my first fishing kayak

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well guys secretly I have been spending alot of time with Liquid Logic kayaks helping to design some new sit on top fishing kayaks. after 6 months of work the first of the new Manta Ray kayaks has hit the street. The first is a 12' model that has totally raised the bar both in comfort and rigging options. This is the first kayak I get to lay some design claims to so I'm excited. Although I have helped on several boats like the Bell angler, Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, and few others I was kind of stiffed with no credit.

We just finished our first fishing show this weekend and officially exposed the kayaks to the public. The reponse was even better then I expected and led to record sales at this event! Better then double any other year at this show. I am so stoked that all this time and effort is going to pay off for me and Liquid Logic. They are officially on the map in one of the fastest growing sports out there. 15 years of paddling fishing experience wil start to pay off now as I get to be involved in more design work. Canoe/Kayak design is my long term goal so having the oppourtunity to work with the awesome people at liquid logic has been a great experience and the beginning of a gret relationship. We are already planning some more kayaks for next year!

Here is a link to their web site. http://liquidlogicmantaray.blogspot.com/2005/11/introducing-manta-ray.html We are also planning a kayak fishing expedition to baja to shoot a big promo video and what not. my sponsored guys took the boats down to the evergaldes to shoot some catalog stuff last week so look for pics to be up soon on liguids web site!

xjclassic

that is great, good work. My father and I both have Liquidlogic kayaks. I just got mine and have not had it out yet, can't wait for warmer weather here in the NE.

Scott Brady

Founder
This does look like a lot of fun.

Marlin1_0504.jpg

I guess I am still partial to jumping in the water with the fishies though

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
That's a nice design. I wondered where you'd keep your tackle when fishing. That open spot behind the seat?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
That's a nice design. I wondered where you'd keep your tackle when fishing. That open spot behind the seat?

Yep the area behind the seat is called a tank well. it is molded to secure scuba tanks, a 5 gallon bucket or legal size office crate to store tackle etc. An office crate/ milk crate is the most common thing used to store tackle in. my personal one has been outfitted so far with 7 rod holders, wade line, anchor with trolley system, ram gps mount, navigation light, some extra clips and bungies for securing other items in and around the cockpit. Coming soon is depth/fishfinder. :D

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
xjclassic said:
that is great, good work. My father and I both have Liquidlogic kayaks. I just got mine and have not had it out yet, can't wait for warmer weather here in the NE.

Which ones do you have?

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Right on scott. I guess spearing is still the most intimate way to catch fish. Nice thing about kayak fishing though is you don't have to be a top notch snorkeler to do it. Any one can do this.

atavuss

Adventurer
I have been thinking about getting a kayak, canoe, or an inflatable pontoon boat to be able to get into the High Sierra mountain lakes for trout fishing. I cannot swim at all, would the pontoon be the most stable and safest? heck, should I just stay on the friggen shore?! :confused:

blaze one

Adventurer
those look great , as for the post above me , you should always be wearing a life jacket ! especially if you can't swim

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Just an update. Liquid Logic has started getting some of the video we shot for rigging this kayak posted on their site here is a link.

http://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/products/mantaray.html

Despite the fact this boat has been slow to launch do to some challenges with the rotomolder, the initial reviews from owners has been awesome. There are a few reviews already on paddling.net as well as the Liquid Logic forum. Looks like this boat is everything I was hoping it would be.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
performance sit on tops are tough to come by. Especially in composite. I would look for an overseas manufacturer. There are a few that come out of south africa that are good. You will have a bit of await to get it. I would say 6-12 months.

here are a few that I know the first is a U.S. boat.

Model: REVENGE Manufacturer: SEDA
Length: 16’ 6" Width: 25" Height: 13"
Weight: 54 lbs. Passenger & Gear Capacity: NA lbs.
Material: Fiberglass Rudder or Skeg Option?: NA
Possible Hatches: Notes: Available in Kevlar
Solo or Tandem?: SOLO Classification: TOURING
Also Known As: NONE Status: IN PRODUCTION Suggested Retail: $1250-1550

Model: FUTURA 15 Manufacturer: FUTURA
Length: 15' Width: 24" Height: NA
Weight: 35 lbs. Passenger & Gear Capacity: 245 lbs.
Material: Fiberglass Rudder or Skeg Option?: RUDDER
Possible Hatches: 1 Notes: stable
Solo or Tandem?: SOLO Classification: RECREATION
Also Known As: NONE Status: IN PRODUCTION Suggested Retail: $1750

I have seen a Seda revenge before in person. It looked well made in reguards to the glass work. http://www.sedakayak.com/sea_kayaks/revenge.htm

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Actually heritage has always been independant. They just sold however about 2 months ago to Andy Zimmerman. He was the original owner of wilderness systems and started the confluence investment group. He sold out his part of confluence and bought a store in N.C. called pro canoe which he renamed to Get Outdoors. He will be relocating Heritage to N.C. but it is still independent not affiliated with and of the big investment companies like Confluence or Johnson.

They are my heroes in reguard to target marketing. They took out an ad in a paddle industry magazine that said "we do buisness with small buisness because no one wants to buisiness with a bunch of Dicks" this was an anti specialty box store ad targeting ********'s Sporting Goods. They only sell to small specialty kayak shops. Although now that Andy owns it that will change I'm sure. Andy doesn't look out for his customers like the original heritage owners did.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Good luck!!!

I know the popularity here in San Diego has really exploded. On any Saturday morning there are 20-40 guys out kayak fishing. The other amazing thing is how much gear they put on there. They have bait tanks, fish finders, VHF radios.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
blupaddler said:
Good luck!!!

I know the popularity here in San Diego has really exploded. On any Saturday morning there are 20-40 guys out kayak fishing. The other amazing thing is how much gear they put on there. They have bait tanks, fish finders, VHF radios.

That's why fisherman ar such great customers. They need all that stuff LOL! No seriously though it's like our rigs just alot less expensive overall. the little projects are fun. Mine has a wade line, anchor with full trolley system, 7 rod holders a custom office crate to hold gear, GPS, fish finder, compass, navigation light, and several other custom mounts for things like boca grips etc.

Most guys view outfitting as a pain in the ass and it just cuts into fishing time. I however find that rigging boats is the most fun. Just like our 4wd rigs they must be very well laid out and organised to carry all that stuff in a small space.

Here is alink to one of my customers boats. I think one ust about has it all. I think if Scott was gettin ginto kayak fishing this would be his kayak (of course he would get a custom white one LOL!). http://www.paddle-fishing.com/rigs/toddtarpon140.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12