My Gen 2.5 build and Custom fabrication

No worries, thought it would be easier and look cleaner than that.

Yeah, I see no benefit to it on an overlanding/expedition vehicle. It's more of a rock crawling thing and that's not what this forum is all about. Most expedition rigs go the other direction by adding mudflaps because they are functional in expedition travel. There is also no benefit because the tank still hangs low. For those reasons I am not a fan of cutting up the rear of the vehicle, not to mention it looks bad.

Like I have always said, if you want a rock crawler, don't get a Montero. There are better platforms for building a crawler.

4DD55 Performance, we all modify our rigs to suit our needs. My rear quarters were all banged up and my bumper as well, so that's why I chopped them. To avoid anymore contact. PERIOD. Plus, I actually do like the way it looks, as well as others. It's all opinion :) . The caps will be covered by the new bumper anyways, and the added space for me to play around with bumper ideas will be nice.

The gas tank, yes I plan on raising the gas tank, once I do the 2" body lift I'm going to do a 3 inch tank lift, or at least
As high as I can possibly lift it.

Monteros can't be crawlers? Pft!! Sorry man, yes there are much better platforms for crawlers that is a given But I don't have another vehicle, I have a montero because I want a montero :) and with my future plans for this truck I'll have no problem crawling over pretty much whatever I want that is within reason and comfortably, sitting on 35s. My 2cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I think if you're going to wheel your second gen Montero i think it's mandatory to chop the rear quarters unless you're only planning on doing Subaru trails. They get in the way and they are right in the departure angle of the rear tires. Chop and cap, if you then raise the gas tank you'll be ready for some serious action.

Here's mine, sort of a mini boat side. I have mixed feelings on the whole boat side thing, i'm going to cut the tubes off and make this truck's 4th bumper (going to go to a swing down tire carrier).

DSCF9896.jpg

DSCF9897.jpg

Keep building and have it ready for the Sierra Nevada Challenge 2015!

Good work dude!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
This is my "crawler" below, the Montero will just be getting the complete OME suspension plus 33x10.50's with sliders and bumpers. Although I'm sure the Montero will complete some of the same trails as my Jeep, it will mostly just be our hunting and fishing rig.

Sneakyninja I like the way you think, I planned on putting hooks on the back as well but I'm having a difficult time sourcing them for under 100 bucks ! :& I haven't been so lucky at the local pick a part also lol

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Sneakyninja I like the way you think, I planned on putting hooks on the back as well but I'm having a difficult time sourcing them for under 100 bucks ! :& I haven't been so lucky at the local pick a part also lol

I think you may want to take a short trip and visit the rest of the AZ crew in Phoenix...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
This is my "crawler" below,
Looks like fun. I don't have too many pics of mine on hard core trails since 'Life' has gotten in the way of me going on some of those trips but I'm hoping this year will be a little different...

Just so you can see what your Montero can (IMHO) more easily be built to run...
carlos_climb_1a_4x3_128colors.gif

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Yeah the "duty cycle" of a Montero is second to none so this trait makes it a good canadate for a crawler in my opinion.

Thank you sneakyninja that helped, I'll have to get some ordered up.

Off-roaster dude your trucks looking nice, love the way it handled the crawling as well. What's your gearing?

Btw more pictures to come soon of the finished air box-to snorkel modification on the truck. I Modified a ford V8 air box (bigAss. Cylinder, lol) to house a performance cone filter inside, and still be easily removed and cleaned when needed. It was free, and took only a few hours with some creative thinking. So no complaints on my end. :p Just waiting now on the 45 degree elbow to connect the air box to the snorkel fender tube, and she is all done and I'll post all of the pics at once.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Sorry slick. that's carlos' aka cap510's truck. i'm usually the guy behind the camera so unfortunately I have very few pics of me doing something like that. Plus I wouldn't have made that line since I'm only on 35' with the stock drivetrain while he's on 37's with 4.90's (marginal improvement) & dual lockers (major improvement).

Jeep-n-montero I'm actually going to fab up a 3 inch mandrel exhaust here shortly, getting rid of the cat all together. I'm pretty sure my cat is clogged up anyway. I love the sound of borla, so I've chosen the borla xs 3 inch in/out offset design. I'll post more pics this week of some of the trucks progress

Off-Roader dang I didn't realize he's on 37's that's huge! I want to go 35s next time once I save up for the gearing. And also, I've been trying to find aftermarket torsion bars but the only website mentioned on the forums is down at the moment. Can anyone help me out and point me In the right direction? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger