My G500 needs bumper advice

aircruiser

Observer
g (6).jpg

So there I was minding my own business and a Kia Sportage gets up close and personal. The G did great, the Kia not so much. No one was harmed.

I got an estimate today from a independent shop and go to the insurance adjuster tomorrow. Looks like at least $10,500 without even getting creative. This is a Europa late 2000 G500. Is the tire carrier(different offset) the only difference between this and MBUSA models? Damaged items: Bumper cover, end caps, wheel flares, brackets, door shell, spare tire cover, carrier assembly, etc... I haven't checked to see if the spare rim is tweaked or checked for frame damage. Do you think it is likely?

The stock bumper certainly did well in this accident but was thinking about getting some real steel back there. My options are the ORC tube bumper?
G rorc.jpg

Or Mercedes PUR bumper?
G_pur.jpg

I'm not into bling or shiny things and use my truck as intended. I would like it to look well balance with a ARB FJ75 Bull Bar that I'm planning.
G arb.jpg

or the ORC front bumpers.
G_1800.JPG

I have read most of the posts referencing these offerings but would like some pros/cons or suggestions.

I will probably go to a different tire cover anyway because I plan on having larger od tires soon. What are your thoughts on the products available?

I am typically a forum reader only and have much appreciated all of the information posted over the years. Thanks to all of you, especially DUTCH for his help over the last month.

Attachments

• G_1800.jpg
    G_1800.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
$10,500?

Is that a typo or upside down insurance adjustment?

No, just a different league of vehicles - hand built in limited quantities!

My G-500 got rear-ended last year, same amount of damage. The total bill at a Beverly Hills bodyshop was $17,400.00 - including lots of hassle, plus a BMW X5 rental for weeks

reece146

Automotive Artist
Sounds like upside down insurance adjustment to me. It's still a metal box on wheels, hand built "mysticism" need not apply.

I really doubt military Gs cost that much to repair for the same damage. Mind you, they aren't repaired in Beverly Hills either.

aircruiser

Observer
The rear door shell is $2200, $1600 for the tire cover, $600 bumper cover, $240 sticker is a little extreme, etc... It all adds up. This one will be repaired out side of Atlanta and after all is said and done will be close to the Beverly Hills cost. Its not the labour, it is the parts and shipping.

motrjay

No, just a different league of vehicles - hand built in limited quantities!

My G-500 got rear-ended last year, same amount of damage. The total bill at a Beverly Hills bodyshop was $17,400.00 - including lots of hassle, plus a BMW X5 rental for weeks

Seriously?
I could buy 3 Excellent Condition diesel G-Wagens here for that and still have 2,400 dollars for fuel!

aircruiser

Observer
I don't want this to turn into a repair cost comparison. Just looking for some advice on your favorite rear bumper and why.

Last edited:

rhyno

I would do the ORC tube rear bumper and front bumper. The ARB bumper is just to big and bulky looking.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sorry to hear aircruiser. :(

As you may know, ARB front for a G is using a modified FJ70 Troopy from what I've heard. A German ARB dealer knows the trick to get one to fit.

Other options I'd suggest;
-Fernweh/G-Wagen Accessories' bumpers(done yet Karl???)
-Mike Serpe's bumpers at GWagenPreserve. I can email you pics of these as seen on his old silver G500 if you'd like.
-Desert Service; http://www.desert-service.com/shop/....html&XTCsid=707d8df82b449de324edd381bc8cddf1

aircruiser

Observer
Thank you for the new options. I spied one of Karl's rear bumpers and jumped on a list. I will do some digging for the offerings from GWagenPreserve.

I do like the desert service front, it looks like a good match with Karl's rear prototype. Do you know anyone that has used one?
popup_image.php
sorry no pic, iPhone new guy problem
For the ARB. I think Steve at EuroTruck has the necessary bracket to make it work.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thank you for the new options. I spied one of Karl's rear bumpers and jumped on a list. I will do some digging for the offerings from GWagenPreserve.

I do like the desert service front, it looks like a good match with Karl's rear prototype. Do you know anyone that has used one?
popup_image.php
sorry no pic, iPhone new guy problem
For the ARB. I think Steve at EuroTruck has the necessary bracket to make it work.

You're very welcome.
Is there a list for Karl's? I haven't heard a peep from him on it.

I don't know anyone that's used a Desert Service front. A friend in Ireland is using their rear swing-out.

aircruiser

Observer
I can't speak for Karl. He is working on one and I need one, so I'd call it a pre order.

I've been exchanging with Mike at GP. Nice products. I see myself with the slim line, wide with all the goodies. Nice rear also. I'll post some photos when I get back to my computer.

PICT0041.JPGPICT0054.JPGPICT0048.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior