my '87 runner

The General

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y535/TheGeneral76/photo_zpsc2c7c44a.jpg

Hey guys, so this is my '87. I've had her for about 15 years (I'm only the 3rd owner) and I'm at the point where I am not too sure what to do with her as I have a Rubicon now. I use my runner for mostly hauling my dog around but I have probably only put around 5000k on her in the past 8-10 years.

Recent work:
'04-engine work-timing belt, head gasket, manifold, plugs ect.
'07-new wheels/tires, new alternator, new starter.
'09-new clutch, new exhaust, new battery, replaced e-brake.

She fires up, even at 20 below, and runs great. Doesnt burn oil but I notice the odd drop of oil on the garage floor...but the engine is clean. Her interior is extremely clean and minimal rust...except right above the wheel wells where she's pretty bad and at the bottom of the inside of the tail gate. So.....I guess my questions are...

1. A friend wanted to buy her, but with her shape and the money that I have put into her in the past 5 years I wasnt sure what to ask? Im in Saskatchewan, Canada.

2. If I decided to put some money into her where should I start? What are some quality inexpensive options in regard to suspension lift, bumpers ect. I will probably never do a SAS as her use will be for camping with the dog ect.

3. I use Morris4x4 for my Jeep, is there any websites for runners that are as simple to shop on as that one?

Thanks

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Beautiful ride. As far as suggestions are concerned, do you feel it lacks in any department that could be improved? Your needs may be different than mine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The General

Ya, #2 is pretty subjective. The suspension is still stock, never been touched so the ride is bone jaring...so I was looking for some others with 1st gen's experience in replacing it with a small lift, 2'' aproximately.

I guess what I was looking for mostly is a dollar value from others who have been looking? I will probably never sell her but I am curious. Also, a quality site to order parts from would be awesome...

red87

Adventurer
BJ spacers and OME springs/shocks should do the trick. Try and find some progressive bumpstops front and rear too. I had that setup on my 87 pick-up and it was relatively comfy. The ride was nicer when I had some decent weight in the bed so I'd imagine the weight of the shell on your 4Runner would take care of that.

As is, that truck would be around $3000 or so in California, if not more.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I 2nd the suspension suggestion above. I installed blazeland long travel in the front after 1.5 BJ spacers up front. If I was to do it over again I would have used the money for a selectable locker in the rear and left the spacers in the front.
As far as price, I just had a friend sell an 87 4runner here in Los Angeles for $3200. Poor paint, worn tires and headers.

nice looking 4runner.

zidaro

Explorer
marlincrawler.com wheelersoffroad.com allproofforad.com all have Toyota runner specific parts, there are a ton more shops and options though. marlins forum is huge and toyota only as well as having an amazing amount of info on it

Keep it simple with your suspension or go big are the only real options with the IFS. shocks will be a huge improvement in ride and will feel better than SAS if you play on fireroads and basic trails. You can upgrade the axle shafts/cv's if you start having issues with them, beyond that and your venturing into $$.

Couple grand should be fair if its running and looking good, can still p/u decent junkers for $500 in the West states if you know where to look (not ebay). Keep it and wheel it without worries. Pic looks clean and a great start for a fun toy

The General

^^lol. My Toyota buddies have all said the same thing!! But I rather like my Rubi:) However, having said that my next purchase will be another Toyota!

Thanks for the info guys. I have been on Marlins site but the other two i'll check out. Going to be looking for a complete suspension kit, bumpers and some aftermarket flares so I can hopefully cut the cancer out and mount some bushwackers.

This maybe blasphemy in a toyota forum but I'm one of those unbiased guys and I like pictures:)

photo1_zps931390b9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears