my dream machine

metalonmetal

my birthday just passed and my girlfriend got me a canon powershot g9! i'm stuck here at work and all i can think about is heading getting home and trying it out. wondering if anybody else here is using the same camera and has tried the g9 lens adaptors?

Last edited:

metalonmetal

grabbing a few shots from random objects lying around the computer.

ibanez.jpg

fishingbox.jpg

overlander.jpg

Spenser

Adventurer
Drew-I share the love. The board was good enough to help me decide to buy the G9 instead of a DSLR. Do a quick search and you will find all of the input that I received. I purchased the lensmate adaptor. Added the right amoung of "heft" to the camera and provided some "balance" if that makes any sense. I also ditched the neck strap for an optech wrist strap, I found the neck strap kind of cumbersome. Finally, I bought the grip, thumb rest and hot shoe cover from Richard Franic (sp). This is discussed on the G9 webboard that I linked below. Look under the section specific to G9's, very helpful people there as well. Good luck I still havent moved off full auto yet but love the camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Very nice. Photog and others helped me choose the G9 for my upcoming honeymoon in Europe. I have only used SLRs and large format cameras for 10 years now and I had no clue as to what would make a decent yet small camera for the trip.

Glad you put up some shots. They look great:26_7_2: Makes me happy at my decision to get this. Still going to be weird holding a camera like this.

Here is my thread http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8611

Congrats!

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
metalonmetal said:
wondering if anybody else here is using the same camera and has tried the g9?

G9, baah, kids toy. LOL
_DSC0043-2-14.jpg

Seriously though, we've been really impressed with our G9, especially the macro. The only hiccup I've encountered so far is the camera seems to have problems getting the white balance right when focused on an object that is primarily red, orange or has deeper yellows in it. Not a big deal if you shoot RAW but it is a pain if you're shooting jpg.

metalonmetal

i've been forcing myself to learn the ins and outs of the camera just so i can take raw photos (seems like you have to throw all the auto stuff out the window to use raw). i have no experience with any other digital camera, but some of the features the g9 have blow me away. i love pulling up the histogram on the lcd and being able to adjust from there before taking the shot.

Photog

Explorer
Lost Canadian said:
G9, baah, kids toy. LOL

Seriously though, we've been really impressed with our G9, especially the macro. The only hiccup I've encountered so far is the camera seems to have problems getting the white balance right when focused on an object that is primarily red, orange or has deeper yellows in it. Not a big deal if you shoot RAW but it is a pain if you're shooting jpg.

Don't use "auto white balance". Take control of your camera. When you were shooting film, the White Balance was set to "Sunny" ot "Cloudy" - unless you purchased specialty films. If you set your W/B to cloudy, your results will be very similar to film. If you liked the saturated films, then also set the color to "Vivid" (in function menu).
Great fun. :wings:

metalonmetal said:
i've been forcing myself to learn the ins and outs of the camera just so i can take raw photos (seems like you have to throw all the auto stuff out the window to use raw). i have no experience with any other digital camera, but some of the features the g9 have blow me away. i love pulling up the histogram on the lcd and being able to adjust from there before taking the shot.

Try to not use "AUTO" mode. You will gain more control if you switch to "P" mode. Then you can control +/- exposure, white balance, etc. Later you will want to make use of the A & T settings (Aperture & Shutter).

Also, for everyone with a G9, there is a "spare" button above and left of the display screen. White balance (W/B) is used so often, I programmed that button bring up the W/B controls. (This would be a good time to read your manual :wavey: )

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
Downsize the photos to about 600 pixles in the long direction, so we can see the whole thing in one view. Most common screen dimensions are 1024 x 768 pixles.

Like this:

I like this shot.
ibanezweb.jpg

Oh so cute. And already a photographer.
_DSC0043-2-14web.jpg

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
Spenser said:
Drew-I share the love. The board was good enough to help me decide to buy the G9 instead of a DSLR. Do a quick search and you will find all of the input that I received. I purchased the lensmate adaptor. Added the right amoung of "heft" to the camera and provided some "balance" if that makes any sense. I also ditched the neck strap for an optech wrist strap, I found the neck strap kind of cumbersome. Finally, I bought the grip, thumb rest and hot shoe cover from Richard Franic (sp). This is discussed on the G9 webboard that I linked below. Look under the section specific to G9's, very helpful people there as well. Good luck I still havent moved off full auto yet but love the camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

Spenser,
I checked out the Grip. That is very nice.
It looks like it adds just enough to make the camera easy to handle, without being bulky.

I am going to order one. Here is the link.
http://kleptography.com/rf/

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Photog said:
Don't use "auto white balance". Take control of your camera. When you were shooting film, the White Balance was set to "Sunny" ot "Cloudy" - unless you purchased specialty films. If you set your W/B to cloudy, your results will be very similar to film. If you liked the saturated films, then also set the color to "Vivid" (in function menu).
Great fun. :wings:
Never shot film. I've only recently got into "photography" within the last 7-8 months. All previous experience was just point and shoot.

As for white balance, I normally do control it, if I'm trying to take a nice picture. When I'm at something, like say... a social gathering, or just out having a few drinks with friends though, I normally just use the scene modes.

Cheers

Photog

Explorer
Lost Canadian said:
The only hiccup I've encountered so far is the camera seems to have problems getting the white balance right when focused on an object that is primarily red, orange or has deeper yellows in it.

Now - are you talking about white balance or focus?

If you have the white balance set to something specific (cloudy), it does not matter what color you are focused on. The problem is usually the color of the light in the scene. (sun light, flourescent light, shade with blue sky, tungsten light, etc.)

Photog

Explorer
metalonmetal said:
my birthday just passed and my girlfriend got me a canon powershot g9! i'm stuck here at work and all i can think about is heading getting home and trying it out. wondering if anybody else here is using the same camera and has tried the g9 lens adaptors?

Are you using Photoshop to edit your images?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Photog said:
Now - are you talking about white balance or focus?

If you have the white balance set to something specific (cloudy), it does not matter what color you are focused on. The problem is usually the color of the light in the scene. (sun light, flourescent light, shade with blue sky, tungsten light, etc.)

White balance. I discovered this while taking a snap of my friends funny red t-shirt. It turned out looking more purple than red. Again not a big deal if you're shooting in a manual setting mode and saving raw, but if you're out just having fun and don't want to mess around with settings jpg is your only option in the auto modes, and in those modes you have no control over white balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears