My ((always evolving)) AWD Savanah

Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer the best I can. I am constantly changing things and building on. If I make a mistake or post something in the wrong format, please let me know :)
I picked up this van pretty much bone stock in really clean condition for a very fair price. It is a full window but has the cargo floor and double door which is a really nice feature. Ive kept the interior fairly basic so far. I lifted with a torsion key front, one inch block and add a leaf with Bilstein HD's. I fitted a toolbox in as my my gear cabinet which houses almost everything needed besides clothing. I found a little matching cabinet with a door to house a 5 gallon water jug and I retrofit a very small gray water tank in it as well, it's a tight fit but it works pretty well for me. The "sink" is just a steel bowl I mounted vessel style with a regular drain. I plan to change this set up eventually but its been pretty good for filling bottles, CamelBaks, brushing teeth and washing our face and hands. I've built a rack in the most versatile form I could think of with two expanded metal decks down the sides and the solar set up in the middle, this allows for the ARB awning the mount on with side and you can mount or strap pretty much anything to expanded. I've been working on the rear bumper for a couple days, I'll post pics of the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.JPG
    IMG_1233.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 999
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_1295.JPG
    IMG_1295.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Couple updates on the swing out. I will be mounting a cargo box and bike rack to this for easier access to the rear doors.

Attachments

• IMG_1296.JPG
    IMG_1296.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 983
Thanks guys, I'll get some more (higher quality) photos of the rack and I should have the entire bumper and swing tacked up tomorrow. I'll add descriptions of materials.

The basic interior works well for a soloist, I'll be changing a few things over time. The toolbox has a fold out platform which makes a great place to eat from your swivel passenger seat. When needed, to keep the bike out of I-70 weather and road grime it fits nicely inside strapped in moto style.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 134
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 109

86cj

Explorer
Very functional and good looking at the same time, nice AWD Van.....A full window cargo van with doors on both sides and a good color, what a great find.

You could not have ordered a better combo new in my opinion, the driver side doors allow you to reach into most of the Van while standing on the ground. Your build should inspire more people to snatch these rare Vans up as the first owners let them go, they are capable taking you on most legally available forest roads just stay off nasty trails with legendary names.

What is the size and offset/backspacing on your wheels?

More bumper pics please...........................

Van on the Run

Great looking van! Very cool build out. Simple and efficient use of space.

I curious what the length and width is on your bed layout.

Looking forward to more pics.

Great looking van! Very cool build out. Simple and efficient use of space.

I curious what the length and width is on your bed layout.

Looking forward to more pics.

Thanks for the kind words!
The bed is a full size Ikea mattress with a 1 inch memory foam on top, I left the width uncut and trimmed three inches off the length. I'm close to 6' and I can stretch out easy on an angle and have slept two with no issues if you like to spoon. Definitely not a bro beside bro situation. I just did 7 days on the road and never even considered a hotel night.

Very functional and good looking at the same time, nice AWD Van.....A full window cargo van with doors on both sides and a good color, what a great find.

You could not have ordered a better combo new in my opinion, the driver side doors allow you to reach into most of the Van while standing on the ground. Your build should inspire more people to snatch these rare Vans up as the first owners let them go, they are capable taking you on most legally available forest roads just stay off nasty trails with legendary names.

What is the size and offset/backspacing on your wheels?

More bumper pics please...........................

You pretty much nailed all my self justification before pulling out the cash. Thanks!
It does great on the roads I need to travel and its driven right into some camp sites I would never have guessed with ease. Wheels are 17x9 0 offset 5 in Back. Tires are 275/70r17, I had some 285's but they were just too wide.
Bumper pics coming...

Last edited:
Little Progress on the bumper. Cargo box is just clamped in for testing, there's two 1x2 supports welded under it for extra support, bike rack will mount over it. The entire set up will be powder coated black, I know, that box is hard to look at.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 51

borison

Adventurer
That van is bad ***! Looks awesome from the outside and very functional inside. Just a really great setup, all around. Would love to see more of this.

Bumper fully welded and cleaned

Few more gussets and the bike mounts to add then off to powder tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 55

goodwaves

Adventurer
on the interior, have you covered over your windows in the back with something?
Could not tell from the pics, but kinda looks like something besides windows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998