My Jeep Warranty Nightmare

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So, it all began several years ago, when my neighbor took his 2006 Chrysler 300 to a local dealership with a mysterious stalling problem. At the time, I was rolling in a 2006 Charger, and I had the not-at-all mysterious "don't fill the gas tank or it stalls" problem. After replacing his tank, they couldn't figure out his problem. They kept that car for over 9 months, declaring it "fixed" several times. It only made it clear of the dealer parking lot on one of those occasions, before stalling on the road in front of the dealership. Eventually, they decided that the best course of action was to offer him a discount on a used Chevy they had taken in trade. Yes, the Chrysler dealer couldn't fix the car, so they gave up and let him trade it in for a Chevy. I laughed my ******** off for quite some time, thinking that he was being taken for a ride because he really isn't a car guy! Those of you with an eye for foreshadowing are laughing at me right now... and you're right.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I've traded the charger for a JKUR. On the Niagara Rim Trail back in mid October, I suffered a mysterious loss of all brake pedal that allowed me to roll merrily backwards down a hill and into a pile of rocks and trees. After that, I seemed to have brakes again, including the normal very hard pedal that accompanies hill descent control use. I thought maybe I was an idiot, and that I had hit the wrong pedal or otherwise engaged in "loose nut behind the wheel" behavior... until we hit the pavement again.

As we cruised down the mountain on day 2, I quickly realized that I had little to no brake pressure, requiring 3-5 pumps to "maybe" stop. At other times, one push of the pedal would do it with no issue. The randomness was a little scary. Anyway, I had 200 miles give or take to get home, and it isn't the first vehicle I've had with no brakes, so I took it back. After a long highway run, everything seemed functional, but not fantastic. That day, I found a leaking differential, where I peeled back a cover on a rock. It took a week of after work evenings to get the diff cover repaired, and then driving the Jeep immediately revealed the bad brakes again. I had completely inspected the underside and found no leaks, no bubbled rubber, and no issues of any kind.

I have 1500 miles left on the warranty, and was losing no fluid, plus the working hill descent control seemed to indicate that the ABS system was working. The only other thing I could figure on was a bad master cylinder. Rock Auto gets about $140 for a master cylinder, and I could change it in a couple of hours... but I have that warranty... can you hear the ominous music in the background yet?

So there is a dealership about 2 miles from my office, owned by a different guy than the one my neighbor used, and I set up for a co-worker to pick me up. On the morning of 10/25 I dropped the Jeep off with a description of all of my troubleshooting and a statement that I thought the master cylinder might be bad. I specifically stated that I would not accept merely bleeding the brakes and sending me off to stumble through the next 1000 or so miles hiding the real problem until my warranty ran out.

At the end of the first day, they called me and left a message confirming... get ready for it... my brakes didn't work! The confirmed that my brakes were bad, the linings looked good, they weren't leaking, and that the technician "observed a lift kit" and that "installing the new brake lines" meant they needed bleeding. Apparently the technician wasn't sharp enough to "observe original parts, with brake drop brackets" and figure out that the brake lines had never been disconnected. They demanded $150 to bleed the brakes before they would continue.

On day 2, After a lot of arguing, I relented and authorized the work, telling them that I had no intention of paying when this would lead inevitably to a new master cylinder. They bled the brakes and left me a message that there was some air in the rear, and amazingly... my brakes were still bad! On day 3 they opened a STAR ticket with Fiat Chrysler to "get permission" to change a master cylinder. 4 days later, they "got permission" and then had to order a cylinder. The next day it arrived, and was installed.

To my surprise at this point, the problem was not fixed. The brakes were "better" but still not right and still "random". I was scheduled to join in one of the Death Valley runs from this site, and had to cancel! I had planned a 4-day weekend from work, and decided just to work anyway. Lots of angry emoticons go here!

Back to FCA and another STAR ticket. On day 9, they were told that "sometimes changing the front left caliper fixes pressure problems" I cannot figure out why that would have anything to do with brake pressure, but... they ordered a caliper. 2 days later that was delivered, and the next week it was installed. I am now up to 14 days, and surprise... randomly changing a caliper didn't fix the problem. Yippee! Another STAR ticket. More than a week went by while they waited for a response from "STAR". All the while the service writer was claiming that "A Master Technician" and "Engineers from STAR" are "collaborating" to fix my Jeep. I happen to have gone to engineering school with quite a few guys that ended up in the auto industry, and those statements scare the heck out of me.

Somewhere along the way I pointed out that my brakes have always been sort of crappy, and I just thought that was how Jeeps were. The service writer said they sent the technician to drive another 2014 JKUR at another dealership and it was clear that my brakes were much worse!

On day 20 or 21 the service writer stopped returning my calls.

On day 22 he suggested that I file a complaint with Jeep Customer Care because my parts were on "backorder" as they tried to replace another master cylinder, and that might be what it took to move me up the priority chain.

On day 23 I did file that complaint. I wasn't cruel, but I did point out that I could have replaced an entire brake system in an afternoon.

Today was day 25, and he called and said that they were given permission to change the ABS control module, but it has to be ordered and might be in by Tuesday. I asked if they had checked the vacuum booster, and was told that he has no way of knowing what troubleshooting was done, but "Master Technicians" and "Engineers" are still "collaborating" on it.

My wife is getting tired of the grumpiness and moping around, and she is threatening to call this guy and raise trouble. I don't have anything personal against him, and wouldn't really wish that on anyone, but I'm starting to think about unleashing the war dogs...

So anyway... this is mostly about me having a cathartic moment and dumping my issues on strangers , but I am open to advice or commiseration.

Here is what I've learned:

1) I've been right to avoid dealerships like the plague, these people are idiots.
2) Don't waste money on extended warranties, these people are idiots.
3) Only go to large dealerships that stock parts, the rest are idiots.
4) These people are idiots.
5) Even though you could replace an entire brake system in an afternoon, these people are idiots.
6) Nobody gives a rip about customers, these people are idiots.
7) Nobody cares about your own stuff but you, especially the idiots.
8) Their process needs some serious adjustment... because... these people are idiots.

I wish I had just bought parts and invested a Saturday afternoon.

Right now, I'll be surprised if I get my Jeep back in less than 35 days.

These people are idiots.

As a former ASE Master tech at a non dealership shop I learned most dealerships just swap out parts from the parts department and hope for a fix. There are very few Master techs left at dealerships these days. We used to work on the new cars for the dealerships when they could not fix a problem by swaping parts. The good news is since you have an open ticket your Jeep will eventually be fix under warranty. The when part is now the unknown. And yes a lot of dealer techs are idiots. That is why I always diagnose the problem on my vehicles under warranty and inform them prior to having them fix it.

Happykamper

Explorer
You have a poorly ran dealership, which obviously does not have very good relationships with its manufacturer, manufacture reps or its customers for that matter.
In my sealer ships we employed the best ASE and Toyota Master techs. I paid them well and we worked well with our partners at the factory. The fact is on issues like yours the dealership should have had the attitude to take care of you first and figure out the rest later. Meaning get your rig fixed even if it meant losing money. It was always my attitude that you make money by taking care of the " Customer" first. Had the dealership done this you would have been happy and writing a whole different story about a dealership that took care of you first before looking for the factory money!
Find another Dealership if possible and publish there name so the thousands of EP forum members can steer clear of this poorly ran dealer.
Just my thoughts

unkamonkey

Explorer
You have a poorly ran dealership, which obviously does not have very good relationships with its manufacturer, manufacture reps or its customers for that matter.
In my sealer ships we employed the best ASE and Toyota Master techs. I paid them well and we worked well with our partners at the factory. The fact is on issues like yours the dealership should have had the attitude to take care of you first and figure out the rest later. Meaning get your rig fixed even if it meant losing money. It was always my attitude that you make money by taking care of the " Customer" first. Had the dealership done this you would have been happy and writing a whole different story about a dealership that took care of you first before looking for the factory money!
Find another Dealership if possible and publish there name so the thousands of EP forum members can steer clear of this poorly ran dealer.
Just my thoughts
If you take care of the people in the shop, they will take care of you. Our local Ford dealer was bought out by another dealer and within 2 months all of the good shop people bailed out.
Bad management.
Mike is on his 3rd Powerstroke now bought with extended service contracts. Problems on all 3.
Ford couldn't figure out the problems after 2 days so he went to a local diesel injection shop. It took them 20 minutes to figure out what it was.
Find a good shop.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I hate to hear that. :( About a month ago I couldn't get the rear locker to disengage on my Rubicon of my 14 JKRU. I just knew the dealer would find a reason not to warranty it but two phone calls and a day later I had my Jeep back. Everything works fine and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Fursphere

Observer
Take the nuclear option.

1) See if any of the media outlets (the ones that do consumer scam stories) has any interest in talking to you.
2) Keep complaining to corporate - and hit the corporate Jeep Facebook and / or twitter page. Let the whole world know how this dealership is treating you. And how you told them up front what you think the problem was, and how they appear to have done everything but actually look at that.
3) Post a bad yelp review (its surprising how many companies care about yelp)
4) There is probably something you can do with the better business bureau, but I've never had a lot of faith with them.
5) And lastly - California lemon law. If they can't fix it under warranty - they're required to buy it back. I've heard this can be an awful process to go through - but maybe just bringing it up with the dealership will get their butts in gear.

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Take the nuclear option.

1) See if any of the media outlets (the ones that do consumer scam stories) has any interest in talking to you.
2) Keep complaining to corporate - and hit the corporate Jeep Facebook and / or twitter page. Let the whole world know how this dealership is treating you. And how you told them up front what you think the problem was, and how they appear to have done everything but actually look at that.
3) Post a bad yelp review (its surprising how many companies care about yelp)
4) There is probably something you can do with the better business bureau, but I've never had a lot of faith with them.
5) And lastly - California lemon law. If they can't fix it under warranty - they're required to buy it back. I've heard this can be an awful process to go through - but maybe just bringing it up with the dealership will get their butts in gear.

First off as someone who has been through this process I will say this - It's a effing nightmare.

All car companies want is for you to buy their car after that you are on your on. Their corporate decision makers are not your friend when it goes south. Secondly re: tv, social media - car companies could give a flying ****** what you put on your "wall" or yelp or the nightly news. If you had some flavor of the moment sob story and you are a trans-gendered minority with 6 adopted children from war torn countries and the faulty car is your only way to the 3 jobs you work just to get by MAYBE you MIGHT get help. Otherwise you are wasting your time with things like that.

They already have your money or are getting your money monthly. You aren't going to sway their quarterly profit margins nor have any effect on how many cars are sold in your region. By the way, that last statement was told to me almost verbatim by a chevrolet district manager. They don't care and that's the truth. The way these people talk when they don't think anyone is listening is truly frightening. Also the BBB is a joke, if you are not aware of this do some research. They are bought and paid for by companies like the big three.

You have four options -

1) work it our at the dealer level with the input/assistance of a corporate liaison. Consider having another dealership take a look at the jeep. I'd conservatively say 7/10 techs are morons. They are just someone to have there in case you need an oil change or a set of tires. Don't ever assume they have super trained staff waiting to diagnose and repair your car. Major work is done by major idiots and in the end they are only allowed to do what those further of the food chain allow them to do. All dictated by the almighty dollar.

I won't bs you, this option is a straight up 50/50 shot. At this point if you are not keeping immaculate records of every date, time, spelling of full names and positions with whatever department or who you talk with you are behind. Save every scrap of paper for any work done to the vehicle etc. You should also be recording EVERY conversation no matter if it is in person, over the phone or something like skype etc. I can't even begin to tell you how many lies I caught people in and had I not been documenting the process I would have been screwed.

2) hire legal representation and make sure the firm has someone that has an established track record with buy backs, lemon law in your state etc. Just because you got a lawyer still does not mean you are going to win. Car companies will out wait and out spend you 5000/1 so again it's a crap shoot but getting a lawyer gets you legally sound advice. Not uncle joe on the internet that had a cousins brother deal with this. FYI - NO CAR COMPANY is "required" to buy back a car. That is bs. And car dealerships do not give two ****s if you "bring it up to them" or threaten them with yelp or facebook. They will simply tell you to GTFO and not come back. Just an example of why PAID legal advice is the best advice but be prepared to pay for it. Most lemon lawyers do not work on contingency and if they do they do read the fine print.

3) walk away from it. Get the thing patched up enough to get it traded in or sell it on your on. If you are really desperate and I would never recommend this you could just stop paying for it but that only screws you. And I will say this to anyone that might have a moral dilemma about trading in your problem car to get away from it. Dealerships do it every single day. They take cars back via buy back or as every day trade in's that have major issues and send them right on down the line through auctions in different states where buy backs and other issues are washed away via new paperwork a don't always follow a car on a car fax etc. This happened with the car that I had repurchased. I followed it via the VIN after the process was done to see if the issues were ever documented through car fax or similar reporting agencies. Nope, not a damn thing with why that car ended up being bought back with less than 3k on the clock is in the system. Scary as the reasons were very much safety related and could kill someone. In fact I was told my car would be crushed. It ended up at an auction in a bordering state and was bought by a smaller car company who has since sold it to a person that has no clue of the history.

4) FIDYS. If you are good with the vehicle as a whole, find an old school area mechanic who is well respected and knows their ****. Yeah you will have to suck it up and take the out of pocket hit but at least you will know it's fixed or find out what the solution is an do it yourself.

If I can answer any questions I will try, just pm me. Best of luck OP.

Septu

Explorer
Here is what I've learned:

1) I've been right to avoid dealerships like the plague, these people are idiots.
2) Don't waste money on extended warranties, these people are idiots.
3) Only go to large dealerships that stock parts, the rest are idiots.
4) These people are idiots.
5) Even though you could replace an entire brake system in an afternoon, these people are idiots.
6) Nobody gives a rip about customers, these people are idiots.
7) Nobody cares about your own stuff but you, especially the idiots.
8) Their process needs some serious adjustment... because... these people are idiots.

I wish I had just bought parts and invested a Saturday afternoon.

Right now, I'll be surprised if I get my Jeep back in less than 35 days.

These people are idiots.

1) Some are, some aren't. Unfortunately you don't get to figure that out without much pain.
2) My extended warranty got me a brand new engine. Not to mention all sort of other wear and tear things replaced. So far I'm well ahead of what I paid for my warranty, and am only half way though it.
3) Has little to do with the size. You may have to wait for parts, but I'd rather wait if that meant having a good tech look at it. Some are great... others are ****.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thank you for the overall advice and good wishes.

My issue is that this problem isn't really a problem that should require major diagnosis. I was genuinely surprised when the new master cylinder didn't fix it.

There are only 2 places in a brake system where fluid could recirculate, and only 4 rubber lines. I don't understand how this takes 4 weeks to troubleshoot and why they have to get permission from FCA every time they troubleshoot something. I could have gotten this all done in an afternoon with $500 in parts and a six pack.

I realize that most "technicians" are just module swappers... all I really need is a module swapped... thus this should be easy. They have tried to blame my lift kit at least 3 times, and I'm ready to go to war on that one. Brake lines were never opened or stretched or disturbed, and if a caliper hose was bad, it should be very obvious.

I own other lemon law buy back cars, and they have been very good investments. I'm not looking for buy back of this one, I just want to drive it again!

I might have to turn my wife loose on them. She is an attorney, and flips the crazy switch so fast that I've had service writers call me and ask me to talk sense into her when problems come up with her car... fun times.

Anyway, avoid the CDJR place in Selma, CA. I think they have issues beyond the normal dealership trouble.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I will second that with

You're married to an attorney and you're asking people online (the worst place on earth for legal advice) for legal advice?

Hmmm... I'm not sure I ever asked for legal advice... But the point is taken none the less. I suspect the "attorney" attitude gets a lot more spit in your food than any productive result. This post was more about venting frustration than anything else.

As several here have mentioned, Fiat doesn't really give 2 fat turds about servicing the product, and they certainly aren't selling any less Jeeps due to this post. I won't ever need to see them again once they fix this issue, and really, this isn't a huge issue, other than the ridiculous process involved. I initially thought all of the dealership issues in my town stemmed from common ownership of the two main CDJR dealers... Now I see a little more that it is driven by a really crappy corporate process as well. I SPECIFICALLY checked that this dealership was under separate ownership before going there. All yelp and other reviews were bout car buying only. They might just pick up a review about service soon too.

I think my next step is talking to the general manager or owner. We will see. The latest was that they would change an ABS module tomorrow and maybe get me back on the road.

Chili

Explorer
I have been a 'car guy' for a long time, and have a lot of 'car guy' friends. Many of those friends started careers as mechanics at new car dealerships. Of over a dozen people I know that used to work at dealerships, none still do. Some got out of the business all together, but the good mechanics either opened their own place, only do side work, or work at performance shops. The main reason is the pay.. Most dealerships now only pay based on flag rate, no salaries or hourly pay, so mechanics only get paid when there is work in the shop. On top of that, the pay for warranty work is absolute crap, for the most part. So in many cases, the mechanic looking at that PITA warranty vehicle is getting paid crap to diagnose and fix it.

It's really unfortunate, especially since the modern dealership model expects the service department to 'pay' for all of the dealership's expenses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman