My Journey

Thanks Johnny and sure I'd like to meet you Park. I have a feeling we'd get along just fine.

I missed the 10 a.m. goal by an hour but really who cares. I have to admit it was tough leaving the place. I've got so much work into this place.

View attachment 292613

We made it to Morgantown WVA last night. Our only excitement was me calling the state police on a guy. He was traveling with his dog in the back of a U Haul truck with no ventilation. I felt bad calling the police but I felt worse for the dog. I sure hope they got him.

Last night we slept at the Walmart. Took a long walk and watched some semi pro baseball from outside the fence. Too cheap to pay and my buddies weren't welcome inside the park.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I saw this amazing Jeep. It had everything but mud !

image.jpg

image.jpg

We hit the sack early (10 pm) with a good book (Four Against The Artic by David Roberts.....great writer). Loved my first night without the distraction of a TV. Slept great until a storm blew through and woke up with the cold rain blowing onto my face. Life is good on the road.....

Last edited:
Hey Brad.....I got your email and coffee sounds like a fantastic idea. It's looking like I'll be coming your way. I think I ditched the idea of cross country Canada.

crzymud14......thanks. Glad to have you "following" me.

Yesterday was an uneventful day.....no calls to the state police or national guard. We got in about (300) miles and stopped in Richmond, Indiana where we spent the night in the rear parking lot of a Walmart. Thanks to Sam Walton.....what a visionary that man was. Here's a picture of what I thought was a great spot for undisturbed sleep.

image.jpg

As usual we went for a long walk in the evening. Now my good buddy (the guy that gives me a 25 % chance of making it to Alaska) was born and raised in Indiana. So we often banter about how boring that state is and how it has nothing to offer. Well last night I had to eat my words. This is the largest bowling pin I've ever seen. Indiana should be every traveler's destination !

image.jpg

And everybody loves sunset pictures. Check out this Indiana sunset over the Walmart store.

image.jpg

Well I sure hope I don't get a speeding ticket today as I try to cross Indiana as quickly as I can. I've seen enough of this place. I hope my good buddy can enjoy today's post as much as I did......

Why such a hurry to ditch Indiana? According to Roadside America, Indiana is home to Orville Redenbacher the king of popcorn, the world's largest ball of paint, a giant lady's leg sundial, and the Dan Quayle vice presidential museum, amongst other attractions. There's a lot you're missing out on, Jerry.

INVALredenbacher_alexander1.jpg

INALEballpaint08.jpg

INLAKsundialleg4_0716.jpg

INHUNquayle_limits.jpg

INHUNquayle18_plaque.jpg

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/in

Made it to Galesburg, Illinois last night....(300) plus mile day. GPS tells me that we've traveled approximately (841) miles in our first three days of travel. It also tells me that I've got (3,055) miles to Deadhorse, Alaska. Weather continues to be fantastic and the rig is performing flawlessly.

Hanging in the storm sewers.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Pretty cool Army rig.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg

Different day.....different Walmart. So yesterday was our longest day of the trip. We traveled approximately (400) miles as we crossed Iowa and spent the night in Sioux City, Iowa. It took us about (12) hours which included plenty of random stops along the way. I always love the western side of Iowa. That's just some beautiful land. We actually got off the interstate for the last half of the day. Of course traffic is picking up with the upcoming holiday so my thinking this morning is to cross South Dakota today and then take a few days off and camp in the national forest.....possibly Black Hills.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I have two visitors in my yard now and both vehicles (a trailer and a camper) have a dog with them. We managed to talk about dogs for several hours. Several dog scratches were involved.

Nice of you to host host some travelers but I'm hoping they're not Rainbow Children. I googled these guys last night and in my opinion they're a bunch of trouble makers. I base that statement on what they do in the national forest and what it cost to monitor these knuckleheads. It looks as though the Lakota tribe may attack this weekend. What a mess !

So yesterday was a good day on the road......although not a high mileage day......less than (200) miles. We got a late start, hit the interstate for (30) miles north, then headed west on state roads. We made our first stop in Yankton, S.D. to load up on groceries since the plan was to hole up for three days. Next stop was in Tyndall, S.D. We hung out at the local park watching a girl's fast pitch softball tournament. The people were so kind here.....I just love it when people treat us (strangers) this way. I got a free hot shower and ate hot dogs at the lunch counter. The ladies loved the dogs so they had free hot dogs.

image.jpg

Out next stop was at the Missouri River and the Fort Randall Dam. The dogs got some swimming in and we tried to camp here but it was booked solid. They offered us overflow camping on the side of the road for nearly $20. We moved down the highway.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We continued west on 18 and stopped in Gregory, S.D. where I found a spot in the back of a Sinclair service station. Lots of holiday activities kept us busy last night. We hung out at the carnival where my dogs constantly cleaned the streets from all the foods that the kids dropped. Turned out to be a great little town. I'll miss the parade and all the other activities planned for today. But I'd prefer to be in the mountains......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Bob......I appreciate the offer but I plan to be north of Cody. I'm very focused on making it to Alaska this year. I missed Brad as well yesterday. Maybe on the way back or even better Valdez and you can give me a tour of your ship. That would be amazing !

So Brad suggested I take Route 44 across South Dakota so I thought what the heck. I enjoy the back roads and he was right that the scenery was great. As I progressed west the hills became steeper and temperatures hit 95 degrees so I opted out and got back on the interstate. Once on the interstate we took a quick break at Wall Drug. I've never stopped here before and never will again. What a tourist trap !

image.jpg

We made it to Sturgis in the evening and then headed south into Black Hills National Forest. I found myself a spot on a creek and we set up camp. It was perfect ! No Walmart and no fireworks. I couldn't have been more pleased ! Long walks last night and this morning, then a quick dip in the freezing cold creek.

image.jpg

I talked to several groups of guys along the creek panning for gold. One guy says he does quite well here.

image.jpg

Anyhow it's time to roll. GPS says I'm one third of the way to Deadhorse, Alaska......

Last edited:

2wheelbob

Adventurer
I'll be following your posts! If we can make it happen, I'd be honored to show you around the ship if we're in Valdez at the same time. Safe travels my friend! Give the dogs some love from us. :)

Bob....that would be great. I hope it becomes a reality. My guess is that I'm in that area mid August. Thank you and take care......

Yesterday was not our best day of travel. Once we finally got onto the interstate the winds really picked up. We entered Wyoming and they were strong enough that it was blowing the rig around pretty good. We stopped in Gilette for lunch in the camper, chatted a little with Brad (my South Dakota buddy) and then it was back on the highway. As the winds settled the rain moved in and the temperatures began dropping. In (24) hours it went from (95) to (54). If you follow my travels you know driving in the rain usually ends my day. We pulled into Buffalo, Wyoming, had dinner at the local Pizza Hut and called it a day......

I only have this one picture to post today. Honestly I think it may be my favorite travel picture ever......well, I mean that I've taken. When this guy passed me I burst out laughing out loud. He was doing at least (70) mph down the interstate. This picture should be worthy of an award ! 💰

image.jpg

ClayH

Adventurer
Glad your traveling and posting again. I really enjoy living vicariously through your thread. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman