-91 Chevy Suburban?

Chongzilla

I have the above listed truck with 200k miles on it. It runs perfect with no leaks or suspension issues. I have a growing family and we want to do some expedition style camping. I love power of the Cummins and the sweet sound it makes when pulling a load. The downside is I have three years left of payments and fixing a Cummins is ten times more expensive then a small block Chevy 350.

I have always liked the Suburban and I could sell my truck and start a build for less than the remaining payments on my Dodge. I would also feel better about scraping a tree down the side of the Suburban rather than the 18k Dodge.

My Dodge gets really good MPG for a huge truck. I see 15 city and 19 highway. I know I won’t see those numbers with a Suburban but I won’t have a payment so the fuel issue is not as hot of a topic at that point. I am stuck, my wife doesn’t want to see the truck go but I want something I can beat on and fix for cheap.

I was wondering if anyone here has an option on my dilemma.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Other than interior space, the Suburban will do NOTHING better than your Dodge. In order to get a Sub with equal performance you would spend twice what your Dodge is worth easy. Not sure which transmission you have, but the Cummins motor is good out to 350k miles before its FIRST rebuild. I wouldn't worry about it breaking. If you are worried about the trail damage, spend $600 and get the sides done with paint protection film. Or just get the kids out there in front of the truck with some pruners!

Ponyracer

Adventurer
While that is true, I have both, an 07 ram and an 83 6.2 diesel suburban and yes the ram is far stronger in ever regaurd. Even the payment of $475 a month vs my subs purchase price of $1900. Not to mention, for $1900 if I run it down a tree, well it was $1900 bucks.......

Could always spend a little more on a nice sub and swap in a 1st gen cummins, have the best of both worlds...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears