My Journey

jason77

Adventurer
You might be able to insure the camper damage through your truck insurance, since it is "permanently affixed" to the truck via clamps/bolts.

So here's the latest news on the fire and a few more pictures for my journal. My homeowner's policy has a clause which will cover a portion of the value of the camper and the contents of the camper. At this point I'm not sure what I'll be getting but something is better than nothing. The claim has been filed. I also filed a claim for the truck since it also sustained some damage. I took the camper to the landfill and unloaded it. It was pretty difficult to watch but a front end loader pushed it over onto it's side, then pushed it into the pile of trash, and lastly, drove over it and smashed into pieces of nothing. Really, really difficult sight to see.....

I very much appreciate everyone's kind comments regarding my latest loss.....

Furbucket.....I loved that idea and I've now got (2) rear windows and a door as treasured keepsakes. Thank you.....

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7163.jpg

Last edited:

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Yeah, the fridge has to be level most of the time when you use them, otherwise, they'll heat up too much and poof. And, the gas absorption refrigerator coils in the back, with moisture from humidity, and usage, will eventually corrode the pipes, leaking ammonia and other gases. Dometic had a recall on many RV refrigerators, and installed a shut-off device (a circuit board and thermo-probe) if the coils get too hot. Unfortunately, that same moisture will and can ruin the circuit board they install! I have that problem in our RV.

furbucket

Observer
Glad you saved the best bits.
Not that I know you personally- but anyone with so much love for our furry four legged friends has to have a pile of good karma built up- I'm sure you'll come out of this alright and be back on the road in something new.

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

Jim Oaks

Observer
Man Jerry!

It's said that God never gives us more than we can handle. I also believe he can disrupt our life because he's trying to get our attention. You lost an old friend, but adopted a wonderful new one to share new memories. Likewise, I'm sure you'll end up with a camper you'll grow to love even more than that one. The important thing is that nobody was hurt.

Fires like this scare me. I see to many news report about RV fires. I personally don't like using the propane feature on my camper fridge, and don't like to travel with the propane tanks on. This makes me want to pull the inspection cover off the side of my camper and inspect the back of my fridge. As if I knew what I was looking for...lol

unkamonkey

Explorer
Gawd , tough to look at what you are going through. I had to replace the entire back unit on my Dometic 3 way fridge in the middle of the summer a few years ago after everything leaked out and the camper reeked of ammonia. On the other hand I can walk across the street and have 7 or 8 furry friends to scratch right now. It depends on if the neighbors Red Heeler wanders over.

The camper was parked on a level spot and the propane was turned off at the time of the fire. It had just come out of storage that day although I had stopped at a propane facility on the way home and I had the propane tanks filled. Oddly enough I asked the guy to check the tanks and a few of the fittings for leaks as my tanks needed to be updated. That being said, the fire had nothing to do with propane. It was without a doubt the coils on the refrigerator that leaked and caused the fire.....

It may be awhile before I'm able to replace my rig unfortunately. It's a cash flow thing. So now it's one and two day trips in the mountains.....

A few pictures from Thursday night sleeping up high.....

IMG_7206.jpg

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

IMG_7228.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Nice to know that I am driving around with a potential fire bomb back there. But you and the dogs came through it well enough so life can go on. Yukon looks a lot like my neighbors Yellow Lab. A true dingbat dog but she was loveable.

FR 980 Gallatin National Forest

Thanks Ace.....

We were back out this weekend exploring Forest Service roads and spending another night under the stars. With it being a nearly full dark sky, the Montana night did not disappoint once again. So many stars to gaze out at as we lay in the bed of the truck.....

The wilderness, a few dogs, a good book, ice cold water, a camp fire, stars, solitude.....this is where I find my peace now.....

IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7257.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

IMG_7277.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Yep, I have several women that want me to type out my dog tales. The problem is getting all of them in the correct order. I remember all of the details They mostly center around my Black Lab.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Your new golden sure looks good. Here's my favorite shot of my last one, Kyla.
667550876e12327518c9fcafa1699b91.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman