My Journey

jadmt

ignore button user
I am sure it is posted here and I tried to find it but what drivetrain do you have in your truck? and what are you getting for MPG loaded like you are? thanks

tgil

I'm really surprised they didn't just give you a shirt? Your updates and the history of your journey are what brings me to this site, multiple times on most days. Funny about Yukon and big game. Scout is fascinated by cows. She paces back and forth between passenger and driver side windows when we are anywhere that looks like there might be a cow. When she sees them she really gets excited and starts whining. Recently she has seen deer and they have the same affect!

jadmt

ignore button user
I know it does not have to be said but don't let your dogs chase game. There have been plenty of dogs shot right in front of the owners for chasing game. Neighbor has ranch land and is an ass and he has shot dogs and point blank told my other neighbor if he sees their dog chasing anything on his property he will shoot it and they are neighbors. I keep my dog on a leash when anywhere near that **************** property.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I know it does not have to be said but don't let your dogs chase game. There have been plenty of dogs shot right in front of the owners for chasing game. Neighbor has ranch land and is an ass and he has shot dogs and point blank told my other neighbor if he sees their dog chasing anything on his property he will shoot it and they are neighbors. I keep my dog on a leash when anywhere near that **************** property.

Same with chasing cattle. Cowboys and ranchers will not hesitate to shoot your dog. I also remember when a park ranger shot a dog right in front of a bunch of campers including women and children. Then he drove off and left it lying there. He had been told it was aggressive but it wasn’t. It was just lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks! I got a kick out of it myself.

I know Jerry and his pups are well in hand, always being respectful and behaved.

Growing up with livestock, I depended on the income from them to stay afloat. It can be nasty when dogs, or even coyote get into them.

Sent from somewhere remote on my BlackBerry

ITTOG

I am sure it is posted here and I tried to find it but what drivetrain do you have in your truck? and what are you getting for MPG loaded like you are? thanks
Below is what Jerry told me about this time last year. I wonder if he is used to the Ford now. Jerry, I bought a f150 and my research shows Ford had overstated by about 0.5 to 1.5 mpg.

ITTOG.....I'm happy that you, and others, enjoy the pictures and my writings, as I've come to enjoy putting the story together. As you might realize I've certainly got the free time on my hands. Regarding my F350, I don't dislike the truck but I think my 2500HD was more durable. Plus I had that truck since December 2004 so it's what I knew. Hopefully one day I'll feel the same about this one. The truck tells me that I'm getting 12.7 miles to the gallon but I've read on XP that you can't trust that. I've never measured it myself. It's the 6.7 liter turbo 440 horsepower V8 Powerstroke Diesel.....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Arjan.....they probably wished that I couldn't either.....

jadmt.....the truck is 4 wheel drive. When I purchased the truck I asked the dealership to remove the identifying stickers on the sides of the truck bed (which might be thought of as odd since I talk about being a sticker guy.....go figure).....

tgil.....I was thrilled to get a free magazine. Now I don't have to stop at Barnes and Noble to read the articles that interest me.....

PNWY.....I liked it kind of but I swear they're just overpriced (compared to the Northern Lite).....

Ace.....yep, it's become a crowded space.....

ITTOG.....I'm liking my Ford quite a bit these days. It's hard to believe that it was a year and half and 30,000 plus miles ago that I purchased it.....

Regarding my dogs off leash.....my dogs are fairly well trained but I swear if there's game to chase they forget everything, give me the middle finger, and off they go. And for that very reason they are only off leash when we are on BLM land or National Forest land and that land is not leased land (meaning there's no cattle, sheep, etc. nearby). I'm about as careful as one could be (PNWY.....you are correct on that one).....

I am unable to express in my writings how disappointed I was when I found out that Julian, Lorena and Fabrizio were at the Mexican border getting ready to leave the United States.....we had made plans. But my disappointment was completely selfish and I understood completely their decision to continue south. I arrived in Phoenix, Arizona as planned because I still had a good friend to visit. A rare dinner out at a restaurant, another night in a Walmart parking lot, and a morning walk where we crossed paths with Baby Face (your guess is as good as mine).....

20191113_154634-778x1600.jpg

.....and then we were back on the highway driving further south with a new plan in my mind but that plan was delayed when we stumbled onto Pinal Air Park and we just had to stop to have a look.....

20191115_102010-778x1600.jpg

This sign had no significance to us but damn it was one cool looking sign.....

20191115_102138-1600x778.jpg

I have not taken the time to Google Pinal Air Park but I have a feeling that this place might be a sought after destination.....

20191115_110133-1600x778.jpg

20191115_110710-778x1600.jpg

Tanner and I walked the entire length of the air park.....approximately 2 miles of abandoned airplanes.....

20191115_105452-1600x778.jpg

20191115_110800-1600x778.jpg

Just as we were about to turn around and head back to the truck we were approached by security and I was asked a bunch of questions about my existence so to speak. I have no idea the issue.....maybe they thought I would steal a jet who knows.....

20191115_105317-1600x778.jpg

20191115_103500-1600x778.jpg

It really wasn't important nor that big of a deal.....I enjoyed my walk despite all the questions and I left without any plane parts in my pockets. What was really important was the backdrop to all the big jets.....the big mountains (backdrop) were the reason that we were actually here.....

20191115_110458-1600x304.jpg

The nearly 60,000 acre Ironwood Forest National Monument was next.....

tgil

"Regarding my dogs off leash.....my dogs are fairly well trained but I swear if there's game to chase they forget everything, give me the middle finger, and off they go. And for that very reason they are only off leash when we are on BLM land or National Forest land and that land is not leased land (meaning there's no cattle, sheep, etc. nearby). I'm about as careful as one could be (PNWY.....you are correct on that one)....."

Prey drive is very difficult to overcome for any pooch! Another forum I frequent is a golden retriever forum. I go there to try and get the answers for my "whys". There are some really smart people on that site when it comes to our breed. One of them said of their highly trained, papered, competition winning dogs something along the lines of best behaved dog in all aspects until it sees a squirrel! Honestly, in such breeds, it's a battle!

ITTOG

"Regarding my dogs off leash.....my dogs are fairly well trained but I swear if there's game to chase they forget everything, give me the middle finger, and off they go. And for that very reason they are only off leash when we are on BLM land or National Forest land and that land is not leased land (meaning there's no cattle, sheep, etc. nearby). I'm about as careful as one could be (PNWY.....you are correct on that one)....."

Prey drive is very difficult to overcome for any pooch! Another forum I frequent is a golden retriever forum. I go there to try and get the answers for my "whys". There are some really smart people on that site when it comes to our breed. One of them said of their highly trained, papered, competition winning dogs something along the lines of best behaved dog in all aspects until it sees a squirrel! Honestly, in such breeds, it's a battle!

I have a few people that work for me that get distracted when they see squirrels or bright and shiny things. I guess people are no better. Actually I think people are WAY worse than dogs.

Jerry, glad to hear you are liking the truck now. Also, like you I removed the 4x4 stickers off my truck.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
Hadn't seen a TWA plane in years - just checked and they went bankrupt in 2001, so that plane has been there at least 18 years.

My wife's 3 highly obedient and trained Belgian Malinois become selectively deaf when they see a rabbit or deer in the front yard. Hearing seems to return only when they hit a fence or thick brush and loose sight of the prey.

Fortunately, our horses are used to big dogs running around the place, and once I was able to call the neighbor to collect her Austrian Shepherd circling and barking at the horses. I did have my rifle in hand when she arrived, so she took the issue seriously and we never had a problem with that dog again. It's hard for me to put down any animal, even though very necessary, but as a dog lover, it really disturbs me when it is a dog. If possible, we catch them and haul them to the pound, but it's their owners who should be locked up. Especially the owners who dump their pets in the country thinking they'll find a new home on a farm or ranch.

longhorn1

Observer
Had our Four Wheel Camper since 2014. Nice being able to get places others can't. The flatbeds are nice, but pricy. The slide in Grandby has seen a $10K increase since 2014. Picture taken at my cousins cabin on the Boulder River.

Attachments

• IMG_20191003_110231-1612x1209.jpg
    IMG_20191003_110231-1612x1209.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 37

tgil

Still slowly working through the past. This pic from October 2018, Tanner's eyes look like they could see into your soul!
A couple of posts later, you had to tie them up. Tanner doesn't look like he cares much, but Yukon looks like she is not happy with the circumstances!

I know you don't care much for us to re-post your pics, but I couldn't resist on this one!
573543afd4d709721f30d482c217c765.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ITTOG.....all us dog people like dogs much more than humans. People are reminders of how special dogs are. Kind of like cities are reminders of how special desolate places are.....

Trailboss.....it was also the TWA plane that caught my attention as my sister was once a flight attendant for TWA.....I thought it was pretty cool.....

JD.....maybe you got there before the party started I don't know. I used FWCs option price list and tried to build a camper similar to mine. Of course they don't offer near as much as I got yet the price I came up with was $41,000 which is more than what I paid for my Northern Lite. It makes no sense to me but maybe it's not a fair comparison.....

tgil.....I have no issue with you copying and posting pictures from the past. 152 pages.....amazing that you've chosen to read them all. Someday I'm hopeful that my sons will do the same.....

So the plan now was to spend a few nights camped in Ironwood Forest National Monument.....

20191116_101008-1600x778.jpg

.....and spend the days hiking in the desert and climbing a few of the desert peaks.....

20191115_151131-1600x778.jpg

The first mountain on my list of two was named Waterman Peak (3,830'). Now this wasn't a big climb, nor a big peak (as I stated earlier). This was nothing more than a short hike up a steep desert peak.....

20191115_151645-1600x294.jpg

In the afternoon I went out to have a look at the route and I ended up hiking to the summit.....it was an hour at most from the campers door to the summit.....

20191115_151722-1600x283.jpg

The views from the summit were pretty darn good except for the fact that there's several open mines that kind of ruined the views....

20191115_150425-1600x778.jpg

My hope here was to spot some of the Bighorn Sheep that frequent this mountain range but I was not so lucky this day.....signs of their existence were scattered all over the peak.....

20191115_151426-778x1600.jpg

As I was descending the mountain I noticed a cross on a ridgeline to the north so I departed the down route to go have a look.....

20191115_152742-778x1600.jpg

A Google search told me that this was a memorial to a Vietnam war veteran who's helicopter crashed on the side of the mountain in 2011.....

20191115_152713-1600x778.jpg

The sight of this memorial really slowed me down that late afternoon. I honestly took a moment to pay my respects.....

20191115_152847-1600x778.jpg

When I worked in Alaska in the 70's I spent my days flying in choppers with ex helicopter pilots that had served in the Vietnam War.....these guys were special and they had some of the most amazing stories that you could imagine. This moment brought back memories of my past and I sat there on that mountain reflecting on my life.....

20191115_152830-778x1600.jpg

This mountain was covered in trails that were made as the Bighorn Sheep crisscrossed the mountains in search of food. I tried to take a shortcut from the memorial rather than backtrack to my known way down when I came across this unusual stone.....

20191115_152035-778x1600.jpg

I find that often when hiking in the desert mountains route finding can be rather challenging as so much of the terrain looks the exact same so as the sun was setting I began to realize that I had missed my down route and was wandering aimlessly around. Fortunately on the way up I had built two stone cairns to mark my trail.....

20191115_155236-1600x778.jpg

.....and I was pretty darn happy when I finally saw the first of the two stone cairns.....

20191115_155122-1600x778.jpg

I finally made it back to the camper and that evening we had another glorious sunset.....

20191116_063652-1600x778.jpg

The dogs and I spent that evening outside just enjoying the splendors of Mother Nature.....

20191116_063356-1600x778.jpg

20191116_070538-1600x778.jpg

20191116_063426-1600x778.jpg

The following morning we were off to climb a second peak. The paved road to this one was even rougher than the last paved road that we used to access Waterman Peak.....

20191116_101032-778x1600.jpg

Eventually we departed the paved road, turned into the desert and found ourselves our spot for the next few nights.....

20191116_112027-1600x778.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998