My M416

kai38

Explorer
I've been towing this M416 for ten years. First behind a '84 FJ60,'95 FZJ80 a '06 4 dr Tacoma, & now a '07 FJ Cruiser. Its been a great gadget to have, When I bought it ($375.00) it was desert camo, I tried to sand blast it, it didn't do any thing to it. I bought some of the best chemical paint stripper I could buy and it still didn't do a thing to remove the paint. I took a cheap grinder to it and I'm sure I inhaled too much of the chemical resistant paint, so I just did an urban camo paint job on it. Easy to touch up just get the rattle cans out and paint.
It has a RTT mounted on it, tailgate cut into it. Did a spring over one day when I was bored. This week I finally got around to mounting ammo cans on the side.
Here are a few pictures:
Outside Jackson WY. during a 2 week road trip.
0d519bab169563a09269fbc405f2c1f3.jpg

After the spring over comparing height to FZJ80 Land Cruiser
ae8a17e8533157dc7908d771d3955740.jpg

After spring over
9fa940f7d995b440f3d5ff443fb6d819.jpg

4th of July 2003
aba1ae4b7e286e8d5cb7e710b8c7f544.jpg

Before the spring over I expermentated by placing coil springs between frame & leaf springs.
9b0d76af5cee5239fee5a8a8de49c1da.jpg

New storage boxes added this week
fb1ceaca74c9f75feda3fa4f5e35cabf.jpg

Swing down bracket
ed19e29a4f434f46cd7e4d26f642160d.jpg

Camping at City of Rocks NM
da2c8710a593ee24540ab2a579929cdc.jpg

Spring over pt 1 http://www.pbase.com/kai38/spring_over_m416_trailer
pt 2 http://www.pbase.com/kai38/spring_over_part_2&page=all

socaljeeper

Adventurer
How well did the suspension do with the coil springs before the spring over? Did you notice a big difference? Nice trailer!

kai38

Explorer
How well did the suspension do with the coil springs before the spring over? Did you notice a big difference? Nice trailer!

Its been 4 yrs since I had those springs underneath. They helped with the load in the trailer, really didn't see much change off road or towing down the road.
I think I bought them from JC Whitney for something else and squeezed them into the trailer just because I had them.

kai38

Explorer
How did you mount the tent and is it stable when you are in it?[/QUOT

I used a 2x2 angle iron bolted to the edge of the trailer, on top of that I bolted a 2x2 square with the top part of a Yakima 1A tower mounted to it. The Yakima cross bars are then mounted through the 1A mounts.
fb1ceaca74c9f75feda3fa4f5e35cabf.jpg

The tent sits on top of the cross bars and are held on at 4 points with 2 bolts each with flat plates inside and the flat plates used underneath bent & curved to the round cross bar when I tighten them down. The plates are like this but used with bolts not u-bolts, that way they lay flat underneath the matteres.
u-bolt.gif

The cross bars are longer on the side where the tent flips open to help support the open 1/2 of the tent. That & the ladder make it very stable.

The trailer is stable, I use to sleep with my 2 kids in there when they were smaller. I always worried about it tipping backwards but it never has. I set the brake and put wheel chocks in front & back of the tires also.

RJ40

Adventurer
Which RTT is that? It looks like it about covers the whole trailer bed nicely. Are those mil. boxes 20mm ammo cans? Very functional and rugged...
I like it!

Cheers!

kai38

Explorer
Which RTT is that? It looks like it about covers the whole trailer bed nicely. Are those mil. boxes 20mm ammo cans? Very functional and rugged...
I like it!

Cheers!

I bought the tent from Safari Trailers (out of business now) & its has a label sewn on that says Bedouin Tent. It looks like others on the market so I think it was just relabeled. I think they are 2mm boxes I'm picking the trailer up in 1/ hr I need to paint it I'll post new pictures this evening.

brian64

Great looking trailer! What tires are you using? Are you using them as tubeless? I'm looking to change out the stock tires on my M416 but don't want to switch wheels right now.

kai38

Explorer
Great looking trailer! What tires are you using? Are you using them as tubeless? I'm looking to change out the stock tires on my M416 but don't want to switch wheels right now.
I'll have to go look at the tires I'm not sure the brand or size, I remember they came from Discount Tires. They are tubeless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998