My kids new ride D90 project

Skookumchuck

Observer
Well just made a deal for the kids first landy, buy the time he gets it rebuilt he will have his license. Here is what it looks like now.:Wow1: and the last picture is what we want it to look like after (the rig is someone's on this form and a sweet looking landy)

Attachments

• Defender90 004.jpg
    Defender90 004.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Defender90 005.jpg
    Defender90 005.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Defender90 007.jpg
    Defender90 007.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 150

rijosho

Adventurer
very cool undertaking.

Details! Wher'd it come from, year, condition (yeah I see it, but I'm talking rust), engine (seized?), tranny, vendors you two will be using to source parts, etc. etc.

You know what they say about Defender "restorations" ... come up with the highest/worst case scenario for your project (both time and money), then double it. :)

Skookumchuck

Observer
We bought it off of a guy who has 4 110's and a few series III all EX_MOD's from the British Base in Suffield, AB Canada. He is selling them off. the motor is good, the frame is near mint and the rest of the drivetrain is in good shape. We do need to find a 5 speed manual trany. We are still debating weather to make it a hardtop or go with a soft top. We will need a new dash and plan to upgrade the seats to Racing seats with the 5 point harnesses. We will be taking lots of pictures as we get into it. it is a 1989

rijosho

Adventurer
Nice. Well, if the rust has been kept at bay, you're already a few steps ahead! It looks like there are at least footwells where the snow has accumulated, so maybe your bulkhead is in good condition as well.

I'd go ST (maybe a fastback) with that cage that's already on it...but I'm partial to soft tops. :)

Last edited:

Storz

Explorer
I am a big fan of the hard top utility style...

D90.UKhtTDI.jpg

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Looks like you've got plenty of work there..... :Wow1:

Give Vern at the Rover Shop in Calgary a call, he may have a tranny in his parts bin, otherwise it's a hunt around the forums for one.

Best of luck.....

Skookumchuck

Observer
We have decided to go with the soft top. the Body color will be Coast Guard Blue (Midnight Blue). I am looking forward to geting into it as soon as the weather improves. Our new place does't have a great shop, I sure miss thae last house we had a great 40 x60 foot shop with a paint booth, overhead crane and all sorts of good toys.

Skookumchuck

Observer
I am going to need door tops and seats for sure, posssible a new dash as well. What would you recomend for the front seats? would it be much work to put in racing seats? The kid thinks they would be cool and it is his truck lol.

rijosho

Adventurer
Does it already have the seat box and seat rails (I didn't see a seat box)? You can try to source some Corbeaus...those seem to fit nicely (and they used Corbeaus on the SVX Defenders). Some are crazy expensive, but you can also find a pretty good amount of used pair.

How many people will this seat when it's done?

WoldD90

Adventurer
We have decided to go with the soft top. the Body color will be Coast Guard Blue (Midnight Blue). I am looking forward to geting into it as soon as the weather improves. Our new place does't have a great shop, I sure miss thae last house we had a great 40 x60 foot shop with a paint booth, overhead crane and all sorts of good toys.

And you willingly moved away? They would have to send the Army in to get me out of a place like that.

This will be a long, but fun build for both you and your son.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger