My m416 finally finished - and unveiled! (not 56k-friendly)

bmonday

Adventurer
I've posted some teaser images previously, but here's the Full Monty on my just-recently-finished m416 project.

I had a great head start, thanks to Sergeant Grunt (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7833), who had acquired the trailer from the Marine Corps after they trashed the tongue. He put a Hannibal tent on a custom rack, and put it on 33s, in addition to replacing the tongue and giving it a great paint job.

Here's what it looked like when I got it home the first time:
r_DSCN0292.JPG

Notice the precious PRECIOUS cargo in the trailer. If you're from a 3.2 state like Oklahoma, you can appreciate the value of a trailer-full of Fat Tire, fresh from the brewery in Fort Collins!

Here are shots of the trailer today. Most of the welding work was done by Mike at Custom 4x4 Fabrication, here in Oklahoma City. Guy does fantastic work, and you can tell he takes pride in the details. he did all the shelves for the can mounts, the welding on the tongue, and mounting the latches, among other things that are not apparent in these pics (like reinforcing the rear bumper).

r_DSCN0416.JPG

r_DSCN0417.JPG

r_DSCN0414.JPG

r_DSCN0413.JPG

r_DSCN0412.JPG

r_DSCN0410.JPG

r_DSCN0408.JPG

r_DSCN0407.JPG

r_DSCN0406.JPG

The can holders are from Adventure Trailers, obviously, and the Wedco cans I got from Expedition Exchange. The tongue box is a military surplus medical crate, which is surprisingly lightweight and waterproof. The latches were sourced from Grainger. The receiver welded to the underside of the tongue is for my lock-n-roll (not pictured), also from AT. This design allows me to use the pintle hook still, if necessary, and the extension used with the lock-n-roll effectively nullifies the use of the lunette if someone was tring to steal the trailer. The tie-down rails on the interior are by Core-Trax (Costco, and apparently only Costco, sells a bundle of long and short Core-Trax for a good price)

Higher res versions of these pics, plus a few more, can be found in my gallery here: http://bmonday.com/gallery/45.aspx. Just click on the thumbnail to bring up the individual pic, and then click "Original Image" for the high-res (1600x1200 or more) version.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see more pics about a particular aspect of the project.

BMonday

Last edited:
Any pics of these in use? What do you put there, they appear to not be high enough for standard scepters/NATO cans.

r_DSCN0408.JPG

Also, how did you mount the USGI medical supply container? Bolt-on? And does the AT Fuel Can carriers get in the way of the latches in the back of the crate? How are the can carriers mounted?

I am planning a VERY similar list of mods to my M101CDN as you did to your 416.

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Great job on the trailer Beau.

Now I see what you did with all of those AT can holders.

bmonday

Adventurer
I'll be honest: I don't really have a plan for the rear shelves. It just seemed like a waste of space, so I relocated the tail lights to sit above the bumper, and had the shelves built.

I've been playing around with them though.

They just happen to be the PERFECT size for 3 of the Czech 1gal fuel cans that you can get at places like Cheaper Than Dirt:
m416_done_1galcans.jpg

I might play with using those cans for carrying spare oil, octane boost, or other vital fluids.

They actually will fit a standard 5gal can (with proper strapping, such as a quickfist), but not sure I like them in that position. They are awfully exposed:
m416_done_5galcan_rear.jpg

Water might be OK there.

Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera doesn't do well in low-light with the flash.

Last edited:

bmonday

Adventurer
Regarding the rear latches on the medical crate: Yes, those are blocked by the can holders (and cans) in the configuration I have them in currently. So I don't use the 2 outermost latches, and use just the middle latch where the PowerTank is sitting. Frankly there are so many latches on that crate, I am sure I could ignore all the rear latches and it would be fine.

I'll post some closeups of that area tomorrow. There is a shelf installed there, that the can holders are bolted to. All the shelves can be removed.

The medical crate is bolted to the tongue with u-bolts that go up through the bottom of the crate through holes I drilled for that purpose.

dieselandmud

Adventurer
Great job! Now I have a few more ideas for my 416.
I'm very interested in seeing some pics of the frame in the rear where the bumper is mounted and the front with the extensions mounted to the old frame.

blupaddler

Conspirator
The trailer looks good. I was wondering where that went.

Question... what is the size of tubing/metal that forms the lid attachment to the trailer? How is it attached to the trailer? Is it welded or bolted? Or?

What is the lid made from? Do you have a "seal" around the lip to keep dirt/dust out? Would or could you post any pic of the underside of the lid frame?

Thanks so much!!!
:jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78