My 2012 Tacoma debacle

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hi all,

I wanted to share what I have been dealing with at my local dealership as of recent.

Context:
The truck. 2012 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7 five speed 4x4
the " mods"
ARE MX topper with racks
stock size Hankook Danapro ATM's 10 ply Bought after blowing out two of the dungflops after only 5000 miles, both in one week
Current miles 17,500

I bought this truck brand new in july of last year with only a few miles on the clock. The truck replaced a 2012 Subaru that just was not cutting it in terms of room, clearance, towing power, and ability.
I was pretty pissey with the tires that came with the truck but there was nothing that I could do about it. Even more pissed when I had to replace them only two months into owning the truck.

Needless to say after that I went from Aug of last year to about febuary of this year, LOVING my truck, loving the fact that Toyota took care of all the service for the first 25 k miles over all very pleased with my purchase, and more then willing to fork over my truck payment every month

And then, my ordeal started.

At the start of Feb, I had my truck in for its fifteen thousand mile service. That inculded a tire rotation. The second I got back in my truck and drove it away, I noticed that at highway speed I had a nice wobble/ viberation going on. At this point I was well away from the dealer and knew that there was nothing that they could do that day anyways.

So I took it home and ingored it for a few days. I told my self, its still the dead of winter, perhaps there is a bunch of mud/ ice packed in the wheels, that is what it felt like. There was, I do after all live in north idaho up a muddy dirt/ rock/ snow mountain road.

so a few days later I took it to a bay and pressured washed the hell out of it. that helped, but the problem did not go away.

Needless to say I had to do something. But I did not want to go to the dealership.
Parker Toyota, in Coeur D' Alene Idaho is a 130 mile round trip from my house, it is the closest dealership and thus service center and warrenty center for me.
I figured, it will cost me that in gas to get there and back to I took it to a local shop and had them balance the tires.

Didnt fix a thing ...
Damn, So I called up the Dealership the next day and let them know what was going on and booked an Appt, they didn't have anything for almost a week.

I went down having done extensive research on what it could be.
I spent three hours there and all they did was balance my tires, so much for my siggestion to check out U joints drive line etc.

Get back in the truck drive away, same thing happens, wheel is shaking, truck is viberating going down the road.

Call the dealership back up, they say they dont have any more time today and that I will have to come back to the service center... in another week, of course. Well, what choice did I have?

Needless to say I was back, this time I was there for about four hours, working with another service rep and mechanic for a " warrenty repair "

they tell me they cant find anything, they blame my ties saying that these trucks do that and that it was partialy caused by the noise of the tires partialy caused by me having a light truck, with a 10 ply tire on it.

I asked them if they had swapped the tires off another truck to prove this theory, they said no, I asked what tire it was or what the problem was they said they didnt know, I asked them if they could 100 percent confirm that it was the tires. they said no. They informed me that my vibration was normal for these trucks and that it had been test driven and inspected and was good to go....
Got back in the truck..... NO CHANGE

I was really pissed at this point and running out of time, I had to go out of state for work and didnt have any more time to mess with it. So another two weeks go by, I go to seattle for work and then come back, the whole time I was on the highway it wobbling away.

Then, I get a cute little email from toyota asking me to compleate a survey on my dealership experience. I RIP into them..

Several days later, for no reason at all my ABS, and traction control light come on, my break lights stop working and my ABS is down .

This got me calling up the dealership AGAIN
talked with the same guy, set up a date and he mentioned " I got your survey, so while your hear I want to look into that problem again"

So, I showed up at 830 am on monday morning, sit there ALL day,
I go for THREE test rides with the tech, first was to show him the problem was still there, second was with a new set of rims and tires off another tacoma on the lot.... the stuck is still having the problem even with NEW tires.... it let the tech know that I had tried to have this done almost two months ago to no avail.
He asked me if I wanted to wait around while he yanked my drive shaft. I sad just FIX IT.
he yanks the shaft and we go for a ride AGAIN this time just running front wheel drive since there was no back shaft in, truck, improves finallllllly

He told me that my drive shaft had SEVEN or eight ballance weights on it instead of the standard two or four, and that it had come that way from the factory.

Needless to say, the shaft got set off to rebalance, I got sent home in a RAV4 and this problem is still not solved
pick it back up tomorrow.

The tech mentioned to me that this was the third truck that he had seen with this problem, and that he had to jump through all of these hopps just to let him do this. and that Toyota knew about this crap and they were still trying to pass it off as on a 20 ish MPH problem with their TSB

Any one else have a problem like this

we shall see what happens, I can not WAIT to get out of the RAV4... although the 30 mpg is nice.
cheers
td

southpier

Expedition Leader
did the driveshaft throw off some weights? why did the truck handle fine for months and then start wonky?

absolutely love my '11 tacoma. only reason i'm selling it next year is to buy a van.

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
cdthiker - Dude, sorry to hear about the bad dealership experience. I think that the drive shaft problems have been covered by other Tacoma forums. Yes Toyota North America want to stall you as much as possible. But keep after them and get that drive shaft replaced under warranty.

My 2012 V6 double cab did not have this problem but I saw a lot of new tacomas at the dealership getting drive shafts replaced.

After a similar bad dealership experience I packed up and went across town and had totally different experience. I know this option is difficult for you but something to consider if you have to burn a day to go into a dealership, might as well try to go to a good one. I also ran into the E rated tire BS from the dealer, If the tires are balanced by someone competent and you don't have rocks/mud in the treads the ride on the pavement is smoooootttthhh. However the heaver tires will beat up the stock shocks pretty quickly so keep an eye on those.

Good luck with the drive shaft repair!

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Toyota has a dispute resolution 1-800 number that is similar to an arbitration hotline. One call to that hotline will get your dealer motivated to fix the issue very quickly. I wish I had it handy, but it's on another computer, many miles from me...

montypower

Adventure Time!
The driveshaft setup on the 05+ Tacoma is junk. I had a new one built for my 2013 Taco. My factory shaft was out of phase and the 3 u-joint setup shuttered off the line when brand new. The dealer doesn't know what to do with those type problems. They can do simple part replacement and detailed troubleshooting isn't going to happen. It's all about having the right expectations and researching/learning about the rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears