My 2008 Ram 1500 build

unrealtrip

Figured I'd start a thread on my build as it is coming along.

So far I've added oem aluminum side steps, those things are amazingly light and I mean like, shockingly light for their size. My wife is 5'2" so they were a really big help, in fact I needed those even before I added a 2.5" lift which I just completed along with 35x12.5 tires on XD rims. For recovery I got a Milemarker winch grille guard (though the install is incomplete since they shorted me some bolts) and I have an Engo 10k winch waiting to be installed in it. There are also wings that protect the lights from brush, but nothing crazy. I decided on the grille guard as opposed to a full bumper due mainly to weight, the aftermarket bumpers all end up being 250-300lbs sans winch, which was more than I wanted to hang off the front.

I also went with a full lift, not a leveling lift, so I kept my factory rake which was intentional since I do load the hell out of my truck from time to time, and I've never understood the purpose of a leveling kit. I have a Bestop soft camper shell which I sometimes put on, and I have a Thule rack which is what is up there most of the time. I have a basket and bike racks on it, since I do a lot of mountain biking, and the additional space is pretty crucial when I load it up for long trips, especially since I lose space to my 2 big dogs.

One question though, I have been considering going to a tire gate, or a swing away of some sort to carry my spare and I was thinking that a large plastic water container would fit perfectly where the spare currently is. Has anyone done this yet? Pictures?

So here's a few pictures of what I have so far.

Pre lift and tires, here's my little camper, which I love.
truck camper.jpg

Example of my rack in bike/load config
truck rack.jpg

Soft top, I have mixed feelings about this thing
truck top.jpg

As it sits right now, lift/tires/etc Still waiting to finish the grille guard and mount my winch.
my truck with lift.jpg

Snafu

Adventurer
So what lift did you go with?

I've got an 06 Sport so I pretty much have the same truck minus the tail lights. I started off with the same 20" wheels and went with with black as well!

Just recently found a camper shell on craigslist and it's working very well so far, but I have been looking at those soft tops like yours. I like the idea of getting rid of it when I don't need it BUT I keep hearing that they leak quite badly?

Anyways, great start! I know mine has gotten into, and most importantly OUT of, every place I've taken her! :D

unrealtrip

So what lift did you go with?

I've got an 06 Sport so I pretty much have the same truck minus the tail lights. I started off with the same 20" wheels and went with with black as well!

Just recently found a camper shell on craigslist and it's working very well so far, but I have been looking at those soft tops like yours. I like the idea of getting rid of it when I don't need it BUT I keep hearing that they leak quite badly?

Anyways, great start! I know mine has gotten into, and most importantly OUT of, every place I've taken her! :D

Thanks, actually I just checked out your build thread also truck is looking good.

The lift I got was nothing special, just a Daystar 2.5" which was not much more than a leveling kit with small blocks for the leaf springs. I figured as it was I was already sitting on 33"s, going up 1" in radius didn't need much and I wanted to keep my center of gravity low.

As for the soft top, I have no problem with leaks so much as a problem with the fact that none of them cover the front stake pocket holes, so water goes in there. Can deal with it by plugged the stake pocket, but something to consider. I was not happy when I discovered that, but what can you do, it is hard to beat the convenience of being able to take the top off or put it on entirely on my own, or fold it down when I want to use the bed. Basically, it is almost exactly like a Jeep soft top if you're familiar with those.

I did have to make some sacrifices in the name of functionality though, like rocker protection was a tough one. I really wanted to do some sort of burly frame mounted rocker with steps, I found some but they were HEAVY and as it is the 1500 is only rated to like 1300lbs inc passengers, so I didn't want to get too carried away with really heavy add ons. That's why I went with the grille guard instead of a full on bumper, as cool as they are those things have some major weight.

What I am really investigating right now is a water tank solution and maybe some kind of swing away tire carrier, that and a way to mount a cb somewhere in the cab. I've got a couple ideas...

You planning on getting a winch on yours?

Snafu

Adventurer
Thanks, actually I just checked out your build thread also truck is looking good.

The lift I got was nothing special, just a Daystar 2.5" which was not much more than a leveling kit with small blocks for the leaf springs. I figured as it was I was already sitting on 33"s, going up 1" in radius didn't need much and I wanted to keep my center of gravity low.

As for the soft top, I have no problem with leaks so much as a problem with the fact that none of them cover the front stake pocket holes, so water goes in there. Can deal with it by plugged the stake pocket, but something to consider. I was not happy when I discovered that, but what can you do, it is hard to beat the convenience of being able to take the top off or put it on entirely on my own, or fold it down when I want to use the bed. Basically, it is almost exactly like a Jeep soft top if you're familiar with those.

I did have to make some sacrifices in the name of functionality though, like rocker protection was a tough one. I really wanted to do some sort of burly frame mounted rocker with steps, I found some but they were HEAVY and as it is the 1500 is only rated to like 1300lbs inc passengers, so I didn't want to get too carried away with really heavy add ons. That's why I went with the grille guard instead of a full on bumper, as cool as they are those things have some major weight.

What I am really investigating right now is a water tank solution and maybe some kind of swing away tire carrier, that and a way to mount a cb somewhere in the cab. I've got a couple ideas...

You planning on getting a winch on yours?

Thanks!

I was about to mount my CB radio onto a home made aluminum plate by tying it into the mounting hardware for the center console. That way I could mount it at a 90* angle and see it easily. I say about to because in the process of leaving on the trans hump it somehow fried itself :( Not sure what happened, not even sure if the internals are burnt up. Might be a solder joint is broken, who knows! Gonna pop it apart someday soon...

As for a winch, I'm not planning on it. Just don't have the funds really. But it would be nice. We have them on the Ram 1500's at work. They used a very similar set up to the Power Wagons and put a big cradle between the front cross member and bumper.

184250_773959931342_41105152_41143494_3641765_n.jpg

Not too obvious that ya have one, so I suppose that's a good thing. I never really notice the weight that much really, until I hit a big bump in the desert and front end comes down quicker than I expect...but still, not that bad really! It does have steel cable though, if I did put a winch on mine it would have synthetic for sure.

All of our trucks and SUV's have HAM radios installed that have detachable faces. In these Ram's they mount them just under where the cup holder folds out along with an external speaker and fire extinguisher. The cop car-esque light on the door is more annoying to me than helpful...it's always in the way!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78