My CND M101 Thread

Septu

Explorer
Big purchase today. Bought a CND M101 trailer with a RTT off a forum member. I won't get it until I go to Vancouver in June - but hey never too early to start a build thread! - right?... but seriously I can't wait!! Am so excited!

Won't do much to start with.
- Change out the tires and the wheels so they're close to matching my JK (at least size wise).
- Extend the tong a bit so I can mount gas cans and a box for the battery down the road sometime - and hopefully still open my JKs tailgate.
- Figure out a way to have some sort of counter top mount off of the side - this will probably be my first mod, as I'll need somewhere to setup my stove.
- Change how the lid opens so that it opens from 1 side (currently opens to the front). I know I first thought from the front would be better... but with the RTT, I can see that being an issue to open the lid when it's deployed. Where as it wouldn't be if it opened from the side.
- Painted to match the JK

No real rush for any of these... but that's the starting list. Eventually I'll get an awning, do a springover, have a swingout spare tire mount, plumbed water, and a hot water setup. Will start with a portable one for this summer, but would eventually like to plumb it all in.

Here's a picture of how it sits now. I'll post a picture of it and my 2012 JKU once I have it hooked up :)

ede3u7uz.jpg

Current look (06/27/16):
12592366_10153442634632595_8547241438589803514_n.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Wow, that's one nice trailer, congrats on your purchase! ;)

Great mods to come, I'll make sure to follow. As is, there's no issue opening the lid with the RTT deployed, it opens fine although you'll need to collapse the ladder. Having the hinge at the front also allows you to transport oversized items which might be more difficult with a sided hinge.

Looking forward to this M101's evolution!

Cheers,
Mr. D

Septu

Explorer
Wow, that's one nice trailer, congrats on your purchase! ;)

Great mods to come, I'll make sure to follow. As is, there's no issue opening the lid with the RTT deployed, it opens fine although you'll need to collapse the ladder. Having the hinge at the front also allows you to transport oversized items which might be more difficult with a sided hinge.

Yeah it's a pretty sweet looking trailer ;)

I'm not in a rush to change anything right away, and I'll have a couple weeks right away of first hand experience to see what does and doesn't work. But that was my first thought was of the ladder when deployed.

One of the best things is that this will allow me to take my soft top and pack my soft doors down this summer. Can leave the full ones at my parents while I putter about, then swing down to pick them up before heading back up north. Learned my lesson last time. High winds, highways and soft doors (I also had a bikini top) and a 3500km drive don't mix too well. Talk about a crappy drive - especially the last 500km.

Septu

Explorer
Worlds shortest build thread. You are already pretty much done:coffeedrink:

lol. There'll be changes. I'm hoping I can get a buddy who welds to make a steel lid. Spring over, different tires/wheels. Paint job so it matches my JK. But I'm very happy that a lot of the work has already been done.

But I'm happy with using it as it is... in fact that's important... I'll pick it up, then will be off camping/exploring for 2 weeks before making my way back up the Alaska Highway to the Yukon.

Abitibi

Explorer
Then you'll realize you're happy with most of it, will only swap the wheels and spend more time exploring with it than working on it! ;)

Cheers
Mr. D

Dools

Wanderer
Sweet, another M101 here in the yukon.

My advice now owning a modified one for 2+ years.

I wouldnt do spring over, I put custom fenders on mine that covered 33's and it works well. I think the spring over will cause too high of a COG and may be an issue on off camber.

My lid opens to the side (from the passenger and the tent deploys to the drivers) and it is easy enough to open when deployed. I also had a tailgate made out of the rear and this has been extremely valuable. Espeically to put the chain saw at the back and have easy access for trail clearing.

Get removable rear mud flaps. Do this immediately. It will save you the hassle of dealing with a trailer covered in mud and also being pinged by rocks. I have bought them and now need to get them welded on before this season starts.

I have a line on a front box if your interested. The same guy who modded my trailer in Salmon arm still has one (I believe). He may also have the modded fenders to cover 12.5" tires as well. I can check if you like.

For the lid, do not do steel, you want aluminum. Mine is aluminum and I think it still weighs about 200 lbs. Steel would be twice the weight. When your in Vancouver really consider going to Princess Auto and getting a axle with electronic brakes. I have a TJ so the JK may be different, but loaded and going dwen a steep hill (offroad and I mean steep) I can feel the trailer and the brake assist would be nice. But you may not have this issue with a greater GVW.

Other then that you will absolutely love it. it was one of the best purchases we have done. Been all around BC, Alaska and the Yukon and cant wait to get out this year.

Attachments

• AK.jpg
    AK.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 104

bj70_guy

Adventurer
For the lid, do not do steel, you want aluminum. Mine is aluminum and I think it still weighs about 200 lbs. Steel would be twice the weight.

FWIW, my steel lid weighs in around 90 lbs. A couple of my friends have aluminum lids and IIRC they come in around 60 lbs. Substantial, but wasn't a deal breaker for me.

5992260284_8a8ea0acb2.jpg

Dools

Wanderer
Hmmm, then mine must not be 200 lbs. Never lifted it myself but thought that was the weight. Steel wouldnt be that bad then.

Septu

Explorer
Get removable rear mud flaps. Do this immediately. It will save you the hassle of dealing with a trailer covered in mud and also being pinged by rocks. I have bought them and now need to get them welded on before this season starts.

I have a line on a front box if your interested. The same guy who modded my trailer in Salmon arm still has one (I believe). He may also have the modded fenders to cover 12.5" tires as well. I can check if you like.

For the lid, do not do steel, you want aluminum. Mine is aluminum and I think it still weighs about 200 lbs. Steel would be twice the weight. When your in Vancouver really consider going to Princess Auto and getting a axle with electronic brakes. I have a TJ so the JK may be different, but loaded and going dwen a steep hill (offroad and I mean steep) I can feel the trailer and the brake assist would be nice. But you may not have this issue with a greater GVW.

Yeah have already been thinking of mud flaps... Especially with my 13.5" MTs and very narrow fenders. I get mud everywhere now as it is - and that's without even trying to find mud.

Dools, do you have a build thread? Or a lot more pictures? Curious as to the table/shelf coming off the side. As for the lid... I have lots of time. It'll likely be a winter/next spring type of deal at the earliest. What's there now clearly works, so I don't see myself in a rush to change it. If my buddy can weld aluminum then I'll go that route. Otherwise it'll be steel. There's someone selling a lid in Seattle... Thought about grabbing that while I'm down there - if the price is right. But the one picture I saw doesn't look like there's any support in it... not sure it would hold the RTT alone.

Not worried about the fenders. When it comes time for that, I'll have someone weld some right to the frame when the nerf bars (frame protection/steps/etc) are put on, so it'll all be one piece.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I bet that steel lid does weight a lot Dools, I had one of the Nose Boxes that Gary made, it was a thing of beauty as far as fab goes, but wow was it heavy! His work is fantastic!!

I too watched this build (original) from purchase to start to finish. Looking forward to following this ones evolution! My lid is probably only 40 pounds, maybe 50 max... wood and epoxy/glass.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
My lid is made of steel and weighed 175 pounds, plus we added the roof rack on top of that. But with the right shocks it's no big deal.

Abitibi

Explorer
Hey Deptu,

Did you get my email from last wknd with the updated picture and couple questions?

I can understand the temptation to build an aluminum lid but all the ones I've seen were very pricey and lost a bunch of internal storage space with the braces for internal support. By using 3/4" plywood wrapped with FG and finished with Gelco you end up with a very strong lid weighing under 75lbs and no braces required... Even a small guy like me that barely weighs 160lbs soak'n wet can still lift it with one arm although gas struts would be nice :)

Bonus... take the lid off, flip it over and you've got a canoe!

Cheers
Mr. D

Septu

Explorer
Yes, thank you!!

If I go with another lid, I will have a friend make it so I'm just paying for materials and some beer. To start with I'll probably just paint it.
I have tons of thoughts in my head as to the direction I want to go... but for now I think I just need to get out there and use it and see what will work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998