My Journey

longhorn1

Observer
❤️❤️what a wonderful life Yukon had. Grown men do cry, and I'm no exception. Thanks for sharing; I know it is hard. I think of our past labs with a great sadness, but always with a smile

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Jerry, I just went back and read your eulogy for Yukon. She sure was a cute puppy. So very well traveled. I don’t know when I started reading your Journey but you and your pups were on the road long before that point. Amazing all the places you guys have been. I’m very well traveled too, but it would take more time than I have left on earth to catch up. But I have no desire to get back on the road again. Traveling a few times a year is good for me but I know my Kenda wants more.

I’m really looking forward to all your future adventures. Via con dios.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danfromsyr

Adventurer
it's soo much tougher when they're still looking for one of their pack to come home..
they just don't understand..
we had a brother/sister pair and when the brother went 1st from illness his sister was vigilant and would howl calling out for him for a few days/week
I sat with her on the sofa, tears in my eyes as she'd call out and then intently look/listen for a reply.

then after those days, Scout still never stopped looking, she'd charge over to any similar dog (shepard mix) to see if it was her lost brother Ranger..
and then dismiss the other dog with an attitude of don't bother me.. your not MY brother.

but there are always more dogs in need of rescue,. not so much rescue, but a chance at a full and loving life and pack.

Tanner really is heart broken.....yesterday we were in the camper after just finishing a long walk and he just started to cry.....broke my heart.....he has never been without a dog.....

It gives a picture like this a whole new meaning.....

20200216_175353_copy_1200x583.jpg

ITTOG

On pages 172 and 173 you will find REMEMBERING YUKON.....my tribute to my best friend......

We have finally left Tucson, Arizona and are back on the road again. My friend left a few days after Yukon passed away so now it's just Tanner and I plying the highways and backroads. We have adventures planned, mountains to climb, dreams to fulfill.....

I'll be posting soon about our two weeks in Tucson waiting for Yukons remains. It was eventful yet uneventful at the same time. The drive out of Tucson was challenging.....and I'll speak to that as well.....

Thanks to all.....

View attachment 572356
Beautiful words and pictures. I especially love the one were her legs are muddy. I can imagine a good story behind those muddy legs.

I know it is still hard. Time only heals and doesn't fill the hole left behind.

Praying for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

longhorn1

Observer
Jerry, I just went back and read your special tribute to Yukon. The Rainbow Bridge helps with the healing. Thinking of you my friend❤️❤️

Thanks guys.....I appreciate all the feedback and nice comments.....it sure has been a tough period in this old guys life.....

Back to our story.....

I had no plans for what would be next.....I knew I would not leave Tucson witout Yukon and with up to a two week wait on her ashes I had to decide on where we would go next.....stealth camp in the city, camp nearby in the desert, or take up the offer from XP member davidthezoo and camp on their property (thanks so much for the offers). I made the decision to stealth camp north of the city so we left the vets office and drove a bit north to the Tucson Premium Outlet Mall (an outdoor mall) to walk around with Tanner. I really needed a distraction and I felt that my other options just weren't the right fit at that time. A few hours after Yukon had passed, Tanner and I were walking around the mall.....both of the dogs loved this outdoor mall.....Yukon absolutely loved finding all the food that the kids dropped along the sidewalks.....

20200229_100627_copy_1600x778.jpg

And Tanner loved to entertain all the shoppers.....especially all the small kids.....

20200229_095256_copy_1600x778.jpg

As we were walking that evening, not even three hours after Yukon had passed, a massive Pit Bull that was roaming the mall, not on a leash, attacked Tanner, and then me. It was total chaos as I tried my best to beat that dog to its early death. A security guard assisted and eventually we were able to get the dog off of Tanner. We both suffered cuts and punctures, Tanner to his back and me to my right hand.....

20200224_185450_copy_1600x3291.jpg

We came here for a distraction and that's exactly what we got. The owner of the dog eventually arrived and she was as mean a person as I have ever met. She was defiant and claimed no responsibility.....as a matter of fact she claimed that Tanner had attacked her dog (remember she was not there). When I told the officer that I had hurt my hip when I fell and that I had hurt my hand while beating on the dogs head, she said "shut up and quit your whining.....I'm a nurse and your back isn't broken cause you're still standing up and your hand isn't broken cause there's no swelling" (I had not made either of those claims of a broken back or broken hand).....

20200224_183514_copy_1600x3291.jpg

Her dog was put into quarantine for ten days (it's rabies vaccination was expired) and she was given three citations. Her court date was on March 10th.....I don't know the outcome of her court case but I will soon. In the next picture you can see the front half of the woman (owner).....I really wanted to forgive her.....she gave me no reason to do so.....

20200224_194807_copy_1600x3291.jpg

We stayed right up the street from the mall for a few nights and walked here often.....I've got a great spot to stealth camp nearby.....and from the looks of this truck parked at the mall.....fellow explorers like to hang out here too.....

20200228_160650_copy_1600x778.jpg

20200228_160544_copy_1600x778.jpg

As great a distraction that this mauling was, my emotional wounds far outweighed anything that I encountered that evening.....all my thoughts were with Yukon.....and her travels in her new world.....

20200305_084210_copy_1600x778.jpg

After a few days hanging out here, we headed for downtown Tucson to my stealth spot in the city.....I knew that there would be plenty of distractions here.....

20200305_175220_copy_1600x778.jpg

My sentiments as well.....

20200224_132335_copy_1200x2469.jpg

We would spend the next ten nights camped in downtown Tucson.....

20200304_093048_copy_1600x3291.jpg

I don't think I know of any major city like Tucson where you can get away with camping right on a city street and not being hassled at least once. But that's how it is here in Tucson.....the police are quite friendly and I think if you keep a low profile then there is no issue.....

20200306_110322_copy_1600x778.jpg

I walked Historic Fourth Avenue and I walked University Boulevard.....on University Boulevard I met this guy.....now nearly eighty years old.....a retired movie executive and a man with many good.....no.....they were great stories actually.....

20200304_101308_copy_1600x3291.jpg

I walked across the college campus where Tanner is always a huge hit.....and where he made many new friends each day.....

20200304_105823_copy_1600x778.jpg

These students made this earth looking thing.....they were members of a club interested in creating a sustainable earth.....seems like a great idea to me.....

20200304_105434_copy_1600x778.jpg

The campus fountain is beautiful and Tanner loved to stick his tongue into that cold water.....

20200307_082753_copy_1600x778.jpg

20200307_082607_copy_1600x778.jpg

Everyday we would watch the workers on campus set up for the annual book fair where Tanner had made friends with many of these workers as well.....just yesterday I heard that this huge event was canceled due to the spread of the coranavirus.....it's beginning to get scary.....

20200307_083049_copy_1600x778.jpg

I talked with the homeless often.....

20200304_143600_copy_1600x3291.jpg

These are not all bad people as one was to say to me as tears streamed down his cheeks.....he was only on his fourth night of being homeless....

The city was the distraction that I needed.....I was still in denial as I finally left the chaos of the city.....and I just couldn't imagine what life would be like traveling without my best friend.....

20200220_104936_copy_1200x2469.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Was the security guard armed? He should have put that dog down. Then he should have stuffed a dirty rag in the owner’s mouth to gag her.

Damn shame you had to encounter a bad dog just after loosing a good dog.

With all the walks you do in cities I would recommend carrying pepper spray. I would, but I very rarely stay in any city. I don’t even like to see the city lights on the horizon.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furbucket

Observer
It is not surprising at all that bad people beget bad dogs... Glad you guys are alright.

