my fg/camper pre purchase plan "101"

haven

Expedition Leader
frame rails

The specs from the Fuso international web page seem to match the specs for the current North American Fuso FE. The dimensions for the cab match within a couple of mm, and the frame rail dimensions are the same.

The current FG does have different specs for the frame. The FG frame is made from 4.5mm thick steel shaped into a "C" channel that's 60mm wide and 190mm tall. The FE frame is 6mm steel, shaped 70mm wide and 226mm tall. So the FE frame would be considerably more rigid, that is, capable of carrying the same weight without as much deflection as the FG frame.

On the other hand, the FG's frame would twist more when traveling over uneven terrain. The twist could keep the tires in contact with the ground a little better. In effect, the frame becomes part of the truck's suspension.

I think that if the FE's stronger frame is used for the FG model that will be introduced this Fall, then the FG suspension will have to be somewhat different to provide the same level of off-road traction that the current model has. Some extra ground clearance will have to be added to give the transfer case and front drive shaft room to connect to the front axle. This could be accomplished by using taller wheels and tires, or by using a greater arc in the leaf springs.

The FE crew cab is available only in one wheelbase, 165 inches. This produces a cab to rear axle dimension of 103 inches. The turning diameter is 48 feet.

The comparable FG wheelbase is 136 inches, with cab to rear axle of 110 inches and turning diameter of 38 feet.

So the trade-off of using a crew cab is adding 10 feet to your turning circle.

Chip Haven

Gold Boy

Adventurer
and may be, we can now look forward to building in articulation with well known suspension methods.

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
I'm confused. Are you guys suggesting a crew cab FG (with a stiffer frame and no frame step) is coming soon? Available in the US? If so, this is big news.

Bob

Gold Boy

Adventurer
aux fuel tank

is it possible to extend the factory fuel tank for a larger capacity?
duel tanks on both sides or one side?

thanks again fuso fellows!

:26_34_3:

haven

Expedition Leader
dual tanks

Here's one example of a long wheelbase Fuso with a second tank added on the passenger side

bigfoot2.jpg

The larger tank is the stock 33 gallon tank. The smaller holds 18 gallons. Let's see: 51 gallon capacity * 14 mpg = 714 mile range.

To make room for the second tank, the bands that hold the stock tank were loosened, and the stock tank moved forward. You can see the greyish vertical marks where the bands were originally gripping the tank.

The photo shows the Fuso FG chassis Carl Hunter prepared to receive a Bigfoot 17 foot long travel trailer. After this photo was taken, Carl added a three point mount, with the two fixed points above the rear axle, and a pivot point at the front.

Here are Carl and his wife, Mary, standing with their camper. You can see the aluminum storage box Carl added next to the battery on the driver's side of the Fuso chassis.

bigfoot1.jpg

Chip Haven

FusoFG

Adventurer
Gold Boy said:
is it possible to extend the factory fuel tank for a larger capacity?
duel tanks on both sides or one side?

thanks again fuso fellows!

:26_34_3:

I mounted another 33 gallon tank on the drivers side. I bought a used fuel tank - might have come from an isuzu - there the same. It came with the j brackets and staps that secure the tank.

I bought the frame stand off brackets from fuso and mounted the tank in a similar location as the stock tank but on the drivers side. I was able to use some existing frame holes and had to drill a couple new ones.

On my 1993 short wheelbase FG I had to move the batteries (mounted 4 optimas inside the camper) but on my 2004 long wheelbase FG there was plenty of room.

I didn't connect them together because I worried about damage to the connecting hose.

I installed two 3 way valves, one for the pick up and one for the return so I could switch them manually.

I added a spdt switch on the fuel gauge sender so I could switch the gauge from tank to tank.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
FusoFG said:
I mounted another 33 gallon tank on the drivers side. I bought a used fuel tank - might have come from an isuzu - there the same. It came with the j brackets and staps that secure the tank.

I bought the frame stand off brackets from fuso and mounted the tank in a similar location as the stock tank but on the drivers side. I was able to use some existing frame holes and had to drill a couple new ones.

On my 1993 short wheelbase FG I had to move the batteries (mounted 4 optimas inside the camper) but on my 2004 long wheelbase FG there was plenty of room.

I didn't connect them together because I worried about damage to the connecting hose.

I installed two 3 way valves, one for the pick up and one for the return so I could switch them manually.

I added a spdt switch on the fuel gauge sender so I could switch the gauge from tank to tank.

Battery question: did you use your camper batteries to start the engine or kept the starter batteries separate?

FusoFG

Adventurer
Bajaroad said:
Battery question: did you use your camper batteries to start the engine or kept the starter batteries separate?

old camper had 2 yellow top optimas to start the engine, 2 yellow top optimas to power the camper, both battery banks connected to a marine battery switch that would allow all batteries to be connected together to start the engine if necessary.

new camper has 2 conventional engine batteries and 3 yellow top camper batteries to power the camper. marine battery switches to separate or combine camper batteries as needed, but I would use jumber camper cables between the camper batteries and the engine batteries if I needed help starting.

Gold Boy

Adventurer
FusoFG said:

maybe i will end up doing similar.

i am considering, cutting the stock tank in half and extending it to the desired length. then i would not have to bother about an extra fuel line.

Gold Boy

Adventurer
haven said:
Here's one example of a long wheelbase Fuso with a second tank added on the passenger side

The larger tank is the stock 33 gallon tank. The smaller holds 18 gallons. Let's see: 51 gallon capacity * 14 mpg = 714 mile range.

To make room for the second tank, the bands that hold the stock tank were loosened, and the stock tank moved forward. You can see the greyish vertical marks where the bands were originally gripping the tank.

The photo shows the Fuso FG chassis Carl Hunter prepared to receive a Bigfoot 17 foot long travel trailer. After this photo was taken, Carl added a three point mount, with the two fixed points above the rear axle, and a pivot point at the front.

Here are Carl and his wife, Mary, standing with their camper. You can see the aluminum storage box Carl added next to the battery on the driver's side of the Fuso chassis.

Chip Haven

thanks Chip

was the extra tank a factory option?

haven

Expedition Leader
extra tank

"was the extra tank a factory option?"

No, the extra tank was added by the shop in Vancouver Carl used to set up the chassis and mount the camper.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I added an extra tank in the space between the rear of the original tank and the rear wheel. It is 24 " long by 20" diameter vs the 15" diameter of the original tank. The tank was made locally and holds 33 gallons. It gravity feeds into the Mitsu tank. Maybe not as neat and pretty as having everything the same diameter but it doubles my fuel load.

Gold Boy

Adventurer
DontPanic42 said:
I added an extra tank in the space between the rear of the original tank and the rear wheel. It is 24 " long by 20" diameter vs the 15" diameter of the original tank. The tank was made locally and holds 33 gallons. It gravity feeds into the Mitsu tank. Maybe not as neat and pretty as having everything the same diameter but it doubles my fuel load.

gravity fed, i like that idea....

how do you fill the aux tank up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater