My 2013 Unlimited Rubicon

Ausjeeper

Observer
I've enjoyed this thread so far and a lot of the discussion is about things I plan to do as well to mine. I didn't catch it if you mentioned it, but is your JKUR the 3.6 or the 2.8crd motor? If it's the 2.8crd, what are your thoughts on this engine?

Sorry but it's the 3.6 Pentastar. The Rubicons are only available with the petrol motor here.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Very excited about this next mod, and I haven't even got it yet.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered an AEV Heat Reduction bonnet, and it arrives in its unpainted form on Friday. It's straight down to the panel shop to match the paint on my Jeep, and then hopefully it'll be sprayed and ready for fitting next week some time.

uploadfromtaptalk1398828682149.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Sorry but it's the 3.6 Pentastar. The Rubicons are only available with the petrol motor here.
Thanks, I knew that already, i'd just lost it in the back corner of my brain. I actually built a spread sheet on the AUS base Jeep and compared it to the TLC and LRD last year. I posted up the results on here. As I recalled (right after the post) you can't get a Rubi diesel in Australia, but you can in Europe. Strange. Thanks for the reply and nice looking Jeep!

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden

I think US folks want diesel beacause they dont have it. I have only driven a diesel one a parking lot, was a dog and sounded as a tractor. A diesel here cost about 5700 dollar more than a pentastar. The diesel wrangler tax is about 1000 dollar or 500 dollar for the pentastar wrangler a year even if You dont drive at all.

I think US folks would like a bigger diesel engine maybe like that in the Grand Cherokee.

Many here have had the diesel but now have the Pentastar and are now more happy.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=180035

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=124353

GetOutThere

Adventurer
That testing done for the under seat mount was excellent... adding it to my (short) list of viable mounting locations.

Ausjeeper

Observer
These turned up yesterday. A set of 7" 55 watt HID driving lights, fitted but not wired up yet.

Don't look too bad for $82.00 for the pair.

20140430_194813-2Small_zps54a902f3.jpg

20140430_194840-2Small_zpsa50698b7.jpg

EttienneM

Observer
I'm one of the guys on that forum who had a 2.8 CRD, failed expensively, and now drive a Pentastar and I'm much happier!!

a whole lot of failures here:
http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=154836

Hi from Sweden

I think US folks want diesel beacause they dont have it. I have only driven a diesel one a parking lot, was a dog and sounded as a tractor. A diesel here cost about 5700 dollar more than a pentastar. The diesel wrangler tax is about 1000 dollar or 500 dollar for the pentastar wrangler a year even if You dont drive at all.

I think US folks would like a bigger diesel engine maybe like that in the Grand Cherokee.

Many here have had the diesel but now have the Pentastar and are now more happy.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=180035

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=124353

Ausjeeper

Observer
Yes I've been very happy with the Pentastar. It does get a bit thirsty if pushed along, but its good to have the power on tap when you need it.

Runt

Adventurer
Thank you so much for running that test of ARB compressor heat under the seat and taking the time to post your findings and pictures.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Thank you so much for running that test of ARB compressor heat under the seat and taking the time to post your findings and pictures.

No worries at all. It wasn't hard to do, and the results put at ease any concerns I had about heat build up.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Couple of jobs completed today.

Had a log book service yesterday and played on the flex ramp at the shop that did the service. Was a good test of the suspension, and a good opportunity to check how all the components were working. This highlighted a few issues and so today I removed the Extended swaybar mounts today, which had been fitted with my original suspension lift, and I'm hoping it will stop one of the swaybar links rubbing on the track bar mount.

ShentsFlexRamp6_zps3a34d99b.jpg

ShentsFlexRamp9_zps0d14f961.jpg

10325637_312352535589391_3992105991706805602_n_zpse113aa28.jpg

Got the HID driving lights wired up. This wasn't as straight forward as I thought it was going to be. When I found the high beam wire on the back of the headlight, I found that it had a constant 3.5 volts reading. Bit of research found that the Jeep headlights run on some sort of pulse modulation (think that's what they call it), where the power to the lights are turned on and off rapidly for whatever reason. I decided to connect up the driving light relay anyway, and test the operation of the lights. Seamed to work alright, so I went ahead and completed the wiring.

Test tonight seamed to work well. The light is a little lower on the road, but the Jeep was empty as well, so with a little load the light should settle in the right spot. The adjustment of the HID driving lights is a little notchy, which makes adjusting not ideal. The spread of the beam is brilliant though.

20140430_194813-2Small_zps54a902f3.jpg

20140503_140158-2Small_zpsee6e384a.jpg

IMG_9278_zpse701ba2f.jpg

I also added some extra wiring on my in cab winch control switch, so that the light on the isolator switch lights up, so I know it is on.

IMG_7182_zps9115d711.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger