My humble bumper build

matt s

Explorer
Updated: Gas can gate/rack completed, added post below.

Wish this were a trip report, but that will have to wait a few weeks. If you are a real fabricator, move on nothing to see here! :elkgrin: For you other average joes who like build stuff, here you go.

Where I started.

i-fBF8DVg-L.jpg

Functional yes. Ugly, yes. Also having the gate swing out six feet was a lot of strain on the hinge when loaded and the tire being centered and the addition of the gas can mounts made access over the tailgate via the hatch a real pain. Think loading groceries and you will see what I mean.

So a buddy and I hit up the local pick and pull to find an heavy duty tow bumper to start the project with. We scoured the lot and didn't find much, but as we were giving up we found this one on the way back to the car.

i-k7MmqjF-L.jpg

Heavy steel, already a decent looking shape and a great base to start from. Rusty as all get out, but solid.

A sawsall and grinder to remove the lower tow section and then wire wheel it clean in preparation for welding. A full day of grinding and it's looking better.

i-tv7FqdN-L.jpg

I located some 1" cold rolled steel to use for the hinge pin for the new gate. I am going with two gates each much smaller than the original. More importantly for me both gates remove with ease. Here is a shot getting ready to weld in the rod. You can't see it here but I added a plate of 1/4" on the underside of the top of the bumper where the rod passes through.

i-G9cGs78-L.jpg

I sourced some 1" ID brass collared bushings and some chromally tubing that fit the 1.25" OD of the bushing. Chromally was a challenge to weld into the square tube, but with some preheating etc. I got it to work. Here it is before I cut and welded.

i-3nHss4J-L.jpg

Here is a shot showing the new gate being test fit. The white washers are high density poly stuff. I bought six inches of it and cut my own "washers". If you look you can see that I added 1/4"x2 angle iron into the bottom of the bumper to beef it up. I want to be able to jack anywhere on this with a high lift. You can also see the vertical support I that later will be tied into the portion that gets bolted to the frame.

i-7zPdwRs-L.jpg

Here is a close up of the hinge. The rod is drilled for the castle nut but you can't see it here.

i-zXwqPm7-L.jpg

I thought about a wide range of different options for a latch and in the end settled for simple. this is a high quality 1/2" push pin. Spendy little sucker but very well made.

i-hHHk3bR-L.jpg

Here is some more high density plastic I had lying around. I used it to make the support for the swing arm. Ground a bevel on it to help the gate shut really smoothly. Between the plastic support and the stop tab is just a piece of neoprene. It cushions the gate but also puts just a touch of pressure on the pin the keep things from wiggling and rattling. (works perfectly BTW)

i-BH9CvHT-L.jpg

Ok kind of a jump in the photos here. In this you can see the 3 receiver hitches I added and the various supports I welded in as well as the bolt up pattern for the frame.

Why 3 receivers? I was going to add pad eyes for shackle mounts, but realized that one would be behind the tire and they also would likely bang and rattle. In addition figuring a way to make sure that the structure behind the pad eyes would be solid presented issues. By far the strongest part of this bumper is in the original step (tow) section. Attaching receivers here was a no brainer.

This way I can use receiver hitch shackles. Also I have a matching set of receivers up front (for my snow plow mount I built this winter). I am now set up to run a winch front or rear from a very solid two receiver set up. Anyone got money to buy me a winch???:sombrero:

i-NfGqCcf-L.jpg

Test fitting on the blazer. You can see the pin for the other gate in this shot. I have not built my "gas can" gate yet as I am still thinking about how I want to set it up.

i-F9nvdtv-L.jpg

POR - 15

i-jQp8G7q-L.jpg

Mounted up. No that's not your eyes. The original bumper has a camber to it like a frown. Why they built it that way I don't know, I don't love it but will get over it.

i-tKgBQRQ-L.jpg

The final addition. I have saved this little brass gem for two years waiting for this day.

i-cKTffLL-L.jpg

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
Forgot to mention. Cost.

Rusty Bumper $75

I reused most of the old bumper and other steel on hand (angle iron), so steel was not much. $20 for the cold rolled I think.

Bushings, Push Pins, odds and ends. Total $100

POR - 15 and Top Coat, $120

So a little over 300 in the end. Call it $350 if you include expendable stuff like welding rod, grinding disks etc.

Paladin

Banned
Not bad. Nothing wrong with that. Well, actually, one suggestion. Add a diagonal reinforcement to that tire holder. Even a 6" piece of 1" tube will help immensely.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting this write up. That bumper should last you a good 40 years of service. :smiley_drive:

matt s

Explorer
Nice job man. I like it. Simple and gets the job done.

Nice! thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Not bad. Nothing wrong with that. Well, actually, one suggestion. Add a diagonal reinforcement to that tire holder. Even a 6" piece of 1" tube will help immensely.

Umm, there is one. :ylsmoke:

i-7zPdwRs-L.jpg

Unless you mean perpendicular to the gate out to the tire. I don't see a need there, as it's 2 inch 1/4 stock and actually that part of the gate I salvaged from the old gate and added the brace you see in the photo above. The joint has been holding strong for many years. if I see any signs of failure I can ad a brace. Thanks for checking it out!

Thanks for posting this write up. That bumper should last you a good 40 years of service. :smiley_drive:

Let's hope the rig is still legal to drive in 40 years :sombrero:

Last edited:

Paladin

Banned
Unless you mean perpendicular to the gate out to the tire. I don't see a need there, as it's 2 inch 1/4 stock and actually that part of the gate I salvaged from the old gate and added the brace you see in the photo above. The joint has been holding strong for many years. if I see any signs of failure I can ad a brace. Thanks for checking it out!

That's what I meant. If you made it out of 1/4" and it's been holding, that's cool. It's almost identical to mine in design, but I made mine out of 1/8" 2x2 with the brace. Stronger and lighter. No big deal though.

Burl Swift

I love this bumper build. I will definitly be on the prowl for a recycled bumper now, seeing what you can do with one.

matt s

Explorer
I love this bumper build. I will definitly be on the prowl for a recycled bumper now, seeing what you can do with one.

thanks, I am pleased with it. I can't take credit for the idea of recycling an old tow bumper, my buddy came up with that one. Saved me a lot of time.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Not that it matters, but just curious, what did the tow bumper come off of? Like it, and love the old Blazer body styles!

matt s

Explorer
Not that it matters, but just curious, what did the tow bumper come off of? Like it, and love the old Blazer body styles!

Thanks, I dig them too. I find myself spotting 68-72 chevy rigs all over. I feel this urge to check each one out.

It was on a late 70's F-250. I didn't even take measurements, but got dang lucky. It's an exact fit (width), even tucks under the tailgate and the cutouts/notches for the rear quarters were a perfect match too. Dumb luck on that one!:Wow1: Of course bed dimensions were a lot more standard between manufactures then too.

I am sure that like most of the tow bumpers of the era this one was an aftermarket job. I don't know if it was a custom fab up or purchased from a vendor similar to ordering from a company like ARB now.

For fit up all I had to do was cut off the old mounts and as you saw above welded in my own to match my frame.

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
UPDATE: Finally got around to building the gas can gate. I struggled with what I wanted to accomplish with this and went back and forth between several options. In the end I decided that the old Conn Ferr gas can racks I had worked pretty well and provided a clean and simple install. So today I built a new gate and welded the can racks to it.

Here you go, simple, effective. Needs paint and a castle nut for the gate hinge.

i-T64gZ2X-L.jpg

i-dBnx98W-L.jpg

CowboyUp

You did a great job :wings: !!
I will starting to look after one too :coffee: .

Thanks for posting up!

:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears