My custom tire/fuel carrier build (Stock bumper)

Many days and I finally finished my v1.0 of my rear carrier set up. I did this on my 4Runner, but it can apply to most any vehicle. I have many ask me about it, so I made a video! I still want to make some improvements, but that will be for v1.1 :sombrero:

Let me know what you think!

krick3tt

Adventurer
tire carrier

I have to say for a man that claims not to be a welder or a professional you have done a spectacular project. I do appreciate your documenting the steps that you have taken. I also often cannot find things that I want and make them too.
The integration of the carrier to the stock bumper is a very special approach and you are to be commended on your process of thinking it through and the final outcome.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice job. Great video. The second version will always be better once you done some testing. Overall it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say for a man that claims not to be a welder or a professional you have done a spectacular project. I do appreciate your documenting the steps that you have taken. I also often cannot find things that I want and make them too.
The integration of the carrier to the stock bumper is a very special approach and you are to be commended on your process of thinking it through and the final outcome.

Thank you very much for the kind words! I had enough people ask about it that I knew a video of my progress, and struggles, could help others think outside of the box.

Nice job. Great video. The second version will always be better once you done some testing. Overall it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!! It's all a process!

As my dad says, everything's a prototype. It's never finished and can always be improved.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just from the still frame I think it looks great. My only preference would be for the spare to sit as low as practicable to maintain better rear visibilty.Looks like there's maybe a few more inches available downward. I'll watch the vid later and see what's up

krick3tt

Adventurer
I would like to know the source and perhaps the part number of the weld-on hinges. I am in the process of a fuel carrier for the underside of my LR3 and have sourced Unistrut hinges for their mass and strength but the ones you are using would better fit some other projects I have in mind.

SAS

Observer
Have to agree with krick3tt; from concept, design, and execution, it appears you did a very good job!

I would like to know the source and perhaps the part number of the weld-on hinges. I am in the process of a fuel carrier for the underside of my LR3 and have sourced Unistrut hinges for their mass and strength but the ones you are using would better fit some other projects I have in mind.

If you go to the YouTube link, the description has links to all the bought out parts I used, including the hinges

L3TT3RS

@pooping_outside
I saw your video last night. Excellent design and execution. I do have one question. Why did you choose Jerry cans vs a rotopack?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I saw your video last night. Excellent design and execution. I do have one question. Why did you choose Jerry cans vs a rotopack?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think because he can have one for gas and one for water and put both in the same holder.

rayra

Expedition Leader
watching the vid now. 1-1/4" receiver hitch tubes as the frame structure would be the way to go with MkII. Then you just slide in your swingaway halves and bolt them in.
And with welder access you add some beads to the slide-in portions and file them down to make a super snug fit, no slop / wobble.

Rest of it looks good, nice work. And nice work on the video too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78