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen using Tapatalk

BigDawwg

-[Gettin-it Done]-
Hey Jerry,,,,, I had that same situation happen to me last fall, when walking Murphy on his leash, a DAM pitbull cross-breed Doberman,,,,,, but here in Alaska, most of us are Packing, when out and about anyway,,,, and yea me with my S&W 329PD .44mag, carried in a cross-draw shoulder-rig, -[see attached]- so I saw this Dog coming, and he was coming FAST, I pulled and put one in the Dirt right in front of him,,,, he pulled-up real Quick, about 10 yards out,,,,, and about that time the owner came running around the corner of his fence and was yelling at me and the Dog,,,,,, he got to the Dog, which hadn't moved from where he stopped,,,,, and grabbed the Dog by his collar, and started chewing me out,,,,, and I said to him, in a calm voice, next time it won't be in the Dirt,,,,, he didn't say anything back, just dragged that Dog back into his yard, and shut the gate, I walked by there again yesterday, as it's on one of my route's that I take,,,,,, he was backing out of his garage, saw me, just kind of glared at me, I just smiled, and pulled my coat back a bit,,,, so he could see that .44........
Thats my Story, and I'm sticking to it........ :cool:

Attachments

• LJ's_S&W_329PD_Mag-Na-Ported 001.jpg
    LJ's_S&W_329PD_Mag-Na-Ported 001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 62

tgil

Just made it back to read the "Remembering Yukon" posts. Beautiful words about your girl!

On the pit...I wish there was something that could be done about them. I realize there are many wonderful, friendly, awesome, family pits out there until one day they aren't!
Not terribly long ago we were at a dog park. There was a blue healer or something similar that was entertaining to watch as it fetched a frisbee. Along came a pit. We were leaving the area when the growling and yelping started followed by frantic screams from dog owners. The owners of the pit and the other dog were doing all they could to get the pit off of the other one. Finally they did and the victim seemed to be ok. As we left there, I tried to think how I would handle a similar situation if it happened to my dog. It wouldn't end well for any of us!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

danfromsyr

Adventurer
a pit off a leash is a bad owner and a bad pit.

as a breed they certainly do NOT have a verbal leash.. not if/when fixated on a target..

Ace.....no he was not armed and my opinion is that the owner should be shot.....not the dog. She was a piece of work. We've healed now and I forgive her.....poor thing is just ignorant.....

Furbucket.....thanks.....

Bigdawwg.....dang !

tgil.....my opinion is that it usually goes back to the owner. Go to any animal shelter and look for "Dogs Available" and it's filled with dogs similar to this. I don't get it.....

danfromsyr.....I agree 100 %.....

Greg.....the worst is nearly over.....as far as this thread goes.....

Once again we are driving east.....once again back onto Interstate 10. The first stop that day would be in Benson, Arizona simply to stretch the legs a bit and to grab lunch in the camper. As soon as I pulled into this vacant lot I was greeted by this trio of Jeep loving sisters.....

20200307_115302_copy_1600x778.jpg

These three ladies seemed to love Jeeps more than anything in the world. They were talking engine sizes and transmission swaps which was all fine by me.....but when they asked how long I'd be in town I thought it best to hit the road.....and we were gone in a flash.....

20200307_115647_copy_1600x778.jpg

Now we're back on the highway headed east when I see the sign for Cochise Stronghold.....further along I see the sign for Chiricahua National Monument.....I was not prepared for what came next. Like a pile of bricks dropped on me.....I was overcome with emotion as I began to realize that I was leaving Yukon behind. I was now driving through the places that we had spent our last days together.....to the north was the beautiful snow covered Mount Graham, the hot springs and Gila Box.....and then the highway was surrounded by the same amazing yellow flowers much like where I had taken Yukon just a few weeks prior.....

20200307_133755_copy_1600x3291.jpg

I had to take the next exit and take it all in.....there's a lot to work through as no doubt many here will understand.....

20200307_133838_copy_1600x778.jpg

Tanner and I walked through the fields of the flowers.....and then it was time to move on.....once again.....

20200307_134706_copy_1600x778.jpg

We nearly reached New Mexico that day but I elected to take the last exit in Arizona and we headed south down a BLM road to spend the night alone.....I was done with the chaos of the city.....I was ready for my solitude.....

20200307_151812_copy_1600x778.jpg

That evening we had some incredible skies as the sun set in the west.....

20200307_182743_copy_1600x778.jpg

Tanner and I walked miles and miles that evening and into the night.....

20200307_182904_copy_1600x778.jpg

I thanked Sky Dog for the wonderful sunset that evening.....

20200307_182920_copy_1600x778.jpg

Always thankful.....

20200309_063319_copy_1600x778.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998