My Camping Trailer Project

Dirtco

Adventurer
I've been really busy, but I was able to spend a couple hours working on the trailer this weekend (and a couple last weekend). Nothing major but every little bit helps.

I added some bracing for the floor. I will be adding more, this is just the basic structure.

P1030765.jpg

P1030766.jpg

I plan to have a slide out tray for the front section of the trailer, this will hold a cooler or maybe two. I added a section of tubing to keep stuff from sliding all the way to the front of the trailer and contacting the coolers.

P1030769.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtco

Adventurer
I found this really cool stainless steel electrical box that used to be part of a carwash. It fit the trailer, (was Free!) and seemed like a good place for some of the random electrial and other misc stuff I have planned.

P1030770.jpg

P1030771.jpg

P1030773.jpg

P1030774.jpg

P1030775.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
I was finally able to spend more than a couple hours working on the trailer!

I started by welding all the vertical supports for the side skins, then all the flat steel for the edge of the flooring. The shop welder was broken so I was stuck using my little Lincoln 110 with flux core wire, after 20ft of bead I really wanted to vomit. That stuff is NASTY, but it did it's job and the welder is my trusty little stand by, so I can't complain too much.

I didn't bother taking any pictures in the process, but I'll get back to that in a minute...

Dirtco

Adventurer
I have come to the conclusion that this trailer is like a huge puzzle without a picture, I have to to make the pieces and picture how it will all go together. On top of that, there is a certain order that everything has to be assembled for the whole thing to work. It's a challenge, but quite rewarding!

With the floor supports in place it was time to add some paint to the frame, and the lower section of the camper frame work.

First I lifted the body off and worked on painting the frame

P1030783.jpg

P1030784.jpg

P1030785.jpg

P1030786.jpg

P1030787.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
Then I painted the lower section of the trailer body, and bolted it back in place.

P1030788.jpg

P1030789.jpg

Here is the vertical support for the skins, I welded the back side for a cleaner look.

P1030790.jpg

And here is the steel that the floor will bolt to, I still need to drill all the holes for the bolts.

P1030791.jpg

P1030792.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
With everything in place I test fit one of the skins to see how it would look and fit. It's galvanized steel sheet that used to be part of some shelving, it's a little thin but not too bad.

P1030795.jpg

P1030798.jpg

P1030799.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
It looks a little dirty but the galvanized steel should clean up okay, the red circle is the test spot where I cleaned it.

P1030802.jpg

The sheet will be riveted and glued in place, there will be an extra support in the middle of the skin (on the inside) for more strength and to keep stuff from contacting the skin. It will also have hold downs for the cargo.

Red lines are where the rivets will attach the sheet

P1030794.jpg

Blue line is the support for the back side

p10rubrail.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
While I had the trailer in the shop I test fit the shocks, they were on the truck so I knew they should work. I have some new lower shock mounts and wanted to see how everything would line up. The shocks and mounts should work fine, the lower mount will set another 1"-2" higher.

P1030803.jpg

P1030804.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
I was able to spend some more time on the trailer this weekend. I started by adding the middle roof support for the tent, along with the rear tent supports.

Then some tabs for the side bars.

P1030807.jpg

And the side bars.

P1030809.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
Then it was time to attach the main side panels. I didn't bother taking any pictures during the process, but here is the end result.

P1030810.jpg

P1030811.jpg

P1030813.jpg

P1030812.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12