My Camper

AKSleeper

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg

So here we have it. I've decided that it's time for a truck camper. A recent trip in my motor home (5.5mpg,) made up my mind. After searching the interwebs, and craigslist, I came to the only logical conclusion...for me... Here it is... I'm using a knockoff of 4WC operators, the pop up is going to be 30" of 18 oz. vinyl coated poly. The whole camper will be coated in epoxy, then painted with... something... a couch down one side that turns into bunk beds for my 2 kids, a counter down the other for cooking ect... a camping toilet of some kind for nighttime trips, and there we have it, my pop up camper.

The top will be composed of a 1.5" polystyrene core, framed with 2x2's, sheeted with 5mm 3 ply UL plywood. Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Last edited:

AKSleeper

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg007.jpg008.jpg
Not much progress today. Started closing in the bed compartment. Tomorrow a piece of 3/4 CDX will be put into the bed floor, and construction on the roof begins.

AKSleeper

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

Today's progress...Buttoned up the bed area, it came out as strong as I had anticipated. Capped the bottom of the frame with 3/8" CDX, then inlay-ed some 3/4" CDX.

The roof rafters have taken shape, but progress was slowed due to material shortage...this thing should have a finished roof (minus epoxy) tomorrow. The plan has changed from a flat roof to a curved set up. Should be much better design.

My pop up material shipped today, so I should be ready to put that on my next time off from work.

AKSleeper

005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Progress...Looking more like a camper everyday! Roof is done and awaiting epoxy, It'll be a week or so until that happens, but I'm pretty pleased with 4 afternoons worth of work into it so far.

The roof is exceptionally strong, once the Styrofoam is glued in from the inside it'll be even stronger. The rafters were easily supporting my weight while I screwed off the plywood.

Big thanks to my Dad for convincing me to do the rounded top, and sharing his know how in doing it.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Looking Good! Quick progress! You color matching the silver to your truck? Just a thought. I keep wanting to paint my camper to match mine.... Maybe one day. haha :sombrero:

AKSleeper

Thanks! Not sure what color it's going to be yet. The fabric that I orded is grey. There was no color sample, so I'm not sure what shade of grey it's going to be. I'm open to suggestions though ;)

AKSleeper

008.jpg
Small update...Material came in today and it's exactly what I wanted. I was a little blind ordering it because I wasn't sure what weight I needed. Turns out 18oz feels just right.

A couple of more days until I get off of work, and then I'm back at this camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan