My DIY "rooftop tent platform" idea

overl4nder

Observer
This kind of builds on a similar thread I saw, but executed in a very different way.
The requirement is to have a RTT which adds no more than 6" in height but can sleep 3 people (so 62-63" width atleast). That does not exist. The Falcon XL is 57" wide and so are all other "4 person" tents. They would be 4 person tents in the shire, but not for us.

To be fair, its 2 persons and a child, and having slept uncomfortably in 55" wide tents, we think 62-63" is the minimal width.

Now there exist tents which add 10-11" to the truck cap and have a king size bed, but then the height issue comes in. Right now with 7'2" clearance truck can easily go in the garage with 6 inches to spare. However, with a large tent it becomes an issue.

So the idea came in to build a RTT platform using 2020 extruded aluminum, or Amazon metal bunkie boards.

The concept is the same, the 2020 step involves building the bunkie board first.

Once you have a full size bunkie board, you get 2 of them, hinge them together.

Folded both sit on top of each other.
Opened.. the second one opens giving you are 100"x80" platform. A RTT telescopic ladder (again attached with hinge) supports the second board. Then you throw in a large 3 person instant tent on top, and put in a king size air mattress. Voila, rooftop tent, which when packed adds maybe 3-4" to your roof.

Making the bunkie board yourself with 2020 means you have a functional roof rack with tracks. The problem with that approach is that for weight distribution a Fiberglass FRP panel would be needed to distribute the weight to the slats

I don't know if Lowe's 50$ FRP panels do the job

The idea is to use 2X 80" + 9X 60" 2020 profiles from T-nutz and then throw in a FRP panel on top of both.

With the Amazon metal/steel bunkie boards that step is eliminated, since they support 1000lbs with ease, but using them as a "roof rack" is not ideal. There is also the issue of rust as they are not designed for outdoor use.

Thoughts on the idea?

Second idea is to go for a 65x80" custom platform (no swing outs) and use a slightly smaller instant tent. More stability and no need of using the ladder as support. But may look ugly or something (though a tRD pro is 80" wide at the wheels
Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 11.16.20 AM.png

NatersXJ6

Explorer
A key part of roof top tent platforms is the full length weight supporting hinge that is built into the extrusion. Are you going to have a spline or something similar to perform this task?

Also, your hinges as drawn will need to be re-thought. The hinge has to go on the end of the frame or inside. I realize that isn’t so important in the concept stage, but thinking about it might change your plan.

Have you considered simply using plywood with a stiffening frame or ribs? Lots of early tents and even some better brands still do that, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior