My Journey

Yes I was there (2) years ago and stayed in Cumberland, Maryland again last night.

Yesterday I got onto Interstate 81 but I just wasn't feeling like traveling on an interstate. I soon was off the interstate and onto Maryland State Route 56 headed for the C & O Canal. We wasted the afternoon away hiking along the canal and the dogs took their first swim on the trip. That evening we pulled into Cumberland looking for the YMCA and a hot shower and shave but when it became apparent that parking this rig would be an issue, we moved to the suburbs and the parking lot of the local Walmart. Last night I bathed and shaved in the camper sink which is just fine, but not great.

A storm passed through last night and the weather here is phenomenal !

2 dogs and a bum......

image.jpg

Getting off the interstates......

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know.....I thought this big railroad bridge across the canal was kinda cool......

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sure if it's "the" bridge but it is a bridge that crosses the river. I don't know the area.

Yesterday I was able to get in about (150) miles and we ended the day near Wheeling, West Virginia. Except for 2012, my trips seem to start out slow.....I guess I'm like a snowball rolling down a mountain so to speak. But I enjoy myself as we make plenty of stops along the road "exploring" the world. I'm sure plenty of people would question how I could call this exploring, but for me just being able to wake up somewhere different, sleeping in my camper, or rolling down the highway, they all fit into the definition of "exploring". Heck, when I was kid growing up on a farm, just going into the forest down to the creek was "exploring".

A card some friends gave me last week......

image.jpg

Yesterday we continued northwest cutting across southern and central Ohio traveling mostly on back country roads. Ohio really is a beautiful state and the farms are just outstanding. Last night we pulled into Ashland, Ohio and spent the night at the local Walmart. Today we will continue to push north and west. The weather continues to be remarkable and the forecast is looking good as well.

A common site in this area.....

image.jpg

The Walmart has a pole barn to keep the horses out of the bad weather. Last night there were (2) carriages parked in there.....

image.jpg

Continued north and west and on the back roads of northern Ohio really enjoying the slower pace through the rolling hills. At one point I was surprised to see that they had closed the road....no warnings beforehand and no detour signs. I guess mostly the road is used by locals or informed motorists.

image.jpg

We figured out an alternative route and arrived in Port Clinton on Lake Erie. I unhooked the Jeep and left the camper behind for a day of sightseeing along the shores of Lake Erie. Not much happening here unless you own a motorboat but the dogs got some swimming in and we visited the Marblehead Lighthouse.

image.jpg

image.jpg

For the people that know me, they'll understand it when I say Montana has my same obsession with collecting stones.

image.jpg

In the evening we cooked up an excellent stir fry (I was inspired by Beemerchef and some of his writings on Expedition Portal). Ended the day with a long walk.....

Up at 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning to the sound of rain. Well that's a sound that's so relaxing as hits the roof of the camper. Next time I woke up it was 9:00 a.m. No need to hurry with the rain so I got out my needle and thread and worked on my favorite jeans. The rains ceased and as lunch time neared we pulled out and drove west on Route 20. I decided to make a stop at Ottawa National Wildlife Preserve on the southern shores of Lake Erie. We hiked all over that place, several miles of boardwalks through the marshes, along the Lake Erie beach, and through the forests. This a birders paradise and while I'm not a birder I sure did enjoy the tranquil environment. In the evening we drove west and stayed in Angola, Indiana. Continuing west today...

These are fake otherwise it would be an awesome picture.....

image.jpg

These are real but the baby geese sure are cute.....

image.jpg

Lake Erie shoreline.....

image.jpg

Along a trail......

image.jpg

So my revised route through Indiana is looking like a good plan. As it turns out Route 2 goes directly through Elkhart which I've just learned is where 80% of RV's are constructed. Therefore there are plenty of repair shops and I was able to make a call yesterday early morning and was in Master Tech RV's shop by 11:00 a.m. Within (15) minutes the technician diagnosed the problem with my generator, a loose wire. These guys are really good so I've decided to hang out here and get them to repair the problem with the truck's alternator not charging the camper batteries when in transit. They're swamped with massive coaches so they're trying to fit me in. Hopefully it'll happen today. But it's not bad since they provide a free campsite with electric, water, wifi, and a lobby with a flat screen TV. My guess is I'll be here another night which is fine by me.

Yet one more picture of my rig in the shop.......

image.jpg

Last edited:
They repaired the camper the following day but it was late so we stayed one more night in Elkhart. The following morning after the first shower of the trip, we were back on Route 20 headed west. Intermittent rain throughout the day was a pain but we finally got through Chicago. Not much past Chicago we called it a day at another Walmart. Today was totally uneventful and we passed through Illinois, crossed the Mississppi River into Iowa (stayed on secondary roads all day) and we're now in Clinton, Iowa for the night. We did have enough time today to enjoy walking along the River and taking in some sights.

I'm thinking I need to pick up the pace a bit now. (12) days since leaving home and not far from home. I do have plans.....

Route 30 bridge across the Mississippi River....

image.jpg

And a tug pushing a barge up the Mississippi River.....

image.jpg

Continuing to slowly move west on the back roads. The days are spent driving and checking out small towns along the way. I found that people this year are staying to themselves so far so I haven't met many interesting people. People have been friendly but certainly not engaging. That typically changes when I get to the Rockies. I arrived in South Dakota last night driving through many violent storms. It continued through the night, lightning, thunder, high winds.....made sleep difficult last night in the camper. Woke up late to beautiful skies and cool temperatures.

2 weeks on the road and feeling a longing for home. It's Father's Day so that's not helping. I'm sure it will pass.

The picture below is a composite of Iowa.....a random tree, miles of farmland, and a farmhouse with the adjacent barns......

image.jpg

A view of last night's storm from the camper.....

image.jpg

XPEDBC

Adventurer
Glad to see you're back on the road! It's hard not to keep reading... I think you should spend some more time north of the 49th this trip!

Thanks ! That's the plan this year. I hope it works out for me. This was a license plate of mine in 1978. I put it on the back of my camper before I left home to motivate me. It's my 2014 goal to make it to the Arctic Ocean.

image.jpg

So yesterday was an odd day for me. We didn't leave Sioux Falls until noon so I decided to get onto Interstate 90. But what was odd was the way the interstate transformed me. I didn't realize it until after the fact, but I went from someone that was just poking along across America, to someone that was trying to get some miles in. I drove over (300) miles yesterday and we landed at Cabela's in Rapid City, South Dakota. Maybe it was the interstate, maybe it was the excitement of seeing the mountains of southwest South Dakota.....who knows.....ha ! Who cares ? Oh, crossing the Missouri River yesterday was amazing ! I grabbed a couple of quick shots.....I think I may have missed most of the amazing part.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I was finally able to get off the roads and actually have some fun. Even though I'm moving slowly, it's still too much driving.

After a peaceful night at Cabela's, we ran a few errands in Rapid City and then we left for Black Hills National Forest. Our first stop was at Pactola Reservoir so the pups could get in a well deserved swim. Next on the agenda was to get some climbing in. Scruton Mountain (5,922') was the perfect starter mountain for the three of us. Got to admit for a (3) mile hike, we all struggled a bit. We returned to the reservoir so I could grab a shower before calling it a day.

image.jpg

The next day was all about more hiking and doing some off roading in the Jeep. We climbed Odakota Mountain (7,210') and Bear Mountain (7,166'). We seemed to do much better which got me to thinking that it was just the elevation that held us down on day one. As far as off roading goes, we got in (20)+ miles and what a blast we had. There's some great trails up there. And great scenery as well. It was a busy day and rain and hail moved in for the evening but we were tired and unaffected. It brings me so much pleasure to be back in the woods and enjoying the solitude.

I didn't even think of chopping up this one. We found a way around it.

image.jpg

With all the rain, there were plenty of good mud holes.

image.jpg

The dogs were in heaven ! They love traveling but they're just like me. You have to get out and play a little !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This morning we drove to Custard State Park and hiked up to the summit of our fourth peak, Sylvan Peak (7,000'). This one was probably my favorite due to the numerous crags. At one point Yukon found herself trapped and I rescued her after hearing her whimpering in the distance. We returned to the camper, ate lunch, relaxed and finally left for Gilette, Wyoming, which is where I'm posting from.

Last edited:
So this is just a quick story about a cobbler I met today in Newcastle, Wyoming. I'm taking the time to write this because I think it's rare to see people like this anymore. Remember those blue jeans I mended ? Well it lasted one time. So today as I'm driving through this little town I see a sign that reads "Overalls Mended Here" or something like that. I thought about my favorite old blue jeans and how much I'd like to get them mended properly. So I stopped in and this fella patched them right then and only charged me $10. Now we talked quite a bit and got along just fine. So finally I leave and I'm outside playing with the dogs behind his building. Must have been (5) or (10) minutes and he comes out and says "you know I think I could have done a better job for you. If you've got the time I'd like to have another look". Well of course I had the time. Now I know I'm somebody he'll never see again but look what he did for me. I don't know, maybe it's me....

Black Hills Boot, Tarp, & Zipper Repair

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12