My lid is too heavy, any ideas?

jwtrapper

Observer
I am almost finished with my trailer, I'll post up some pictures soon. The only problem I am having is my lid ended up being too darn heavy. Its a 4x6 trailer and my lid is shaped like /-------\ if you would look at it from the front or back. I skinned it with 16 gauge because that is what I used on the rest of the trailer. My problem is with the lid and the roof top tent on it its just too heavy. I had 2 100lbs lifts on it and it wont hold or help much to open it. The trailer supply place that is local to me only had one 120 lbs lift and I swapped it out with one side but that didn't make any differance. I am now trying to figure something else out like an air over Hydraulic ram to lift the lid. Any Ideas? I need some and in a hurry because we leave for Utah in 7 days.

Overland

Observer
hey, the lid on my trailer ended up being around 150lbs and the RTT is about the same. i have 2 x 100lb struts and they open it fine. i had to play with placement of them a little before i got it right. maybe you have tried that already but just an idea. i even ended up making adjustable brackets for the struts so if i add more weight to the lid i can compensate by shifting the struts.

Overland

Observer
here is a link to my build so you can see the lid and how i mounted the struts and made the top end of each adjustable. it's the only pics i have for now, hope it helps.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23824&page=2

set up as it is in those pics as soon as i release the latches the lid just swings up all by itself even with the tent on it....it's a bit of a job to close it alone to be honest.

Last edited:

OlympiaFJ60

Adventurer
I had the same problem as my tent/top ended up being over 300#. At first I had too light of struts, two #120, I ended up getting two #250, then they were too close to the hinge. I ended up making them open to be nearly 45 deg, pushing. The strut is connected to the lid near the center and the trailer closer to the latch rather than the hinge.

jwtrapper

Observer
my problem is going to be the tail gate is right in the middle so it limits were the spring can be placed, at least at one end of the trailer.

Did the 250lbs work?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger