My Journey

Yesterday was a day spent enjoying and getting to know Los Barriles. As I've said we're camped about a mile south of town so when we decided to explore the place, we jumped in the Jeep and headed back north up Mex 1. As you approach town, the highway sits several hundred feet above the town, giving you excellent views of the town, the beach, and the mountains to the west. I stopped to photograph this church which had amazing views of the Sea of Cortez.....

IMG_3977.jpg

Below is this large resort. There's plenty of these types of resorts here, as were only 45 minutes from the international airport......

IMG_3973.jpg

I've had great cell and internet service since arriving in Mexico. There's been a few spots without, but it rivals Verizon without a doubt. The cell towers in Los Barriles are made (somewhat) to look like palm trees, although much taller than any other tree here.....

IMG_3989.jpg

The streets here are typical narrow streets lined with a few street vendors, merchants, dwellings, and what not.....

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

Somehow I've become buds with this particular street vendor by the name of Jose and his daughter. I felt compelled to purchase a bag of oranges from him since we chatted so much. I don't know.....they seem like good, hard working people and quiet friendly.....

IMG_3985.jpg

This family has a small store along the Main Street into town. Her husband makes the most incredible hammocks.....as much as 10 days to create just one. Of course I liked the most beautiful one, priced at $250 US. For this Gringo, that's a bit pricey.....

IMG_3979.jpg

The evening sky looking down on Los Barriles from Mex 1.....

IMG_4031.jpg

Another day.....another mug of coffee.....another sunrise.....

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4053.jpg

Last edited:
Yep JD.....if you need any additional information prior to departure just PM me.....

More sunrises on the Sea of Cortez.....

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

A friend of mine from Montana has been talking with me for quite some time about doing some traveling with me and I finally gave in and agreed to it. I enjoy my solitude but sometimes I guess it's nice to have someone along to share with. So yesterday we drove south on Mex 1 to San Jose de Los Cabos International Airport and picked my up my friend.....

IMG_4062.jpg

Now, I had mentioned that I thought I'd resolved my Tourist Permit issue and it was here that I'd be tested. Several days ago I bought a round trip ticket to Chicago, the idea being that I'd fly there Monday night and return Tuesday morning, and I'd get the permit when I went through customs. As I said, I'd heard others had done it, so I hoped for the best. Since I was at the airport I decided to speak with an immigration agent, and once I showed him I had a plane ticket, he agreed to give me the permit for $30. What a huge relief it was.....I am now here legally.....

So once my friend arrived, we were off to celebrate with some good Mexican food and bottles of Coca Cola. It was great not to dine alone again. So far it's been an excellent idea.....

IMG_4064.jpg

Our next stop after our meal was at the Tropic of Capricorn Exhibit.....

IMG_4068.jpg

Then it was back to the campground where we spent the remainder of the day chillin at the beach with the dogs. We saw this unusual sign and I can't imagine why this sign is posted on the beach.....

IMG_4056.jpg

Now we're discussing when to leave Los Barriles.....I'm surprised how much I like it here, actually surprised at how much I love it here. It's the perfect little Mexican village to chill in.....

IMG_4095.jpg

Last edited:
But then how can you leave with a weather forecast like this.....

IMG_4178.jpg

And so it was another day in paradise.....

IMG_4014.jpg

Kitesurfing is huge here. These guys line the beaches, I hear that it's a blast.....

IMG_4024.jpg

I finally got the kayak out and wondered why it took me so long. It was fantastic.....

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

The water is crystal clear and you can see the tropical fish from above. It's pretty cool and it's making me think it's time to get the snorkel gear out. Last night I checked on a dive boat. Since it's been quite sometime since I've dove, they said that I'd need a refresher course, $150, then $200 for 2 dives. Honestly I've never been a fan of warm water diving, so I'll probably pass and stick with the snorkeling and kayaking.....

IMG_4113.jpg

I've kayaked through schools of flying fish, and the sea rays are jumping everywhere. It's really amazing to see them jump 3 to 4 feet into the air......

The campground here in Los Barriles has been perfect.....

IMG_3971.jpg

I've thought a lot about the pros and cons of campgrounds versus wild camping. I've yet to wild camp in Mexico and I'm alright with that. The owner (Jorge) of this campground, BajaSunrise, has told me several times now how appreciative he is that I'm staying here. These guys need our dollars and honestly it makes me feel good to help out. Jorge says it's important that we support the locals.....I agree completely.....

Micmac

Just checked out your blog. It's been a couple of months since I checked in. We are under a winter storm watch 8-12 inches of snow expected. so enjoy that weather!!

The calm weather the past few days has had an effect on the amazing sunrises. There's just not the clouds out there that make for the best sunrises. Don't get me wrong though, as they're still quite beautiful.....

IMG_4147.jpg

The picture below probably gives you an idea of what we were up to for most of yesterday. We were either in the kayaks paddling and exploring the coastline, or we were snorkeling from the shoreline.....

IMG_4191.jpg

Another resort picture taken from the kayak.....

IMG_4149.jpg

I was on the water with the sunrise. Fishermen in small boats were up early as well. They throw nets into the sea.....

IMG_4174.jpg

It appears that they're netting bait fish for the larger boats that head out into the sea for a day of salt water fishing.....

IMG_4158.jpg

Sea rays randomly surface all morning. It's incredibly difficult to actually photograph one. I wonder what causes them to jump from the sea.....are they feeding or is there larger prey pursuing them.....

IMG_4175.jpg

In the afternoon we visited the local Saturday market. I picked up some locally made freshly baked bread and a jar of Mango jelly. What a great afternoon snack that was with a cup of bold, black coffee.....

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

As the full moon rose, we discussed what a grand idea it would be to paddle under the moon light. Shortly thereafter we drug the boats to the beach and launched. It was an incredible experience to glide across the moon lit waters.....

IMG_4218.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

Hey Ed.....a foot of snow in March.....ugh, that's got to suck. Good to hear from you.....

Last edited:
Yesterday we once again found ourselves in the Jeep as we drove north on Mex 1 with the small village of El Triunfo in our sights. One of the merchants from the Saturday market had told me that there'd be a much larger market in El Triunfo on Sunday. So it was by 9:00 a.m. that we were back on the winding mountain roads to El Triunfo. Our first stop of the day was for the goats crossing the highway.....

IMG_4242.jpg

We passed through San Antonio, this being my second time through there, and once again I thought that I need to visit here. But we continued on to the market. There were some great views from the mountains to the sea and we made a few stops to take it all in.....

IMG_4355.jpg

As we drove into El Triunfo I remembered passing through here last week and had wished I'd stopped then, but I was still rattled from the incident in La Paz and I wanted to move on. I was so happy to see that the market was in that same village. As we entered the market we realized that this was way more, and it turned out to be the village's annual festival. We'd hit a home run I thought.....

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

So much food to be had, so many vendors, so many artists.....this place was simply amazing. And then there was the village itself which was as picturesque as any Latin village I've ever visited.....

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

Most of the streets in the village were constructed from stone. It gave it such an amazing, almost fairlytale like feel to it.....

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

The village square was filled with kids in their scout uniforms.....

IMG_4273.jpg

And later in the day there were performances by many singers and teams of dancers. It was certainly a way to make a perfect day even better. They were all very talented and we loved every second.....

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

As I always like to do, we walked from the center of the village to a few of the outlying areas.....

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg

We arrived at the village church just as mass was beginning. It was pretty cool with the bells ringing....

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

Last edited:
There was still plenty of daylight left when we left El Triunfo, so I decided that I'd make that stop in San Antonio, as we won't be making it this way again. It was a quiet day in the village, a few horses walking the streets chowing on the sparse clumps of grass, and a few villagers making their way through town.....not much more than that.....

IMG_4358.jpg

Plenty of picturesque buildings in San Antonio.....

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg

We stopped at the Catholic Church.....

IMG_4390.jpg

We returned to Los Barriles for dinner. Not many choices here on a Sunday night.....

IMG_4395.jpg

Last night's full moon rising over the Sea of Cortez.....well, yes, magical once again, pictures that I take can do it no justice.....

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

Bad *ss motorcycle I saw in El Triunfo.....

IMG_4342.jpg

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
There was still plenty of daylight left when we left El Triunfo, so I decided that I'd make that stop in San Antonio, as we won't be making it this way again. It was a quiet day in the village, a few horses walking the streets chowing on the sparse clumps of grass, and a few villagers making their way through town.....not much more than that.....

View attachment 390953

Plenty of picturesque buildings in San Antonio.....

View attachment 390965

View attachment 390954

View attachment 390955

We stopped at the Catholic Church.....

View attachment 390959

We returned to Los Barriles for dinner. Not many choices here on a Sunday night.....

View attachment 390960

Last night's full moon rising over the Sea of Cortez.....well, yes, magical once again, pictures that I take can do it no justice.....

View attachment 390961

View attachment 390962

Bad *ss motorcycle I saw in El Triunfo.....

View attachment 390963

Great photos and commentary, Jerry! Love the photo of the GS and old truck! Be safe out there!

Thank you.....

We decided that Monday would be our last day here. As much as I like it here, I'm sure there's plenty more to see. So we hung around Los Barriles.....kayaking, snorkeling, and long walks kept us busy.....

Random pics of a day in Los Barriles, Mexico.....

IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

.....our last sunset over Los Barriles, Mexico.....

IMG_4572.jpg

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thank you.....

We decided that Monday would be our last day here. As much as I like it here, I'm sure there's plenty more to see. So we hung around Los Barriles.....kayaking, snorkeling, and long walks kept us busy.....

Random pics of a day in Los Barriles, Mexico.....

View attachment 391165

View attachment 391156

View attachment 391157

View attachment 391158

View attachment 391159

View attachment 391160

View attachment 391161

View attachment 391162

View attachment 391163

.....our last sunset over Los Barriles, Mexico.....

View attachment 391164

You'll can always come back :)

And remember to get your tourism permit beforehand ;)

Los Barriles is a great little town, hope it stays that way. That area was one of Hemingway's favorite places for fishing, probably a lot different back in his day.

Next to the Hotel Playa Del Sol on the beach side, there was a big mural of an eskimo driving a dog sled down the beach "Alaskan in Baja". Always laughed at it, will have to see if I can find a picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan