My first regear contact pattern opinions please

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Pic didn't come through. You need a case spreader to properly set the carrier bearing preload on the dana housings.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Your assessment looks correct. Maybe a little deep and in the root. I'd probably be inclined to try to improve it but you may not get it much better. It would probably run fine as is.

What do we think of this ?
fea6c3faa5eaa7e5588ab33a80f15eb1.jpg
89ba735ed288c366258904404b3b5ccb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Kudos to you for trying this yourself

I’m fairly handy and can fix or modify most things..

With that being said, I regeared a vehicle ONCE myself and when it was done, I promptly determined it was one of those things I’d suck up and pay a pro to do from them on out ?

And those were on Toyota 3rd members which are “easier” in the grand scheme of things

Well done sir

Im a mechanic by trade and it kills me to let anyone else work on my vehicles. Plus if i do it my self i can afford more mods. That being said ive been a tech for 15yr and sadly thease are the first axles ive re geared. I work at a dealer and regearing just is not something we have had any demand for.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Im a mechanic by trade and it kills me to let anyone else work on my vehicles. Plus if i do it my self i can afford more mods. That being said ive been a tech for 15yr and sadly thease are the first axles ive re geared. I work at a dealer and regearing just is not something we have had any demand for.

Yeah, I’m just a lifetime hobbyist and it also kills me to let anyone else work on my trucks. I wanna know how it all works to fix it later.

But as I get older, I’m getting more educated on when exactly I’m over my head ?

Final check with new bearings and such. Ive got 6 thou back lash spec says 4-9 so good there pinion bearing preload is 32in lbs spec says 20-40 i think its good to run but here is the final pattern ( hopefully) looks with new bearings like it may be a tiny bit more twards toe but i think its good?
a8932a240b705dd8e89fabb51e8208e3.jpg
66213ffac1a010d116ca676f254aa244.jpg

Last edited:
Also note starting to run lower on marking compound so that could be a little of the diffrence.

McGuyver

I'm a novice at setting up gears also. However FWIW, in my research I found that having the contact pattern slightly biased toward the toe of the gear is not a bad thing, because when the gears are under load, and as the gears wear, the contact pattern will move toward the heel.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears