My DIY solution to the UEV 440

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Beyond words

As others have commented before me, your talents are way more than just admirable . . .:bowdown:

I just finished reading the entire thread and this is definitely my favorite DIY trailer (but then I lust after a UEV 440 so it's no wonder. Owned a Conqueror base camp several years ago and the move to AUS has certainly improved their products IMO).

Have you much experience using it yet? I don't recall reading about the suspension setup other than the original pages covering your design. How's it been towing behind the Jeep? How happy are you with the overall set up?

All in all, this is so much more than just a very inspiring build. Your own dreams created a reality for your family and I admire that more than anything. If it does eventually come up for sale, I know you won't have any problem selling it. (consider me in line :wavey:) Maybe consider the sale via lottery - sell X number of tickets at Y price to cover your costs plus a profit for your labor and allow those of us who dream of the UEV to own the next best thing.

Your project is just another reason I wish I took metal shop instead of wood working all those years ago in H.S. :ylsmoke:

Thanks for sharing. We are all the better for being allowed to tag along on Rutdigger's excellent trailer adventure.

P.S. - I am up north from you in Fort Worth; if I have any business down in SAT, I will be PMing you for a possible tour. Wiling to pay admission via some wonderful Texas suds!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
All that work then you might have sold it a tear came to my eye.

Great build!!

I took some serious notes. Mine is still in progress.

I know how ya felt!..lol. I am thankful that it things worked out and I didn't need to sell it. We are looking forward to many trips and adventures in it!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Have you much experience using it yet? I don't recall reading about the suspension setup other than the original pages covering your design. How's it been towing behind the Jeep? How happy are you with the overall set up?

P.S. - I am up north from you in Fort Worth; if I have any business down in SAT, I will be PMing you for a possible tour. Wiling to pay admission via some wonderful Texas suds!

Gary, thank you so much for your kind words. I believe all of us have that ability to make the things we love, we just need to the motivation to "try" and not be afraid to fail. I have used this suspension on other trailer builds and it worked out pretty good. I ended up changing that suspension design in this one back to that original one I have used before (the one that is in the final pics) because I used the wrong type of metal when I first began building it, which would have lead to a failure. So, in the spirit of prevention I changed it back to the more stout arms. I am using the same bushings in this one also, only time will tell how those will hold up. If they fail I will pull it out and go with a metal type bushing. I don't want to do that because of road vibration but we will see.

As for towing behind that jeep; it tows great. No sway and with the axle brakes it don't push me when I try and stop. The jury is still out on the air bags doubling as bump stops. I may end up putting some in anyway. Will have to keep monitoring that to see. I haven't had it out on any real trails yet so that will be the best test of it.

So far I am real happy with the setup. Of course that are a few things that I would have planned into the actual built had I known, but are mostly nuisance things, like making that ceiling lid a bit larger to accommodate the canvass, adding a central wiring breaker box instead of using small fuse block panels, using 12 volt batteries instead of using 6 volt, etc. There is another fella in here that is building a 440 inspired camper and is using a side open ceiling lid. I really like this idea as it will give head room all that way to the from mattress.

Any time you are down this way definitely shoot me a pm before you head out and we can get together!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
I want to see pictures of it being used as well.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

So do I...lol. I haven't got off my *** and finished the mattress covers yet or a few other things for that matter. My wife has been hounding me to go camping in it, So I guess I should git r done!..:victory:

ripperj

Explorer
Again, nice build!

Care to elaborate about the 12v vice 6v(I assume 2)
Just about to buy 2 6v GC2 for my truck camper build, maybe you could save me some headaches
Thank you Keith

Sent from my Passport

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Again, nice build!

Care to elaborate about the 12v vice 6v(I assume 2)
Just about to buy 2 6v GC2 for my truck camper build, maybe you could save me some headaches
Thank you Keith

Sent from my Passport

Hi Keith, really my only heartache with the 6volts is that they are not sealed. I wasn't thinking of all the tipping and sloshing these things will be going thru when I bought these things. Yes, they do have a pretty good top cap. Yes, they are mounted down pretty solid. However, the caps still "seap." I don't like "seap". I find that I am having to clean them up from the gas escaping, even if they just sit. I could get the same AMP hours out of a pair of sealed deep cycle batteries with less headache. Just my two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater