My fridge lid broke and I don't think I'll fix it!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Some may have seen my post that the lid broke on my Indel-B TB-41 / Truckfridge TF-41 back in May. It broke because my wife couldn't remember not to let it slam when she was getting something out of the fridge. :rolleyes:
I ordered a new lid but couldn't figure out how to get the pins in to attach it, so I've been using the old lid and just latching it into place on the latch side and letting the lid set on the hinge side. It actually sets in there pretty snugly.
But here's the thing: Used to be, if I was getting something out of the fridge I always needed two hands, one to hold the lid up and the other to reach for whatever I was getting. If I needed to move something around in the fridge it was a hassle because I was trying to use both hands while also propping the lid up with my elbow. And of course, the Indel-B has the hinge on the back of the fridge vs. the side so that means the lid has to be lifted high in order to get something out.
Since the lid broke, though, it's much easier. If I need to get something out, I just unlatch the lid, lift it out of the way and set it down. When I'm done I replace the lid and latch it down. So much easier because I don't need a hand holding up the lid. Also it means I can access the fridge from any side since I'm completely removing the lid.
Of course, I realize that by removing the lid I'm letting the "cold" out but as long as I'm only doing it briefly, it hasn't caused any problems.
I swear if I get another fridge I may seriously consider making the lid detachable.

pluton

Adventurer
Good solution to the problem of the wrong way opening lids. If my Engel MT45 lid breaks I'll do as you have.

B

BPD53

My Indel B fridge lid broke too. It was junk. I liked the fridge, but I was easy with it and it still broke. I used epoxy and some all thread to rebuild it, but it looks awful.

They wanted a war price for a new lid as well. I ended up giving the Indel B fridge to a buddy when I lucked into an ARB. The ARB is currently at the repair facility because the compressor runs 24/7 for some reason.

I hate to hear others having issues with their fridges, but in a weird way I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I am seriously considering switching back to a cooler. I guess anything can break, but I've had bad luck with fridges for some reason.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My Indel B fridge lid broke too. It was junk. I liked the fridge, but I was easy with it and it still broke. I used epoxy and some all thread to rebuild it, but it looks awful.
They wanted a war price for a new lid as well. I ended up giving the Indel B fridge to a buddy when I lucked into an ARB. The ARB is currently at the repair facility because the compressor runs 24/7 for some reason.
I hate to hear others having issues with their fridges, but in a weird way I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I am seriously considering switching back to a cooler. I guess anything can break, but I've had bad luck with fridges for some reason.
Other than the broken lid (which was our fault and has not impaired function a bit) we have had zero issues with ours in 4 seasons of camping (bought it in June of 2014) and we camp a LOT, like 10 - 15 times a year, and often for 5 - 8 days at a time.
I have the new lid for mine but I think I'll just stash it away for whenever I decided to sell this fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior