My F-150 Expo (sorta)

shanebevel

Hey folks, been reading here for a while and I thought I'd post up and introduce myself. My last truck (may she rest in peace) was a killer 2004 Ranger with a 4.0l and a 5spd. Camper shelled and set up for fun. Here's a photo of the last time I saw her.

73097_451982133075_2276537_n.jpg

Anyhow, clearly.. things went bad.

So I moved on and bought the super sized version of that truck (I am an editorial and commercial photographer and my gear and crew outgrew that truck) So here are the specs.

2010 Ford F-150 4x4 SCREW 5.5' bed
4.6l 3v/6spd auto (Best fuel mileage available at the time, just got 18.5mpg on my most recent trip)
Bilstein 5100s (set to full lift in front)
Cooper AT3s (fantastic tire!)
K&N etc.
Century Royal Camper Shell with Yakima rails, carpeted interior and power lock on window.
Bedrug (for padding and protection of my back and photo gear)
Full power in bed (installed inverter for 120v and cig tap for 12v. 6awg wired direct to battery)
4 Hella 500ffs on NFab front bar.
Yakima bars, Megawarrior with extension and two bike rails on either side.
Yeaesu FT-2800 2-Meter HAM

Since I bought the truck 18 months ago we've put 58k miles on it with no problems so far. We travel a lot and recently did a 3200 mile, 9-day trip to Yellowstone and back in the truck. We are in Tulsa, Okla. Camped in the truck every night and carried all the photo gear, food, flyfishing gear and kitchen gear that we needed.

Here are a few photos from our last trip.

181172_10151081140203076_1430689727_n.jpg
558447_10151081796758076_2019604082_n.jpg
557295_10151075109933076_763671935_n.jpg
Screen shot 2012-08-15 at 10.05.34 PM.jpg

Now, let's be real for a minute... I don't expect to go rock crawling or to run Moab. It's just too long and wide. It won't even do the things my Ranger would do. But it's insanely comfortable and in the middle of the country can handle any road I throw at it while carrying everything I need to live (including a house!). We camp in the bed on a stack of foam mattress toppers (very comfy) and we set up kitchen on the tailgate when there isn't a table around. Fits pretty nice for me. We upland hunt and fly fish and camp and generally travel a lot.

Future plans include Raptor wheels and tires and some decent step/rock bars. I hate the ones that are on there, but my wife truly needs them to get in the truck. Anyone seen any they like?

Anyhow, Thanks for having a look. Thanks for all the information I have garnered from this place. Look forward to more.

NorCalBronco

Observer
I like it alot! Did you do any sort of custom platform/storage/sleeping area setup in the shell besides the bed rug or is it all just piled in there? I just stepped up from a Ranger to a F-150 as well and am pleasantly surprised that even with the 5.4 I'm getting the same gas mileage o_O, I bet the 4.6 does very well. I went extended cab with the 6.5 ft bed and am looking forward to not needing to sleep sideways for once (Im over 6' tall).

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
FYI I went through three steering racks on my 06 f150 with the bilstein 5100s set at 2" up front (within 75k miles).
The left side on the steering racks all developed play with the angle of the tie rod.
I wouldnt go that route again, personally. Get a small lift that fixes the angles on the front end.

shanebevel

I didn't build a platform. I had one in the last truck and I just didn't like it. It tended to gather and hold a bunch of crap that I didn't need to carry on a daily basis and it cost me in fuel. Also, I could never carry anything tall. Bought a couch once and had to go home, remove the platform, remove all the stuff, go get the couch and return all the stuff to the bed of the truck. All afternoon project when it really needed to be about a 15 minute ordeal. For this truck I opted to leave it open. Being that it's a short box, sometimes i need to go up with stuff to get it all it there. I also like being able to have enough headroom to comfortably hang out in there when it's raining etc. Also

Also... the BedRug is fantastic in so many ways. It's the best thing I have bought in a long time. It's perfect for me.

So in this truck I opted for a SwingCase to put basic tools and rescue stuff in (always in the truck, always available, makes a nice table when needed) and the roof rack for everything else. For this trip I have two of the Lowe's boxes (one is kitchen, one is clothing/boots) A 24l ActionPacker in front of that (for fly fishing gear) and then the spare (decoy) tent, camp chairs etc sit in the rack ahead of that. There is a lot more weight and space capacity there for other things when needed. I could actually carry 4 of the big lowes yellow top cases perfectly in the rack.

Also, remember that the backseat of the SCREW is enormous. So we fold the seats up and the Pelican cases (camera gear) go in there. Also a 50qt Yeti and an 8L ActionPacker (cold and dry food accordingly)

Setting up camp is easy. Kitchen comes down, Yeti and 8lAP come out. We have dinner then all three go in the bear box at the camp. Or back inside the back seat if there is no bear box. We get what clothes we need and jump in the truck to sleep. Bed stays made all week. Nothing dirty (boots, wet waders food etc) ever goes in the bed, so even over 9 days it stays nice and clean. That's important to the wife!

shanebevel

Interesting Brian... I've had these on for 50k miles or more and have yet to see any issues at all. Truck is as tight as it was when it was new.

I will say that with the 2" up front and the camper shell /general cargo of camera gear in the bed, The truck does squat. I have thought about adding a small block to the back to level it out when it's loaded.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
nice ride !

what is the tubular light bar on the front bumper?

any idea of brand or where you purchased it etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online