My Comparo: Old Taco vs. LC vs. 4Runner

AK.xplorer

Observer
Colington, yes those are great rigs, especially with the 5 speed. They're not that great on fuel though, with the auto. If you ever do the exhaust work, keep the resonator if it's not too rusted. Also, just have a muffler shop weld up a cherry bomb. The little turbo on the 12-ht really silences the exuahst tone, and going through a simple glass pack, it's very quiet, but the sound is perfect. The 12-ht is the cheapest to take to the exauhst shop. $50 cherry bomb, and $250 in labor/new pipe. Don't leave the stock exhaust size like the rednecks do with the yeeehawww diesels. The tiny turbo doesn't need such outlandish pipe diameter.

One of the funny things about those import hj's, is how many times they say "turbo" all over the vehicle.

"turbo" on the drives side seat
"turbo" on the passenger side seat
"turbo" on the dash
"turbo" on the intake plenum
"turbo" on the rear passenger side body
"turbo" on the grill
"turbo" on the rear drivers side body

Guys get so giddy about "turbo diesel", i'm surprised they don't huff the fumes out of the tailpipe, haha!

Compared to the F motors, that 12-ht is light years better. It's the best 60 series motor for sure.

Last edited:

racerkit

As quoted by others, "the 80 series was made at Toyota in its finest hours", there's just a lot of emotion in owning one of these. I never thought a stock 80 would look so different and proportionate when modified, as if Toyota engineers had designed it that way. When you put the emotion in the equation, there's just nothing like it (except maybe 76 series not available in the US, IMHO).

You comparison is good and practical, but then there's always a more practical reasoning in each new generation of cars coming off the showroom. I agree with your analysis (thanks), except I found the 80 series mods are so easy that I perform all of them myself, saving on labor cost, and this is from someone with no mechanics background, learning all from youtube and forums. Interestingly, I'm actually getting 16-17mpg, with 34" n 2.5" lift, sure I don't have rooftop carrier, driving light footed, and keeping it in as original aero as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_20160131_083626-c.jpg
    IMG_20160131_083626-c.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 22

AK.xplorer

Observer
"emotionally" speaking, why do you display a TRD decal on an 80 series?

I can understand on a Tacoma, it says "hey look at me, I have an elocker".

It's kind of confusing for me. On an 80 series it says: "hey look at me, this vehicle existed before the TRD package was a factory option"

Just razin yah, youngblood!

When I was driving the hdj-81, it has these awful stickers all over that said: Diorama.

Last edited:

Upland80

Adventurer
As quoted by others, "the 80 series was made at Toyota in its finest hours", there's just a lot of emotion in owning one of these. I never thought a stock 80 would look so different and proportionate when modified, as if Toyota engineers had designed it that way. When you put the emotion in the equation, there's just nothing like it (except maybe 76 series not available in the US, IMHO).

You comparison is good and practical, but then there's always a more practical reasoning in each new generation of cars coming off the showroom. I agree with your analysis (thanks), except I found the 80 series mods are so easy that I perform all of them myself, saving on labor cost, and this is from someone with no mechanics background, learning all from youtube and forums. Interestingly, I'm actually getting 16-17mpg, with 34" n 2.5" lift, sure I don't have rooftop carrier, driving light footed, and keeping it in as original aero as possible.

Good points...nothing like an 80 series IMO. Solid axles a triple locked will get you damn near anywhere! I am gonna have to call shenanigans on 16-17 mpg though...not happenin!

MPG reported by owners of swapped trucks varies a great deal. The 5.3L/NV4500/splitcase can net you 16-18MPG on the highway. Obviously this depends on tire size, gearing etc. Your MPG will be lower in the beginning due to the fact that you simply can not keep your foot out of it.

No matter if you are running stock, diesel or V8 swap, if you are looking to a 80 series for good fuel mileage you are looking the wrong way. MPG is not the strong point of this vehicle.

I have a 1999 HZJ75 diesel with which I did plenty of touring (shipped it to NY some years ago and drove it to Patagonia) and I must be honnest I was getting 24 MPG on it on average, being fully loaded weighing 3.000 kg. When things got rough MPG would decrease to 18 MPG or even a bot less, but never those numbers I read here. Indeed the vehicules are slow, but when reading I cannot stop thinking that people do not need an engine change but rather a mentality change. When buying a vehicule like this you need to take the driving style with it. These are made to drive slow and with ease and not like a sportive sedan, right? That is one of the reasons why I enjoy driving the 75: Its sloweness relaxes me as I know I'll arrive late everywhere anyhow!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

The 80 isn't the pinnacle of land cruiser development :)

rickashay

Explorer
The 80 isn't the pinnacle of land cruiser development :)

I agree. I have HUGE respect for the 80 series but having owned a couple pre-tacoma trucks, a couple 3rd Gen 4Runners (one fully built), a fully built LX450, and my 1st Gen Tundra, the 80 did many things great but sure wasn't my favorite of the bunch. Perspective based on personal use and requirements though.... My Tundra is reliable as hell, less finicky than my 80, get's better fuel economy with the same size tires (35s on both), is very easy to work on, and does 75 mph up the highway passes. Offroad I'd say it will still go 85% of the places the 80 will go. Just wish the frame wasnt flimsy C-channel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger